Firearms Insurance

Beck

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello,
I am a relatively new homeowner and I just realized that my homeowners insurance policy only covers $5k worth of Firearms - clearly not enough. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is running this insurance through your homeowners policy the way to go, or are there cheaper options out there?

Don't know how it works in usa, but back where I come from there was a maximum figure that they would pay out on individual items you didn't have to list everything..Anything above that had to be individually registered with them and the value...jewellery..watches..guns...etc...then the premium was adjusted to take them in to be covered...

This is who I have used for the last two years (as well as several other AH'ers), and am happy with the experience so far. Good combination of coverage vs. premiums, albeit I thankfully have not had to go through the claims process yet.

Gallagher 77 Accord Park Drive, Suite B-1, Norwell, MA 02061
P: (800) 545-9326 | F: (508) 652-4392
Laura_Sewall@ajg.com | AJG.com

Hello,
I am a relatively new homeowner and I just realized that my homeowners insurance policy only covers $5k worth of Firearms - clearly not enough. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is running this insurance through your homeowners policy the way to go, or are there cheaper options out there?

PM me if you want some primary source experience in this area.

This is who I have used for the last two years (as well as several other AH'ers), and am happy with the experience so far. Good combination of coverage vs. premiums, albeit I thankfully have not had to go through the claims process yet.

This

This is the go to for firearms collections

I’m with Cole as well.

I just decided to use them and submitted my own application. Much cheaper than my homeowners additional policy.

HH

I use Eastern. I believe their name has changed since I last renewed.

Same here!
Was Eastern now Gallagher.
Laura still handling mine also

Hello,
@Beck - I’ve had this question myself for many years. What I would find helpful is to hear from someone that actually “Filed a Claim”? How was the process? Were you reimbursed in a timely manner AND at the prices you expected? What negative surprises (if any) did you encounter?
Regardless of Insurance or Not - I believe having a Good Safe should be the main part of protecting your firearms. The “tin can” steel gym locker-types that can be opened with a screw driver and even fancy “velvet lined” nicely pained safes (with only 1/16” to 1/8” of steel) offer minimal protection…but better then nothing.
Good Safes have two common characteristics - “Steel” & “weight”. the 3rd “characteristic“ is Cost — they are expensive and $5000 - $10,000 seems to be the range. Certainly any safe can be broken into but very few Good safes are: acetalyn torch, carbite bit saw, high speed drills are rarely carried by burglars. Occasionally you can find a good USED safe and save some money - worth getting a professional safe mover to deliver and install it —- any safe over 700 to 3000 lbs can’t be moved by a few buddies in a pick up …and certainly not up & down a flight of stairs. That’s my opinion, you don’t want $50,000-$100,000+ of guns in a $2000 safe…better to sell one of those guns and buy a Good Safe to protect the others. Lastly, hide your safe - don’t display it in your living room regardless of how beautiful it is….every neighbor, repair person, or kids friends that enter your home will see it, remember it, tell there friends about it etc…. Could eventually become “known” to the wrong person.

@Beck - I’ve had this question myself for many years. What I would find helpful is to hear from someone that actually “Filed a Claim”? How was the process? Were you reimbursed in a timely manner AND at the prices you expected? What negative surprises (if any) did you encounter?
Regardless of Insurance or Not - I believe having a Good Safe should be the main part of protecting your firearms. The “tin can” steel gym locker-types that can be opened with a screw driver and even fancy “velvet lined” nicely pained safes (with only 1/16” to 1/8” of steel) offer minimal protection…but better then nothing.
Good Safes have two common characteristics - “Steel” & “weight”. the 3rd “characteristic“ is Cost — they are expensive and $5000 - $10,000 seems to be the range. Certainly any safe can be broken into but very few Good safes are: acetalyn torch, carbite bit saw, high speed drills are rarely carried by burglars. Occasionally you can find a good USED safe and save some money - worth getting a professional safe mover to deliver and install it —- any safe over 700 to 3000 lbs can’t be moved by a few buddies in a pick up …and certainly not up & down a flight of stairs. That’s my opinion, you don’t want $50,000-$100,000+ of guns in a $2000 safe…better to sell one of those guns and buy a Good Safe to protect the others. Lastly, hide your safe - don’t display it in your living room regardless of how beautiful it is….every neighbor, repair person, or kids friends that enter your home will see it, remember it, tell there friends about it etc…. Could eventually become “known” to the wrong person.
Thank you. I do have a decent safe, and I don't display it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottlinks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt