First Double

49cub

AH member
Reaction score
If you saw my first post this is the follow up. I ended up getting a Blaser S2 Luxus in 500 NE. It arrived this morning to my FFL and I took off and picked it up, just could not wait. I decided on the 500 because Midway had Norma soft points on clearance and I could get the 470 or 500 for about same price, so I figured bigger is better. I bought all 7 boxes midway had left and it showed up today also. Since work wasn't busy and I'm supposed to be outta town the next two days I took it and ran to our outdoor range and played.

First the rifle, it's beautiful. The wood has better grain than I figured it would. I love the sights, they are different, but I love them. I like the cocking/decocking lever. The rifle comes up naturally and the sights jump to eye. The recoil is more than the 470 I fired but not as bad as a 3 1/2" turkey load, I don't think. At first I thought the balance was too far forward, but after shooting it I think that helps a lot with barrel jump. Altogether I think it is a magnificent rifle for no more than a Sabatti at Cabelas.

As soon as I can get a decent picture of the beast I'll try and upload it.

This brings me to two questions. First is on double maintenance, not really talking bore cleaning since everyone has their own ideas on that, but action cleaning/lubing. In all the research I've been doing about all I see is make sure to grease the hinge pin, not oil. What else?

Second, on reloading. About the only reference I see brought up is the Wright book? Is there any other resource? Most internet recipes call for IMR 4350 about 105 grains below a 570 grain sp. does anyone use this load? I know it will depend entirely on what will regulate in my rifle, but what is the starting point for this load, 94.5 grains?(10% less)

Thanks for looking and for all the help

Can't wait to see the pics! Congrats!!!!

Will have to let others chime in on your questions. I will say this though, at 105 grains per shot definitely buy the 8 lb can!!!! ;)

Congrats, sounds like you are having fun.

Make sure you grease the hinge area and forearm iron with a thin coating of good synthetic grease. I also grease the side of the receiver to reduce wear. This also lets the gun open easier.

The forearm lug grease it also. Use a q tip to get the grease under the lip again a thin coating. If you forget this step, you may have a little difficulty taking your gun apart, this area like to stick

For the ejectors use a good synthetic oil and apply liberally, wipe off the excess.

I use a good non-grit wax to polish the stock and forearm. Use a tooth brush to clean the checkering.

Well, you sure as hell went into the bigger is better category all the way.
Good luck with your new gun.

Congrats on your new double.

I don't know much about the Blaser's,
but can tell you that you will love the .500 N.E, when you get comfortable shooting it.

On buffalo sized animals up to, and slightly beyond, the 100yds +/-,
a properly loaded and well placed .500 N.E is decisively effective (y)(y).

Paul.

Mayt I be the first to say "without pics, it didn't happen"!

:D

Happy for you...hope you have nothing but a blast with your new rig.

Tim

Another S2 owner! I love mine in 500/450 (and in its .375 and 30-06 guises as well). With the right load it will be supremely accurate.

Congrats on your new toy.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Is the Blaser S2 Luxus priced at $8000? What is the going price for that gun?

I purchased through Eurooptic. Be sure if you are going to pay by check/money order call them and talk to them and ask for best cash price. They came down substantially on the Blaser in 500. Not as much for the 470 or the Merkel. That plus they had them in stock.

Travelling through Friday night then will try to post pics!

Congrats...there is nothing like owning your first double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg