First Purchase of a Double Rifle

John Kirk

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA,SCI
Hunted
USA, Africa, New Zealand South Island
Looking to purchase my first double rifle and have ran across a couple of different doubles that I have been contemplating for awhile and cannot decide the route to go.

Currently looking at a Medwell & Perrett and can find little to nothing about their build quality. Their website does not have any doubles currently listed.

Was wandering if one anyone has a Medwell & Perrett double, and second if not does anyone know of the quality of their doubles?

I want a sidelock in 470NE. I had run across a Rigby but it was when they were made in Paso Robles and after researching choose to pass on that one.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Looking to do a dangerous game hunt in 2023 for my 50th....First hunt was in the Eastern Cape and had a great time on that hunt.

Well one was listed for 40k, I sure hope they aren’t a slouch at that price!

If you are looking at DG you need something that is rugged and dependable. Why are you considering something you know nothing about? There are many of the more common brands to look at that have a good track record in the DG field, like Krieghoff, Merkel, Chapuis and Heym to mention but a few. Enjoy the search though. I have ordered a Heym, first class at reasonable cost.

For a working double it would be hard to beat a Krieghoff or Heym. Both companies are top notch and in control of everything that goes into their doubles...lock, stock and barrel(s).

Of the two, I'd prefer the K-gun for the Combi-Cocking Device and the safety it provides.

From the reading that I have done it is a quality Double. Just hitting the knowledge base on Africa Hunting to see if anyone has had any experience with this maker.

Do not like the K-guns...Heym I have been looking at as a backup to this one.

The big thing about double rifles is...what are you REALLY buying? Is it a money pit or a just a really good deal? Making these kinds of assessments with just a few pictures off the internet is nearly impossible, but even in the hand most people wouldn't know a lemon if it was staring them in the face.

Take the time to properly educate yourself on EXACTLY what you are buying or buy a new quality double from a quality maker and avoid most of these issues.

Agree with your comment. I intend to take a trip to see the rifle and have it evaluated by someone who knows double rifles. I can access most modern guys and bolt rifles but have limited knowledge of what to look for in a double rifle....

From the reading that I have done it is a quality Double. Just hitting the knowledge base on Africa Hunting to see if anyone has had any experience with this maker.

Do not like the K-guns...Heym I have been looking at as a backup to this one.
You are tracking a very rare rifle. From what I understand, they are a small UK firm that produces a very few high quality rifles each year. I have never seen one of their doubles, but I have handled a lovely Mauser by them that was a .416 of some sort if I remember correctly.

Their bolt actions are considered quality pieces and will sell between 8 and 12K USD on the used market depending upon the bells and whistles.

Like all used doubles, you need to evaluate the rifle itself as closely as the name on the action. Insure that it is on face, that the barrel solder is in good shape, and that the action screws haven't been buggered up by a screwdriver and the work of some shade tree gunsmith. Fully half the doubles (shotguns or rifles) that I look at every year have one or more issues that would cause me to walk away. Assuming, however, that this rifle is lightly used, a huge advantage will be that you can contact the maker, and almost certainly get the exact regulation load.

I don't know what to advise you about value, but again, I would note that their bolt actions are well respected. Again, assuming it is an honest gun, I would be surprised if it were priced less than 15 -18K.

I have been on Champlin website multiple times looking at 470s I cant afford. LOL Good idea I will reach out tomorrow.

Looking to purchase my first double rifle and have ran across a couple of different doubles that I have been contemplating for awhile and cannot decide the route to go.

Currently looking at a Medwell & Perrett and can find little to nothing about their build quality. Their website does not have any doubles currently listed.

Was wandering if one anyone has a Medwell & Perrett double, and second if not does anyone know of the quality of their doubles?

I want a sidelock in 470NE. I had run across a Rigby but it was when they were made in Paso Robles and after researching choose to pass on that one.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Looking to do a dangerous game hunt in 2023 for my 50th....First hunt was in the Eastern Cape and had a great time on that hunt.
Woah!!! Why would you want to pay anything near that price? Listen to everyone on this forum including me who has one to two quality DR. For $12,000-$16,000 you can get a very nice dependable DR

Woah!!! Why would you want to pay anything near that price? Listen to everyone on this forum including me who has one to two quality DR. For $12,000-$16,000 you can get a very nice dependable DR
I like to purchase firearms for a lifetime...I rarely if ever sell one. I also like for my firearms to be unique. There are no sidelocks for 12k-16k and I want a sidelock. I understand that you can get a quality DR for 12k and less. I'm not knocking those DRs. This particular one hits all my wants and I am checking to see if it hits the most important have to have which is reliability and function. I know that Medwell & Perrett make excellent bolt guns... This does not always translate into DRs as we all know are a different breed to get right.

This is why I reached out to the Africa Hunting community. Was hoping for someone to have first hand experience with Medwell & Perrett DRs. My next steps will be to give the maker a call and see what I can find out from the maker.

Thanks to all for input.

Completely understand your thinking. You will just find the AH community is very protective of each other and always want to help. Good luck! I am sure you will be happy with whatever you choose

John, from your original post you do not mention if you have ever shot a double rifle before. In my experience, shooting a double rifle is a completely different animal. Remember the quote "everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face". Nothing can be truer when shooting a powerful double rifle. I can remember the first time I touched off my 500 NE, my world changed. My face hurt, my knuckle was banged up and I looked over at my friend and said, "holy shit, I got another barrel". Everything I thought I knew about shooting rifles went out the window. To cut right to the chase, your double rifle experience will be more pleasant and less expensive in the long run if you can shoot the gun and be somewhat fitted (if buying used). I went the used gun route when I first got into the game and luckily the gun was very close to my specs. I loved the double and decided to get a gun fitted to me. Today when I shoulder that 500 NE, it's like putting on my bedroom slippers. It just feels right. I have also shot double rifles that didn't fit me. That makes for a not so pleasant experience to say the least. In conclusion, go out and shoot a few if possible and get a feel of what you are getting into. If you are in Eastern NC, stop by and we'll pop off a few. Good luck on your adventure.

JDE, I agree when I finally get my DR I will have it fitted at that time. I have several large bore bolt actions from 375 up to a 416 Remington magnum. I dont find the 416 to be terrible and it has similar energy to the 470 NE. I would think that the Rem 416 has a sharper impulse than what I expect from the 470 NE to be more of a push. I could be wrong.

JDE, I agree when I finally get my DR I will have it fitted at that time. I have several large bore bolt actions from 375 up to a 416 Remington magnum. I dont find the 416 to be terrible and it has similar energy to the 470 NE. I would think that the Rem 416 has a sharper impulse than what I expect from the 470 NE to be more of a push. I could be wrong.
Well it's a non issue now. Gun sold kicking myself for not getting it. Guess I will have to keep looking. Side lock DR'S are rare as he s teeth with the caveat of being relatively Ffordable, lol.

There is a Manton sidelock ejector .470 NE that William Larkin Moore has listed on Gunsinternational for the same price as the one you originally were interested in. Have you seen that one? It is a very nice condition classic prewar British gun handsomely engraved and cased in its original oak and leather case. Also, you may be able to get it for a bit less if you called. I am not sure if it is against forum rules to post a link here or I would do it but you may want to check it out.

@John Kirk - I understand the desire to have quality, unique firearms however this is a big gamble with limited knowledge on obscure makers and older doubles in general. I see the one you were interested in has sold - my advice is similar to others who have posted. If it were me I’d contact George Caswell / JJ and have them either find you one, or at a minimum have any potential rifle shipped to them for testing/regulation ands inspection. Those knowledgeable folks have forgot more about double rifles than most of know. Just my $0.02

@vette447 I have looked at that 470 Manton and it is in good condition. (It is out of my price range) It would be worth his time to call them and also the advice on calling George Caswell / JJ is solid advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg