First Dangerous game capable rifle

serdog

AH member
Reaction score
I am currently looking to get a bigger gun for wild wood bison and Grizzly Bear(These are personal hunt without a PH/guide to backup) and perhaps for use on Moose and of course to one day take on a Cape Buffalo hunt . I currently have a nice early model Weatherby Vanguard in 30/06 changes to a Box Magazine.

My thoughts are that it comes down to really 3/4 options with 2 Balletically similar cartridges if I go for a double over a bolt gun:

1) 9.3x62/74 Lowest recoil great proven moose/bear killer but not legal everywhere for DG for the 62 lots for fine Swedish made rifle for sale at reasonable prices
2) .375 H&H higher recoil legal everywhere guns seem harder to come by ammo is everywhere
3) .375 Ruger Same as above rifles seem easier to come by but not sure about ammo. The Ruger doesn't have the heritage of the others and personally my .30-06 is the newest cartridge I own so it on the list if its a lot better
4) .404/450-400 Jeffery Highest Recoil (still shootable in a heavy rifle) best for DG but fewer option for ammo harder to fine guns

I am personally thinking more of going for a cheap used Husqvaran M98 or 1640 in 9.3x62 and put money into practice and gun upgrades as I get confident with the rifle but am very open to advice

I am currently looking to get a bigger gun for wild wood bison and Grizzly Bear(These are personal hunt without a PH/guide to backup) and perhaps for use on Moose and of course to one day take on a Cape Buffalo hunt . I currently have a nice early model Weatherby Vanguard in 30/06 changes to a Box Magazine.

My thoughts are that it comes down to really 3/4 options with 2 Balletically similar cartridges if I go for a double over a bolt gun:

1) 9.3x62/74 Lowest recoil great proven moose/bear killer but not legal everywhere for DG for the 62 lots for fine Swedish made rifle for sale at reasonable prices
2) .375 H&H higher recoil legal everywhere guns seem harder to come by ammo is everywhere
3) .375 Ruger Same as above rifles seem easier to come by but not sure about ammo. The Ruger doesn't have the heritage of the others and personally my .30-06 is the newest cartridge I own so it on the list if its a lot better
4) .404/450-400 Jeffery Highest Recoil (still shootable in a heavy rifle) best for DG but fewer option for ammo harder to fine guns

I am personally thinking more of going for a cheap used Husqvaran M98 or 1640 in 9.3x62 and put money into practice and gun upgrades as I get confident with the rifle but am very open to advice
Congratulations on your search! Having both the 9.3 x 74 and the 375H&H I believe you can’t go wrong with either one. I have found there is more of a knowledge base and a comfort level with the 375H & H though. In addition, the Larger guns create a diminished effective range. One other factor for me was that once I got one I wanted 20 more. Now that I have almost the full spectrum from small caliber on up to the large calibers it causes me some indecision on which one to use.

I personally like the .375 Ruger, ammo availability here in the states is pretty good and the short action makes for a little cheaper rifle. Mine is a Ruger Alaskan. I’m assuming your in Canada or Alaska because no guide to hunt grizzly, and the Houge stock and stainless barrel would be ideal for that environment. My opinion only of course.

I’m a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum man, through & through. Ideal for everything, except for body shots on bull elephant.

Ballistically speaking, the .375 Ruger can do whatever the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum can do.

In Africa, the ammunition for the Holland & Holland Magnum will be relatively easier to source than that of the Ruger.
IMG_1377.jpeg
IMG_1787.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg
IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1355.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_1791.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1537.jpeg
IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1375.jpeg
IMG_1351.jpeg

Why not .338 WM? It would take care of your immediate needs and then you can get a true big bore for cape buffalo.

im 99% certain the answer youre going to get from most members here is go with a 375 H&H..

It meets the requirements for all DG all over the world.. and will easily handle the game you have identified in your OP..

Ammo for the 375 H&H is easy to come by in the US, Africa, and most of Europe..

Not a bad idea! How would a 250gr .338 do on a 2000 pound woods bison?
Perfectly adequate combination for broadside shots, as long a strongly constructed bonded core or monometal bullet is used. I really like the 250Gr Nosler Accubond out of a .338 Winchester Magnum for American bison.

Not a bad idea! How would a 250gr .338 do on a 2000 pound woods bison?

Ive never hunted a woods bison.. but I'd be willing to bet it would be up to the task..

a buddy/guide named Omar that I know in Argentina uses his 338 WM loaded with 250gr projectiles to hunt Argentinian water buffalo routinely.. males weigh substantially more than 2K pounds (I think average is about 2200? and they can get up to 2600?)..

hes taken a significant number of them over the years and guided several hunts for them as well (lending his rifle out as a camp/lease gun)..

to my knowledge hes never had a problem..

Ive never hunted a woods bison.. but I'd be willing to bet it would be up to the task..

a buddy/guide named Omar that I know in Argentina uses his 338 WM loaded with 250gr projectiles to hunt Argentinian water buffalo routinely.. males weigh substantially more than 2K pounds (I think average is about 2200? and they can get up to 2600?)..

hes taken a significant number of them over the years and guided several hunts for them as well (lending his rifle out as a camp/lease gun)..

to my knowledge hes never had a problem..
The ones I culled as a government officer in South Bengal averaged at 2165 LBs for an adult male.
IMG_2519.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2527.jpeg
IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2534.jpeg

Let's make this easy. Buy a Model 70 in 375H&H and be happy. Hunt anywhere in the world for the biggest, baddest game and do your thing.
Concur, recent purchase of model 70 h&h. Dang love that thing. Will get first blood as OK gun season starts very soon. Unless you already have glass, rings etc. check with Mark at R&M firearms. He is a sponsor here and not only knows what you would need but will source and deliver fast at the absolute best price. Many here will verify his service and prices. Good luck, however you go. Just think if you purchase a 375 h&h it will get you to Africa faster as the itch for a Cape buffalo will build till you absolutely have to go since you already have the rifle. That’s my story and sticking to it.

375H&H for it being DG legal everywhere, relatively easy to shoot with practice and ammo is available everywhere.

Go big with your second DG legal cartridge and get a 458LOTT.

Attachments

• Ruger® Hawkeye® Alaskan Bolt-Action Rifle Models.pdf
    479 KB · Views: 40
Hey serdog,
Welcome to AH! As you can tell, you will find your hunting and rifle addiction support group to be very informative!

What part of the world are you in? Ammo supply could affect your cartridge choice, but 375 H&H as a first rifle is a great choice. Ammo is available for it all over the world.

I'll say it in three syllables. 3...7...5.
It will do everything you are asking of it. If in the future, you decide to hunt elephant, then maybe you can go up the scale a bit. But for what you are hunting, you need look no further than the grand old champion 375.

As far as I am concerned the .375 HH/Ruger is marginal for cape buffalo. They usually run at least 30yds. with a good hit. Sometimes a lot further. Is that what you want? Brian

.375H&H is a great all around caliber for your needs and will always have value wherever else you might want to use it or to whoever else you might pass it to. .404 is also a great selection but as others have suggested, get a .375 now and then you truly will never need another big game gun that can also be used for most PG unless you just want to bring a larger and/or a smaller caliber along with you on a future hunt.

.375 H&H. Probably also the safest investment should you want to sell it. And it won’t be such a big step up in recoil from your .30-06.

I’ve been carrying a 9.3x62 for the last two weeks of deer hunting. I became fond of the caliber this last summer in Namibia. (But that is just a little smaller and not legal for DG everywhere.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BillK

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.