Fire forming: .375 H&H Magnum to .423 (404) Jeffery

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Very interesting, and I didn't think that this could be done safely. I can understand that the case wall in front of the belt could expand to the chamber diameter, but does the belted part (.532) also expand to the Jeff diameter (.545), or is the fireformed cartridge still a bit slim around the case head?

How far down the case do you anneal?

Would you care to make a guess on how many times you have reloaded such cases?

/cmk

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Very interesting, and I didn't think that this could be done safely. I can understand that the case wall in front of the belt could expand to the chamber diameter, but does the belted part (.532) also expand to the Jeff diameter (.545), or is the fireformed cartridge still a bit slim around the case head?

How far down the case do you anneal?

Would you care to make a guess on how many times you have reloaded such cases?

/cmk
CMK, I need to measure the belt diameter to give you a diameter in this regards. I anneal the neck part, and take care not to anneal to low down to the bottom of the case. I have been shooting these cases the past few years and still reload them.
I have purchased new Hornady brass I am using for my hunting these days. As pointed out, I needed brass that time and it was not available, so I had to make a plan. (y)(y)

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I have known about fire forming brass in this manner for several years but have never done it. From reading other posts on reforming 375 H&H to 404 Jeffery I was lead to believe that while it is serviceable the overall length is just a little short. But as Gert mentions when your in a "pinch" this procedure is a good work around.

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
I have known about fire forming brass in this manner for several years but have never done it. From reading other posts on reforming 375 H&H to 404 Jeffery I was lead to believe that while it is serviceable the overall length is just a little short. But as Gert mentions when your in a "pinch" this procedure is a good work around.

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
As I pointed out, these fire formed brass that was a belted magnum head-spaced on the belt..after fire forming it head spaced on the shoulder. I never has a failure when these fire formed brass was shot in my 404 Jeffery...Johan Greyling is still using this brass that we fire formed. Johan Greyling is my mentor who assist me in most of the gunsmith training I do after my full time job. Some interesting phenomenon about the Walter 404 Jeffery barrels is that the diameter measures .418 inches....(y)(y) I contacted Walter Barrel company, to there knowledge they were not aware of this. We have previously ordered a few Walter barrels in the 404 Jeffery caliber..thus we noticed the diameter to measure .418 inch. A good friend Hansie Minnaar, owner of Stewarts Core bonded bullets has the same experience in this regards, he had to make bullets for the 404 Jeffery owners in a .418 inch diameter...

Reactions: cmk

cmk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Sweden, Mauritius
Gert, this is most interesting. I have recently gotten myself a 404 Jef, but haven't had the ability to fire it yet. It has a Lothar Walther barrel. I believe the previous owner used regular Hornady DGX bullets without any problems. As these have a bit of a bad reputation, I thought I'd go with A-frames and Woodleighs, so I purchased a bunch of those. Perhaps I should have my barrel slugged before doing any major shooting?

At least I should probably do so before ordering a mould to start casting my own bullets...

Sorry for getting off-topic.

/cmk

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Gert, this is most interesting. I have recently gotten myself a 404 Jef, but haven't had the ability to fire it yet. It has a Lothar Walther barrel. I believe the previous owner used regular Hornady DGX bullets without any problems. As these have a bit of a bad reputation, I thought I'd go with A-frames and Woodleighs, so I purchased a bunch of those. Perhaps I should have my barrel slugged before doing any major shooting?

At least I should probably do so before ordering a mould to start casting my own bullets...

Sorry for getting off-topic.

/cmk
CMK, , slug your barrel, that will always be the first step when you get hold of a rifle you want to use. There are numerous brands of bullets to shoot in your 404 Jeffery. North-fork bullets , core bonded being the premium range.. I attended a buffalo hunting course conducted by Dr. Kevin Robertson in the Kruger National park ,using my 404 Jeffery open sights during the shooting trails..with great success..Dr. Kevin believe in the North Fork cup/core bullet in a 450 gn for the 404 Jeffery rifle as the best combination to hunt buffalo and..they use Dzombo solid bullets as their choice for elephant hunting/culling. I purchased 450 gn Steward core bonded bullets from my friend Hansie Minnaar to use in this upcoming hunting season , I need to hunt Blue wildebeest bulls ...

Doc25

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Canada
Hi Gert, when you refer to these as practice rounds are you shooting cast or jacketed bullets for practice?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Impala bullets are the cheapest to use as practice rounds...I moved away from using cast bullets...it seems to be a hassle when reloading..Impala bullets are excellent to hunt with as well..I will be hunting impala bullets this upcoming hunting season..the larger bore seems to favor the use of Impala bullets...(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdn_shooter

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.