First Double Rifle On It's Way

That is a nice Merkel!, personal fan of the coined receiver's.
We went Krieghoff in March & I still couldn't tell you a thing about it. Fits Great. ... let us know how it goes!
K closeup.jpg

Here is the Docter sitting on Leica for comparison.
View attachment 400999
Every time I see this I want to build one, stunning. If you know off hand, I was told Krieghoff uses Mono-Block Barrels? Had it out the other day, I can't see any indication?!?

Every time I see this I want to build one, stunning. If you know off hand, I was told Krieghoff uses Mono-Block Barrels? Had it out the other day, I can't see any indication?!?

I’m fairly sure they are monobloc. If you look at the bloc in between the barrels, underneath the extractor/ejector claws, there is no joint visible there. If these were chopper lump (demi-bloc) they would have to be jointed somewhere and there should be a fine line of the joint visible there.

Also Kreighoff was one of the first companies to go for monoblock construction on their O/U shotties. Given that if the maker has monobloc machining capability it is much cheaper to make it versus demi bloc I’m fairly sure they would stick with the monobloc construction. Which one is better? Perhaps a good conversation to have by the campfire (after an uneventful, dissapointing hunting day).

First 2 shots off a set of shooting sticks at 35m came in at 1.4 inches. I then put a steel target out to 75m and did a bit of offhand shooting and put 7 rounds into a group around 6 inches. For not having used iron sights for about 15 years I'm really happy with the results so far. I think I will still work on getting the velocity up though and see if it makes a difference with the accuracy as this load I'm using is only averaging 2058fps and the rifle was regulated with Norma ammo which has an advertised velocity of 2100fps. Not sure how much of a difference that 42fps would make to the POI? Maybe some of you double rifle experts could share your opinion.

IMG_3153.jpg
IMG_3175.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great aquisition AH,
should be a handy tool on those big bodied flood-plain bulls.
Nothing at all wrong with the Merkels, maybe not as flash as some other brands but flash rarely put bull on the ground.

Happy hunting with those twin tubes.

It is a really good looker and shoots well, congratulations AH! We are all wont to over analyze these things, but the capping on the cake with a double is to get out and enjoy hunting with it. Get in close, butt crawl, leopard crawl, heart thumping stuff - his and yours.

Great aquisition AH,
should be a handy tool on those big bodied flood-plain bulls.
Nothing at all wrong with the Merkels, maybe not as flash as some other brands but flash rarely put bull on the ground.

Happy hunting with those twin tubes.
West Arnhem Land this year mate, will try and get up close and personal with a few bulls in the thicker stuff.

I think the 140's look pretty stunning, imo, "Symmetrical"!. Particularities in "appearance" are certainly too the individual, there's almost no one in the same in doubles?!?

Awesome!

I’m fairly sure they are monobloc. If you look at the bloc in between the barrels, underneath the extractor/ejector claws, there is no joint visible there. If these were chopper lump (demi-bloc) they would have to be jointed somewhere and there should be a fine line of the joint visible there.

Also Kreighoff was one of the first companies to go for monoblock construction on their O/U shotties. Given that if the maker has monobloc machining capability it is much cheaper to make it versus demi bloc I’m fairly sure they would stick with the monobloc construction. Which one is better? Perhaps a good conversation to have by the campfire (after an uneventful, dissapointing hunting day).
Thank You foremost! .. Inexperienced, I believe I was thinking too the contrary with the impression that Monobloc barrels would show a fine line, or a light scroll to cover the seam, about the depth of the cartridge from the breach.

My apologies for being off topic, I still appreciate the lesson. It just brought back the conversation with Heym as I may have completely misunderstood, their explanation of shoe lumps. I saw an 88B with that seam & then became confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg