Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hey all,

just rebooked everything with Qatar Airways, due to some flights having been cancelled. My father and I are leaving for the first time to hunt in Africa in June 2021, for 2 weeks!

I'm thrilled and so excited! Crossing my fingers that the third time is the charm (we had originally planned for NOV20, then FEB21, but covid).

We will be looking for plainsgame for the most part, perhaps some night hunting as well if there are any possibilities on hares and caracal.

On my fathers list: Sable, Nyala, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala.
On my list: Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog, Blesbok, Black Springbok & White Blesbok, and perhaps Bushbuck

But we will see how it goes! I'm jumping on my chair and needed to tell someone. This has been a dream of mine (not coming from a hunting family or knowing anyone that hunted) since I was 12 years old.

Cheers!

V.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on booking your first hunt! Enjoy it as you will be planning trip two before you leave.

Quite a list to keep you going and busy enjoy it.

Exciting! We look forward to the report!

Congratulations on booking your first hunt! Enjoy it as you will be planning trip two before you leave.
we had originally booked it in December 2019, for November 2020... So it has been a very long time waiting :p

Hope you have a great trip!
Put the bushbuck further up the list please.
Check out my posts and videos on safari planning and packing. Hope it helps a bit for your first safari.
Philip

Excellent! Have patience, smile a lot, take time to relax and soak it all in, visit with staff in their area of camp, enjoy the evening campfires, take more photos than you think are important. And +2 for certain don't ignore bushbuck if opportunity presented! Not the easiest critter to sort out and hunt because their habits and nature clash with the type of hunting that is required or common while on safari. Have a great trip!

Check out my posts and videos on safari planning and packing. Hope it helps a bit for your first safari.
Philip
Honestly my list is not really that important to me. I'll just give the outfitter my budget and some indication on the animals I want and have two rate's per species, one for trophy and one for culling. And then we will see. No pressure on my side, I already know I'll be going back ;)

Didn't know something could become addictive before I tried it ! :D

The only two I'd like to really take is the white blesbok and black springbok, as these were Christmas gifts from my fiancee and parents.

V.

Congratulations and best of luck!!

Night hunting is a lot of fun. You must go a couple of night if only to see the African night light up with its nocturnal creatures. Bush pigs and Bushbucks are my favorites but others include:

South Africa Permit Fees (guide may charge more but general guide or they have changed since I was in South Africa) Most of these need to be pre-planned and some need to be baited for but the ones with lower fees or no fees could be on your hit list. Have fun.
  • Honey Badger ($250 permit fee)
  • Civet Cat ($250 permit fee)
  • Serval ($500 permit fee)
  • Caracal ($250 permit fee)
  • Genet ($50 permit fee)
  • Bush pig (no permit fee, picture in my avatar)
  • Mongoose
  • African Wild Cat ($250 permit fee)
  • Jackal ($50 permit fee)
  • Springhare (no permit fee)
  • Some guides hunt Bushbuck at night (no permit fee)
  • Porcupine (no permit fee)
    Many of these require permits. Try catching springhare by hand and see how fast you can move.
  • Hyenas ($550 permit fees)

Add a Bush Pig to your list if you want to hunt at night and get the PH to bait for pigs. They are a blast to hunt. This will probably be a blind or tree stand hunt.

I agree with Phil. Bushbuck is the best plains game hunt for the money!

Philip
Yes check out Philip's post on packing. Just don't over pack. You will need very little. Two sets of non-camo hunting clothes is enough at most camps with daily laundry being provided. I can pack everything in a carry on. I carry no computers and only a cell phone. Go light especially if carrying a rifle.

Yes check out Philip's post on packing. Just don't over pack. You will need very little. Two sets of non-camo hunting clothes is enough at most camps with daily laundry being provided. I can pack everything in a carry on. I carry no computers and only a cell phone. Go light especially if carrying a rifle.
Indeed, I intend to go as light as possible. No rifle for this first time, but I will have a large checked luggage with me, which I will fill up with Covid rapid tests for the outfitter/PH. He asked for them (for use with his people when changing from one group of hunters to another) as they are difficult to get in SA apparently.

Indeed, I intend to go as light as possible. No rifle for this first time, but I will have a large checked luggage with me, which I will fill up with Covid rapid tests for the outfitter/PH. He asked for them (for use with his people when changing from one group of hunters to another) as they are difficult to get in SA apparently.
This is a good example of why a standard suitcase is a good idea. Although you may not need all the space you get 50lbs on the plane. Many guys will want to bring back souvenirs etc and the bigger bag allows you to do that easily. I remember bringing back biltong seasoning, braai baskets, and other neat cooking stuff from Namibia. I couldn’t have done it had I taken a small bag or carry on. Guys on their first or second safari especially will want some trinkets to take home. Those of us who are a bit more seasoned have enough trinkets at this point!
I am sad that you are not taking your own rifle. To each his own but most get bad advice online and think it’s too difficult. I’ll keep beating this drum as long as I’m on AH. Pay the travel agent the $200 fee and it will all be sorted out for you and you will have a great hunt with your own gun!
Regards,
Philip

This is a good example of why a standard suitcase is a good idea. Although you may not need all the space you get 50lbs on the plane. Many guys will want to bring back souvenirs etc and the bigger bag allows you to do that easily. I remember bringing back biltong seasoning, braai baskets, and other neat cooking stuff from Namibia. I couldn’t have done it had I taken a small bag or carry on. Guys on their first or second safari especially will want some trinkets to take home. Those of us who are a bit more seasoned have enough trinkets at this point!
I am sad that you are not taking your own rifle. To each his own but most get bad advice online and think it’s too difficult. I’ll keep beating this drum as long as I’m on AH. Pay the travel agent the $200 fee and it will all be sorted out for you and you will have a great hunt with your own gun!
Regards,
Philip

Hello Philip,

We are not using a travel agent, we just booked the tickets ourselves. Had there been no corona, i would perhaps have tried. But now for the first safari, in Covid times, I’d prefer to keep things simple.

Then again this is not going to be my last safari either ;)

V.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross