First Africa trip shipping estimates

Costs are through the roof right now. My latest shipment came waterborne due the the eye watering costs of airborne. It is way beyond what I have paid in the past.

@WAB

How big was the crate and what was the savings over air freight, including any port/container fees?

I’ll dig back in the email string in th AM and get you some numbers.

Look into combining the shipment w/ your friend's to spare expense...it will take awhile before everyone in the chain requires payment (months-sometimes 1 yr.)
I believe that this is illegal according to the USFWS, the only trophies that can be combined are family members under 18 with a parents trophies. Sure it is done but if caught falsifying documents can be dangerous and the trophies will be returned to the original country at the hunters expense.

Last September my buddy went to South Africa, he had the following shipped home: waterbuck, blue wildebeest, impala, gemsbuck. Shipping itself was 1800.00 for those 4 trophies. I think his dip and crate was 600 as well.

I believe that this is illegal according to the USFWS, the only trophies that can be combined are family members under 18 with a parents trophies. Sure it is done but if caught falsifying documents can be dangerous and the trophies will be returned to the original country at the hunters expense.
Yes, they often conduct extensive audits to determine who shot what! Don't get caught in Operation WSW (who shot what! complete with bullet hole analyses.) Envision 2 packages, situated side-by-side (or strapped together vertically) with separate labels, but sharing the shipping costs. It's a thing. ;) Why a person would ship 1 hide separately is beyond comprehension, excepting big DG. I'm fairly certain ripping money is illegal too?

I’ll dig back in the email string in th AM and get you some numbers.

My latest shipment was roughly 200 kg. It cost $2,500 USD waterborne. Air freight was quoted at just under $6,000 USD.

Hi Guy, Please clarify, is the crate charge 10% or 20% of the taxidermy work? I see a post that says 10% from May but my recent quote indicates 20%. I appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Good morning Sir. It is 20% of your processed work. Please let me know if I can help you further. Regards Guy.

The shipping for my 2021 safari was $1800 alone. Buffalo european, waterbuck european, impala european, warthog skull and bush pig skull. Along with some finished leather items from my buffalo and waterbuck tanned hides, including two pairs of vellies, two belts, a small duffle, and some leather gaiters.

My crate which is staged to ship was a little over 200kg. Air freight was quoted at about $6,200 and ocean freight was $2,025. Needless to say it will be shipped via ocean to Houston TX, no idea what the cost from Houston to East TN will be. Me and a buddy both have our crates shipping to Houston, it may be cheaper for us to rent a U haul and pick them up ourselves.

I received a preliminary quote for my 2021 hunt.
actual weight 96 kg, volumetric weight 301 kg.
Dimensions 152 x 92 x 129 cm (59”x36”x50”)
Air freight to Atlanta from Johannesburg, crating, packing and permits =$3987
Crate contains roan pedestal mount, full body klipsringer, bushbuck, gemsbok, springbok and blesbok wall pedestal mounts. Of course this is only a preliminary quote and I fully expect the price to go up as soon as permits are acquired.

I just came back from SA after completing plains game hunting. Need to know if some one has previous experience to import trophies in Ontario Canada. appreciate

Windhoek Namibia to jfk —I have received the coats/bill for my November ‘21 hunt. This was dip and pack—Leopard for full mount, skull of leopard, mountain zebra full cape, spring bok skull and cape, baboon skull, and damara dik dik skull and full skin—air costs were $400, and all in country bills were $514 for a total of $914 USD. Dip and pack was 1100$. Yellowshark is handling shipping and kings Taxidermy handled dip and pack. If memory is correct it’s with Ethiopian Air. Still waiting on amendment to cites permit to finalize shipment.

After waiting a year!!!! My crate is at the freight brokers house in South Africa. The quote they gave me was $1356 for 97kg, which is four shoulder mounts, four euro mounts and three rugs/hides. Shipped to LAX. I’m using @TROPHY SHIPPERS to handle my US customs. Tom Kelly is handling everything for me. Great company to deal with. He told me going via ocean is much more expensive in the end with all the fees and charges. I can’t wait to open that crate up!!!! Like the best Christmas ever!!!

EABFBFC0-A488-4AE7-9965-F22029BD0119.jpeg
9859CAB0-C7A7-49C7-B833-8A442A4AD355.jpeg
2651EAD2-3F03-432E-AB09-2E53C6473FE9.jpeg
D76AA34F-1AD6-40B0-9E71-26B2EAA4D9A9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Who handled your trophies on the African side? Did they give you the size of your crate?

Crate size is down below. I hunted outside of Port Elizabeth and our ph recommend Africa wildlife taxidermy and they had about 50 mounts hanging in the huge dinning hall. The cost was about 5k for 10 animals which included pick up and delivery to the agent. Then the broker picked up the crate which is now in a custom warehouse.
The agent that works with the taxidermist is Karl human taxidermy

the broker for the export is Roblig-Grindrod pty Ltd out of east London South Africa

sorry. The dimensions are 107x87x87 cm@1

if you need anything else, just ask

F85D2C10-A047-4581-A0FC-EA03D304901C.png

Hello, I got invited out of the blue by a buddy to tag along on a week long hunting trip to SA. He won the trip in a auction and his wife said he’ll no to going. I was not expecting the trip and therefore was not saving for such a expedition, but we got our flights for a good price and I have been setting aside plenty of money every month. I plan on being somewhat frugal if possible with animals (blesbuck, Impala, gemsbok and warthog). Also plan on doing euro mounts or bleached skulls for all animals and maybe a few hides. Can anyone give me a ballpark for shipping/ exporting costs back to the states and the timeline of payments needed to be made. Thanks in advance
Likely $2000 for shipping plus $500 in customs clearance fees.
I just got my bill for a full crate of finished taxidermy and it will run $3500 for shipping and fees on African side.

I just received my final quote from my 2021 safari. prices have come down some!
96kg actual weight
301kg volumetric weight
152x92x129 cm dimensions.
Plus permits and crating came to $3642.73, down from almost $4000.00
airfreight from Johannesburg to Atlanta, with a little luck I will be looking at my mounts soon. SBS logistics is handling the African side and Coppersmiths handling state side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross