First double rifle

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hi everyone, after saving my pennies I'm looking to get into my first double rifle which has been a long time dream of mine. I know this very question has been asked hundreds of times already, but I'm kind of stuck on which way to go. I have decided on 470 n.e. and ejectors are really what I want. I have roughly $10,500 usd to spend. I was looking at the great sale eurooptic has on their merkel 140-2's in 470 nitro express. Im not the biggest fan of the automatic safety but I suppose I could overcome that with practice. I've also come across a used searcy for around $9,500 usd in the same caliber, here is the link: https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/b-...e/b-searcy-co-express-sxs-double-rifle-470-ne . Any advice or suggestions of which way to go would be greatly appreciated. This will not be my one and only double, just one to get me started until I decide to have one made later on down the road after I get some safari's under my belt hahah. I ask a lot of questions in various places on this forum and am very appreciative of everyone taking the time to help me out!

Thanks,
Voodooracer

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 4.22.52 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapuis arms
Excellent gun maker and the precision is like a bolt action
Price about 7000 euro

I just found a couple very nicely priced chapuis rifles, I will have to definitely consider them as well! Thanks for the suggestion!

Searcy makes a very nice rifle, but remember it was made for someone else, but it could fit you. Get the ser# and call Butch and ask about the gun.
As you look at various rifles you should have an idea of what squares you need to fill.
Caliber
Length of barrels
Weight
Stock dimensions.
length of pull,cast drop are all things to consider when reaching into your pocket for a DR
A DR that doesn't fit is no fun to shoot...
A light for caliber DR is no fun to shoot...
A gun with a long stock is easily made shorter but a gun with a short stock including pad may not look the way you want when you have to add length.
Look and handle as many guns as you can before you settle on your final choice...

Very true, I have been working on figuring out all the particulars for gun fit for myself. I tend to prefer a 14.5 l.o.p. I am definitely particular about gun weight, I've never fired a 470 ne before but based on its power level I'd prefer a 10 or 11 pound rifle. I will definitely try to handle more before I buy.

Good luck racer! I like the Merkel rifles and have shouldered the one you are looking at!

Thanks CAustin! I plan on handling one of those merkel's this week and see how it fits.

I was looking at the great sale eurooptic has on their merkel 140-2's in 470 nitro express. Im not the biggest fan of the automatic safety but I suppose I could overcome that with practice.
Thanks,
Voodooracer

View attachment 187832

It is an easy job to shut down the "automatic feature" of this safety.

HWL

Sir , my 2 cents worth : Within your budget , you will do better with a Chapuis than with a Merkel. The most problems I have had with double rifles in camp over 25 years of Dangerous game hunting has been Merkels. This is just my personal experience offcourse.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences. I hope to make my final decision fairly soon after handling a few examples.

I handled a merkel 470 after work today and it didn't quite fit me as well as I like. It was a little too short for me, I prefer closer to 15" LOP. I think I've narrowed my selection down to either a chapuis 470, and I also came across a great looking searcy in 500 nitro, both well within my price range. Decisions decisions hahah.

As you look remember any of the cambers from 450 to 475 are pretty much all the same that is a 480 to 500 gr bullet at 2150 fps it is not until you get to the 500 is there a noticeable difference
I will say that the 450 NE if
Mad

Chapuis or a second hand English double if you can find one in that price range.

Hope to see an update soon with a pic if a new rifle!

I pretty much have my choice narrowed down to a Chapuis 470 and Searcy 500 nitro with a slight edge to the Chapuis. I like the step up in power of the 500 but also see the value and practical aspects of the 470. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive so that doesn't give one an edge over the other. I've also seen some questionable info regarding Searcy's service on this forum so that's a consideration too. There will be plenty of pics to follow when I make my choice hahah. Either way I may have to have the rifle re-regulated, I prefer to use Barnes factory loads so I'm hoping whatever I pick shoots decent enough.

I've decided on the chapuis, from my understanding it was made in 2005 and has not been used hard. It has been on a safari which is interesting. I believe it was regulated with Norma ammo based on the date of mfg. I'm hoping Barnes solids will regulate relatively close. If not I will probably send it to Champlin arms to re-regulate it to that load. I'll be sending my payment out tomorrow. So hopefully I will have it in hand relatively soon! I will post pictures when I have it in hand.

Congratulations Voodoo,, I hope you enjoy it and get to use it as intended. Look forward to seeing some photos..
God Hunting.

I just picked up my first double today from my ffl, this has been a long time dream of mine second only to my dream of going on safari. I'm sure this won't be my last double either. It has some wear but is still in great overall shape. I apologize for the photos, I don't have the best lighting. I will snap some more when I take it out to shoot it. It had the regulation targets with it and it was regulated for federal 500 gr loads. I grabbed a box of hornady dgs ammo and have ordered a box of Barnes 500 gr solids. I'm hoping they will group decently. If not I will probably have it sent to champlin arms to have them re regulate it for the Barnes loading. I will probably send it to them either way to install a warthog ivory front sight bead. The current brass one picks up great but in bright sunlight I could see it being a little tricky to pick up. I picked up some snap caps and the triggers break very cleanly, they are a little heavy but am glad they are. The ejectors work perfectly, throwing the snap caps 10 or 15 feet. Unfortunately I have to leave for a work related trip this weekend so I won't be able to shoot it until next weekend. I'm just happy to finally have it in hand!
IMG_1425.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.