Wade J VanGinkel

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Well after a couple years of owning it I finally took the little rifle out hunting this year. I never took it before as I prefer bigger calibers for serious hunts and had very little experience with anything that small.
But I drew a doe tag and decided this would be the perfect opportunity to try it out.
It's topped with a Leopold freedom 4x12.
Compared to my 7mag this rifle carries like a feather and was quite delightful for the short hike I took it on.
I shot a nice doe in the neck at 165 yards using cheap ppu 140gr soft points. Dropped like a rock.
I hope to take it out more in the future if I get similar tags here in Colorado or elsewhere.

Sadly after I shot the doe I had to watch a 180 class 6x5 in full rut stroll by at 30 yards. I had filled my buck tag the night before on a far smaller buck.
I'll attach the pictures of all the deer we took in less than 3 days hunting this year for the whole family. Best year I've seen in my area for buck numbers in a very long time. But also the first time the rut hit just as the season opened.
All the other deer were taken with 7mag, 30-06, and a 300 Winchester. By myself, my grandson, my son, and his wife.

20221113_153239.jpg
20221113_144802.jpg
20221029_084327.jpg
received_3436874319882960.jpeg
13845.jpeg
13755.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be after we spend the next several days cutting meat. Lol
At least half will be made into Jerky though
@Wade J VanGinkel
As they say the real work begins after the shot but it's well worth all the effort. Eat well mate and enjoy.
Bob

The big ones always stroll by without a care in the world after you fill your tag on a smaller one. Same thing happened to my Dad this past weekend!

Well after a couple years of owning it I finally took the little rifle out hunting this year. I never took it before as I prefer bigger calibers for serious hunts and had very little experience with anything that small.
But I drew a doe tag and decided this would be the perfect opportunity to try it out.
It's topped with a Leopold freedom 4x12.
Compared to my 7mag this rifle carries like a feather and was quite delightful for the short hike I took it on.
I shot a nice doe in the neck at 165 yards using cheap ppu 140gr soft points. Dropped like a rock.
I hope to take it out more in the future if I get similar tags here in Colorado or elsewhere.

Sadly after I shot the doe I had to watch a 180 class 6x5 in full rut stroll by at 30 yards. I had filled my buck tag the night before on a far smaller buck.
I'll attach the pictures of all the deer we took in less than 3 days hunting this year for the whole family. Best year I've seen in my area for buck numbers in a very long time. But also the first time the rut hit just as the season opened.
All the other deer were taken with 7mag, 30-06, and a 300 Winchester. By myself, my grandson, my son, and his wife.

View attachment 500363View attachment 500364View attachment 500365View attachment 500366View attachment 500367View attachment 500368
The 6.5x55 is one of the best hunting & target cartridges for medium game i have been using one from the 1970s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross