Firearms For Feline Menaces: The Best Guns For Indian Leopards

Thanks. M. Khan said as much also. So 12GA Brenneke slugs would've been an appropriate ammunition choice during, say, the 1920s/1930s in such a Drilling gun? I presume they'd have been either paper shells or solid-brass hulls at the time instead of our modern plastic.
That is correct , Webley . The very 1st plastic shot gun cartridge cases which I have seen my clients bring to India for shikar were Remington plastic cartridge cases brought by my American clients from 1962 onwards . My British clients ( being invariably more conservative in their choices ) kept opting for paper cartridge cases until 1970 , when IMI Eley began to manufacture all of their cartridge cases with plastic hulls .
Eley Grand Prix spherical ball cartridges were made with paper hulls until 1970.
The same applies for Eley Alphamax rifled slug cartridges .

Guns For Follow Ups
As dangerous as all leopards normally are , they are much, much worse when they are wounded . Spooring a wounded leopard is an extremely dangerous task , which no sane Shikari will ever deliberately wish to undertake . When a leopard is wounded by a Shikari’s bullet , it immediately makes a bee line for the thickest part of the shrub , where it will hide . It will then lie in wait for the Shikar party to come to pursue it. Being the vengeful animal that it is , the leopard will then single out each and every member of the Shikar party ( including the Shikari wounded it ) before pouncing ( always launching itself at extremely short range ) upon it’s quarry . It will mangle it’s victim for around 30 seconds ,before pouncing on their next victim and mangling them for around the same amount of time , before moving on to their next victim and so forth .
The only way that this feline buzz saw can be stopped from mangling every single member of the Shikar party , is by shooting it to death .
So what firearms make the best implements for following up wounded leopards ?
It must be remembered that a charging Indian leopard is probably fastest animal alive amongst Indian dangerous game . Their speed ( especially during a charge , which is BOUND to occur while spooring a wounded leopard ) essentially prevents the Shikari from making picked shots . It is here that the Shikari needs to employ a caliber , which ( through sheer power alone ) will be able to break the leopard’s charge , if not kill the fiend outright .
Major Poton Khan believes that no central fire rifle caliber smaller than 9.3 x 74 millimeter Rimmed ( employing a 286 grain bullet ) should be used for spooring a wounded leopard in to thick shrub . I am much inclined to take his advice . The gentleman has had to spoor over three dozen wounded leopards into the thick shrub of Nagpur forests ( which is known for having the thickest shrub in all the 30 states of India . ) during his ten year career career and that too, at night with only the aid of a flashlight.
I personally have had the good fortune to only ever need to spoor five leopards in my entire life . Unlike Major Khan , I had one extremely significant advantageous factor in my favor - Jolpaiguri Tea Estate ( where I have shot all but three Clouded Leopards, one Spotted Leopard and one Hunting Leopard ) does not have any dense shrub at all . None of the tea plants in Jolpaiguri Tea Estate was larger than three feet in height and the terrain was quite flat. This allowed me a great deal of visibility and I could in fact see the leopards from a fair amount of distance . This significantly reduced the prospects of most of these fiends getting the drop on me .
I personally consider the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum which I would use back in the mid 1970s to be the most perfect weapon for spooring wounded leopards .It was a double barrel side by side rifle , built by John Rigby & Co , which was regulated for 300 grain Winchester bullets .It was equipped with double triggers , 24 inch long barrels , automatic ejectors , a manual safety , a beaver tail style fore end , a wide V shaped back sight and an ivory bead fore sight. Never did a finer weapon ever exist . It was ( as far as spooring wounded leopards are concerned ) the most perfect weapon in the hands of such an imperfect Shikari as I . It was handy , came naturally to the shoulder and was instinctive to point , just like the 12 Bore William Wellington Greener Wild Fowl gun which I use now for all of my wing shooting .
Major Poton Khan has used his old side by side shotgun, employing his standard hand loaded spherical ball cartridges to successfully put down every single wounded leopard which he has had to spoor , and in the Major’s skilled hands ... this weapon dropped wounded , charging leopards faster than lightning .

My readers will observe that so far in my article , I have only highlighted the most appropriate calibers for the Shikar of leopards without ever specifying what platform of rifle or shotgun I recommend for the hunting of these fiends . This is because I am largely apathetic to the decades long debate of whether a Double Rifle or a Bolt Action Rifle is more suitable for hunting dangerous game . As far as hunting Indian leopards are concerned , the Shikari may use whichever platform he is comfortable with . This is , unless of course you are spooring a wounded leopard which is almost guaranteed to culminate in a charge .

Since , I have already established above that a wounded leopard charges the Shikar party at extremely close range and has unrivaled speed , let it be understood that a Bolt Action Rifle will not do the Shikari any good for the purposes of spooring wounded leopards , after the first shot has been fired . You will not have enough time to manipulate the bolt and chamber a second cartridge to put the fiend down .
This is where the Double Rifle undoubtedly reigns supreme . This is purely Double Rifle territory.
Major Poton Khan ( with 61 years of personal experience of hunting Indian leopards under his proverbial belt ) highly recommends a Double Rifle with double triggers, manual safety, wide V shaped back sight , ivory bead fore sight and 24 to 26 inch barrels ( depending upon the height and weight of the Shikari ) for the purposes of spooring wounded leopards .
Given that the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum which I would use back in those days , had these exact same features and it served me extremely well , I am much inclined to agree with him .

A small mention worthy note is that I have actually shot and successfully killed a wounded , charging Spotted Leopard with a Bolt Action Rifle once ( my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum ) , employing a 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose factory loaded bullet .It was the final man eating leopard which I had ever shot in my life under the orders of the Bangladesh Forest Department In 1983 .I was fortunate enough to bring it down with a single frontal brain shot when it had charged our Shikar party . However , being brutally honest ... I would much rather have preferred to have the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum from my days in the Jolpaiguri Tea Estate , in my hands for stopping the charge . One cannot always hope to get so miraculously fortunate , all of the time ... especially when enraged, aggressive , charging feline fiends are concerned .
EC9E6040-5A4F-4358-8974-391D32BA5A80.jpeg

Major Poton Khan’s beloved old shotgun .
ECF87C9B-EFD1-4DE0-BBAC-411CF49D63D1.png

The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum built by John Rigby & Co. used by the Author from 1973 to 1974 .
03C588AC-15DC-42AE-AE11-39A878921717.png

Charging man eating Spotted Leopard killed by the Author with a single frontal brain shot with a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum , employing a 175 grain Remington Core Lokt factory loaded bullet .

Conclusion
I would like to conclude this write up with a few final words . If I failed to specify it in my article previously , then I am doing so now : Like any other soft skinned game , leopards demand a top quality soft nose bullet which shall expand upon penetrating into the vital organs of the fiend .
My personal experience has led me to favor two makes above all others .
The first is the Winchester Silvertip ( which is tragically no longer being manufactured today ) .Fired from a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum , those 300 grain Winchester Silvertips helped me account for no less than 16 man eating leopards . Never did I have even the slightest excuse to complain about their performance.
The second is the Remington Core Lokt .Fired from my 7 millimeter Remington Magnum , those 175 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nose factory loaded cartridges helped me account for two man eaters ( one Hunting Leopard and One Spotted Leopard ) . Both of these fiends were killed with single shots.
To be fair , I have ( in recent years ) begun to hear rumors of Remington’s newest consignments of Core Lokt cartridges offering subpar performance. These rumors have originated from more than one independent source and I doubt that so many independent sources are being dishonest . Nevertheless , I have been exceedingly fortunate never to personally experience any problems with Remington’s Core Lokt soft nose ammunition.
After I began to refine my hand loading skills , I also developed a fondness for Barnes TSX soft nose bullets : a nice , modern , technologically superior bullet to the more traditional Remington Core Lokt soft nose bullet which I have been familiar with , for the bulk of my life . Unfortunately , I have never quite had the privilege to personally try these on a leopard ... though I use them fairly extensively nowadays for hunting Chital Deer and wild boars . Judging by the effects of the 175 grain 7 millimeter Remington Magnum caliber Barnes TSX soft nose bullets on Chital Deer and wild boars ... I would not hesitate to use them on a large man eating Hunting Leopard at all .
I should stress , however that ( based on my admittedly antiquated experience ) these ammunition choices are merely MY personal favorites and I do not claim , nor can I pretend that they are the most superior choices found on the market , today .
Today , I am certain that so many more modern and technologically superior soft nose bullets fortunately exist on the market ... That the modern Shikari is bound to be spoilt for choice .
I would like to end this article with a small warning to those reading . Many authors will recommend the use of a 12 Bore shotgun , loaded with letter shot ( such as AAA , SSG , SG or LG buckshot) in their writings for the purposes of hunting leopards ( particularly for spooring wounded leopards ) . I cannot advice too strongly enough against this , based on my personal field experiences . Even on a 23 kilogram Clouded Leopard , LG ( the largest size of commercially manufactured buckshot and invented by Eley ) will not always be able to defeat the muscles and bone mass on these diminutive, little rascals with 100 percent guaranteed certainty , in order to penetrate into their vital organs . Therefore , it need not be stated exactly how pathetic the performance of these cartridges would be , against a large Hunting Leopard .
Yes , some Shikaris have gotten exceedingly fortunate. The great Jim Corbett ( the hero and role model of every Indian boy who has ever wanted to grow up and become a Shikari ) managed to put down the infamous man eating Panar Leopard in 1910 by employing a 12 Bore double barrel side by side shotgun , loaded with Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG cartridges ( which held eight 0.36 caliber spherical leaden pellets in each cartridge ) . He shot it in the chest and successfully killed it with an LG cartridge . However, it must be borne in mind that the Panar Leopard was already greatly weakened by a wounded inflicted by Mr. Corbett’s gun shots on the previous night . I personally also do know one Bangladeshi Shikari who singlehandedly put down a man eating 94 kilogram Hunting Leopard in 1979 with a single Eley Alphamax LG cartridge , aimed at the chest of the fiend . However , the laws of averages make it quite evident that one cannot always afford to tempt fate in this manner. The long , long track record of Shikaris who have been mangled or even outright killed after attempting to use letter shot cartridges on leopards ... are a little to numerous for my taste . They paint a little too grim a picture for me to ever endorse the use of letter shot cartridges on any members of the leopard family found in the Indian subcontinent ,

I hope that this article has proven to be ( at the very least ) ... a passably enjoyable read for my fellow members of AH forums .
THE END

Last edited:
Like all your articles so far, very interesting and enjoyable reading! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Dear Sir,
Thank you for excellent article! Your experience and insights are wealth of knowledge, to many of us!

Thank You! I was entertained and educated, always a valuable combination.

Another magnificent article , Panther Shooter ! Keep up the excellent standard of writing . I can assure you that stopping a charging 145 pound village panther with a single shot from a bolt rifle ( that too , chambered only in 7 mm Remington magnum calibre ) is no small feat ! The fact that you managed to do so with a frontal brain shot makes this accomplishment even more note worthy .
I should add a brace of points too , based on my own personal experiences .
For close quarters shooting of wounded Panthers , while following them up... we should always discard the telescopic sights on our rifles . Wide V back sights and bead fore sights are the most ideal for quick , instinctive , close quarters shooting ( such as , during a follow up ) , because do do not go out of setting when bumped ( like telescopic sights do ) .

When any member of the Indian panther family charges towards the shikar party , there is a great increase in tension found in the chest muscles of the brute . It is these tensed up chest muscles which provide the greatest degree of resistance to the shikaree's bullets . That is why rifles chambered in larger calibres are imperative for follow up work on wounded panthers . A .30-06 Springfield calibre bolt rifle is an exceptionally sound choice for hunting an unsuspecting village panther . However , when following up on the very same brute after it gets wounded and retreats in to the dense thickets .... a 9.3 × 74 mm Rimmed calibre double barreled rifle is a much , much safer choice .
Of course ... You already know all of this , through your vast degree of personal experience in the shikar field as well .

Another top notch article , Panther Shooter ! It is funny that you actually mention Karim . I am going to upload a video tomorrow on African Hunting Forums of Karim's 2002 interview with the editor of the Lal Golap Talk Show ( alongside providing an English translation for everyone to understand ) .
Perhaps , the other forum members shall enjoy watching a video of us , actually hunting panthers back in the good , old days of pre 72 India .
Major
Please do ! I really miss Karim . He is one of the very few Shikaris whom I know that survived a mangling from a Royal Bengal Tiger.

For what it is worth, our African bullet tests showed that a .458 Nosler Protected Point at 2200 fps MV to be very effective on a large male African leopard that was eating a farmers goat. The velocity may be a little overkill, but that load was intended for thin skinned game more than 20 yards distant.
Crs
That is a beautiful looking African leopard. A marvelous trophy . I would estimate it’s weight to be 65 to 70 kilograms . Did you use a .458 Winchester Magnum or a .458 Lott ?

I could not imagine a better tool for the job than a 375 H&H Flanged magnum in a scoped double(QD) of course for any of the leopard species or sub species with the correct soft nosed ammunition
IvW
It is pleasant to see that you and I think alike . I have taken 16 leopards( Both Hunting Leopards and Spotted Leopards ) with a .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. The one which I would use was a Double Rifle built by John Rigby & Co ( side by side platform ) . It was regulated for 300 grain Winchester Silvertip soft nose cartridges .
Mine was not the flanged .375 Holland & Holland Magnum , however . Mine was the ordinary belted rimless .375 Holland & Holland Magnum .

Really glad that you gentlemen from Bangladesh joined the forum. All of you are great writers. Love reading these articles. Especially while being in (semi) lockdown because of the corona virus. This is my medicine.
Die Jager
The pleasure is mine . Thank you for being so appreciative of my writing .

@Major Khan & @IvW I've been meaning to ask about a Drilling-type combination gun as a leopard-killing (or even lion- or tiger-killing) gun. Would a pair of 16-gauge slugs plus a single 9.3x74R shot be adequate for the purpose, or would 12-gauge be better? Are slugs the ideal choice, or slug-and-shot in the same shell, or 1 each slug/slug-and-shot/shot for maximum versatility? Not that I'm ever likely to use one but I'd like to add a vintage Drilling to my collection and I want to get the "right one", if that makes sense. Y'all can PM me if you'd like so's not to derail the thread, although if @Panther Shooter has his own input on the subject I'd be glad to have it too.
webley Greene 455
Major Khan and IvW are right . 16 Bore will work on a Clouded Leopard . But for Spotted Leopard and Hunting Leopard , the penetration will be marginal at best .

Panther Shooter asked "Did you use a .458 Winchester Magnum or a .458 Lott ? "

Neither, but a Winchester 1886 .45-90 (.458 2.4) as seen below:

As you can see, the 26 inch barrel provides for a long magazine full of ammo. The cartridge holds 96% the powder as a .458 Win Mag and with proper powder and bullets, it has taken leopard, cape buffalo, bison and elephant. Favorite buffalo load is the Kodiak heavy jacket FMJ loaded to 2150 fps. This load shoots through everything BUT frontal brain shots on ele (for that we used NF and Punch Solids). A flexible rifle as it also handles .45-70 ammo of any power and length.

Thank you for the compliment on the animal, but it stayed with the farmer as this and all other animals taken were on a PAC hunt in two countries north of RSA. The shooter was the most experienced member of our team using his 1886 .45-70 and my 1886 .45-90. All he was allowed to keep was a few pictures and a lot of great memories and stories.

Attachments

• 52608_600x400.jpg
    52608_600x400.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross