First Double Rifle!

So I haven’t had a chance to shoot the rifle in a proper setting yet but my dad and I shot it a little while we were out checking cattle today and this is what I got with open sights at roughly 30 yards free handed.
D92ED1B5-13A0-468B-A9D5-ED717787867C.jpeg

A good sign I think
 
If the only shots you took are circled...The first time I shot my double from a bench, with open sites, I didn't do that well. I am still kind of a newbie to doubles though.
 
If the only shots you took are circled...The first time I shot my double from a bench, with open sites, I didn't do that well. I am still kind of a newbie to doubles though.
Those were my first two pairs of shots. I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a joy to shoot. I shot one more pair that was no good at all. I rushed it, or maybe it was fatigue, or the sun was in my eyes, or someone spoke during my backswing or… :E Big Grin::A Outta:
 
Those were my first two pairs of shots. I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a joy to shoot. I shot one more pair that was no good at all. I rushed it, or maybe it was fatigue, or the sun was in my eyes, or someone spoke during my backswing or… :E Big Grin:
Also any tips from more experienced members are welcome! Help us new guys!
 
So I haven’t had a chance to shoot the rifle in a proper setting yet but my dad and I shot it a little while we were out checking cattle today and this is what I got with open sights at roughly 30 yards free handed.

A good sign I think
A good sign indeed! I would suggest a bit of refinement however. Next time, try to determine which hole emanated from which barrel, in sequence of firing. You can do this by having an observer annotate this in a notebook (R1, L1, R2, L2, etc.). Or use my preferred method of placing a video camera (GoPro, ActionCam, or similar device) somewhere off to the side. That allows you to playback the video in order to differentiate the shots.
What you have now is a good feel for the grouping at 30 yards. Doing what I suggest above will allow you to determine the accuracy of your load from each individual barrel, and also to determine how well a specific load regulates between the two barrels. As it stands now, you don't know whether the bullets are crossing over or whether they are impacting with the left barrel on the left, and the right barrel on the right.
I would note that most doubles are regulated at a specific distance, usually 50 yards or 50 meters. But it is also useful to know where they will impact at other distances at which you personally expect to hunt. In any case, good luck with your new-to-you double rifle!
 
A good sign indeed! I would suggest a bit of refinement however. Next time, try to determine which hole emanated from which barrel, in sequence of firing. You can do this by having an observer annotate this in a notebook (R1, L1, R2, L2, etc.). Or use my preferred method of placing a video camera (GoPro, ActionCam, or similar device) somewhere off to the side. That allows you to playback the video in order to differentiate the shots.
What you have now is a good feel for the grouping at 30 yards. Doing what I suggest above will allow you to determine the accuracy of your load from each individual barrel, and also to determine how well a specific load regulates between the two barrels. As it stands now, you don't know whether the bullets are crossing over or whether they are impacting with the left barrel on the left, and the right barrel on the right.
I would note that most doubles are regulated at a specific distance, usually 50 yards or 50 meters. But it is also useful to know where they will impact at other distances at which you personally expect to hunt. In any case, good luck with your new-to-you double rifle!
Thank you sir! I appreciate the advice. I am hopefully going to be able to shoot in a more formal setting this weekend. Life unfortunately has not cooperated thus far
 
3F2FA6D9-3282-4F7B-9ECF-B9D69EB8AD55.jpeg

This is how it shot the last time I went to the range. 100 yds off sticks with scope on 5x (max). Haven’t adjusted scope since I got it. Hopefully my groups will get better with practice and hand loading haha. I think it’s gonna work though.

Dropped it off at JJ Perodeau’s earlier to be re-blacked. He’s also going to put some rounds through it and give a final opinion on regulation.
 
Looks like it has a lot of potential.

Safe shooting
Thank you sir. We discussed the slight crossing and the RWS factory ammo may be a little too hot for it. Hoping to start reloading for it before too long and address it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,302
Messages
1,572,159
Members
169,499
Latest member
VenettaFit
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top