First hand knowledge with the CEB Raptors

Questions?? How are you? Last week I was telling some buddies about Bastard Bullet Works and all the testing on bullets.
Tired, old and decrepit...........HEH.......... Been busy since spring, lots of stuff going on, not much shooting until a couple of weeks ago. Been working on a new little project, 20 inch 458 Winchester, doing some new load data with different bullets, and some pressure works.........good gun.......

I remember those Copper Raptors, they were a little different to manipulate, but we figured it out.... .474 as I recall, I think I probably still have a few of those..........

What are the effects on the meat of using a larger caliber on smaller game. I’m planning on trying 175gr raptors out of my 8x68 for a moose/elk hunt, but if a nice buck were to come along, what sort of meat damage would there be from the blades?
Well I don't suspect much meat damage from the small caliber on a moose...... On a moose those smaller caliber blades will all remain internal.....

Well I don't suspect much meat damage from the small caliber on a moose...... On a moose those smaller caliber blades will all remain internal.....
Sorry I meant carrying a moose caliber and a deer steps out

Sorry I meant carrying a moose caliber and a deer steps out
I would not shoot the shoulder if that is what you are after...... lungs........

I would not shoot the shoulder if that is what you are after...... lungs........
Would the heavier blades of a larger caliber blast through the far side shoulder muscle as they expand outwards? I’m not sure how much energy and penetration they have

Would the heavier blades of a larger caliber blast through the far side shoulder muscle as they expand outwards? I’m not sure how much energy and penetration they have
Of a deer I assume...... 416 caliber+ blades might slice through far shoulder, but probably get stuck in the hide far side. Behind the shoulder probably some would exit unless contacting something heavier, such as bone.....

I have had 9.3 caliber blades exit far side of red hartebeest through the ribs and such.....I have had 9.3 caliber blades far side of zebra hides... and inside far side rib cage.....

All blades, regardless of caliber/velocity have stayed inside buffalo.... LOL....... but all broadside shots the main bullet exits.... in fact, it is extremely rare to recover a main bullet in any animal. The only ones I have seen were end to end, or severe raking shots where there was more than 3-4 feet of travel.

Recovered a main bullet from a buffalo shot with a 420 Raptor frontal shot, found it on the far side of the stomach..... Heart had a very very large hole in it.......

Hard to say exactly lot of it depends on caliber, distance, velocity at impact, and about 1000 other factors that can occur in the field.........

Of a deer I assume...... 416 caliber+ blades might slice through far shoulder, but probably get stuck in the hide far side. Behind the shoulder probably some would exit unless contacting something heavier, such as bone.....

I have had 9.3 caliber blades exit far side of red hartebeest through the ribs and such.....I have had 9.3 caliber blades far side of zebra hides... and inside far side rib cage.....

All blades, regardless of caliber/velocity have stayed inside buffalo.... LOL....... but all broadside shots the main bullet exits.... in fact, it is extremely rare to recover a main bullet in any animal. The only ones I have seen were end to end, or severe raking shots where there was more than 3-4 feet of travel.

Recovered a main bullet from a buffalo shot with a 420 Raptor frontal shot, found it on the far side of the stomach..... Heart had a very very large hole in it.......

Hard to say exactly lot of it depends on caliber, distance, velocity at impact, and about 1000 other factors that can occur in the field.........
Fair enough, looking forward to seeing results firsthand

New brass with a plug of leather in the primer pocket? I would think that or a plug of an old boot soul would work.

You know that just might. I guess all it needs is just some resistance for the firing pins
I made a set of snap caps for my 9.3x74R using the replacement erasers from an eraser pencil. They are just slightly larger diameter than a primer, making for a good, snug fit, and I cut them just proud of the primer pocket. They compress a little closing the double, but don't leave them too long or it will impede closing correctly. It took a little experimenting to get the length just right. If they ever wear out, pretty cheap and easy to replace. Put the same bullet on top as what it's regulated with and filled the case with the same "charge" with clean sand from the back yard. Made 4 of them to practice a 4 round firing sequence and used red nail polish ("borrowed" from the GF's excessive supply) to clearly identify as dummy rounds. Only cost was 4 pieces of brass and 4 bullets, and a dimes worth of eraser.
Based on what I've seen after "firing", the eraser primer should last a long time. The ejectors have no issue popping the still loaded cases out either, just doesn't throw them 10' like an empty. I have a pair of factory snap caps, but prefer these as the weight is right for the reload.
It's been fun following your adventure with the new double! Looking forward to reading about your first hunt with it. My Chapuis is headed to moose camp in October and hopefully will fill the freezer with a cow moose! If I have time to find a better load for it, a Pedersoli Mark IV double in 45-70 will be the backup; still working on finding a load that regulates properly (for me) in it.
While some seem to want to restrict a double as far as range goes, I'm finding them to be perfectly capable at longer ranges. I've put 6 consecutive rounds from the Chapuis, using both barrels, into a 6-7" group at 225 yards, standing, off a set of Gunstix. You're looking to be close to finding that proper load for yours also, based on those targets you've posted.

A little late to the party but my experience with the Raptors has been nothing short of a death ray from heaven.
My 500 NE shot the 475gr raptors and 510gr solids to the same point of impact with not to much tail chasing on the powder charge.
The raptors are getting 2360fps and the solids are getting 2350fps Via lab radar.
A mature bull Giraffe at 40 yards was the first thing I shot with Them.
His heart and lungs were completely jello…..
plains game was DRT as well, My Buffalo was slightly quartering at 77 yards fell over dead in his tracks, from the neck/shoulder junction shot.
upon investigation the core of the raptor exited and went thru a medium sized mopani tree that was about 5 feet behind the Buffalo…just wild performance. We found a blade from the raptor lodged in a vertebrae of his spine also.
long story short there is no other bullet I want to use out of my 500 except the combo listed above.
The increased velocity of the lighter for caliber weight is absolutely devastating. And also provides a noticeably flatter trajectory at extended ranges which can be handy if a bad situation arises and a far follow up shot is needed especially with the big doubles.
my only experience with that somewhat was a follow up on a zebra a friend had shot a bit low in the brisket, after 1/2 mile of trailing the zebra was in the edge of a mopani clearing with his body facing dead away from me walking at about 95 yards I put the front sight under the base of his tail and shot the zebra went about 5 yards and died.
we found the core of the raptor lodged under the skin in his throat in a perfect line from the inside of his left butt check, it had penetrated the length of a zebra…quite a thick unit indeed. I rough measured with my rifle 60“ of overall penetration from that shot.
To say I LOVE the CEB bullets Is a understatement.
One thing with the Raptors and doubles is use the talon tips as they help provide a higher impact velocity but lots of bolt actions don’t have the room in the box for a extra 1/4” lol.
I have also used them in other calibers with great succes.
next project is the 82gr raptor in a 270…

looks like you got them shooting Great too…:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg