Finally worked up some more Whelen loads

my 35 whelen deer load is 58 grs varget with the 225gr sierra sbt, it does 2600 fps. in a remington cdl 700 and a ruger #1, three less than a inch at 100 yards from the bench.
@leslie hetrick
That would work extremely well on deer. The speer load is very potent with over 4,000 fpe of muzzle energy. It's light in recoil compared to the 310s but it still gets your attention. Probably a bit to potent for smaller deer but a hoot to shoot.
Bob

They have used drop tubes for over 100 yrs with black powder.
Bob your loads are in mid .375 H&H area, they should work on scrub bulls, most anything else too.
@F. Vaccaro
My aim was just to see what the wheken could do and do SAFELY. The results were better than I hoped for. For so long the Whelen was regarded as a fine bush cartridge. This shows it is capable of much more. Even the 275s sighted 3 inches high at 100 yards only drops 24 inches at 400. Roughly the same trajectory as the 308 win with a hell of a lot more wallop at that range.
Bob

I use a 3” high at 100 on my .375, trajectory is almost identical to the 06 180gr.
@F. Vaccaro
You have to have a little inward smile when people say cartridges like the .375H&H, the Whelen and a couple of other old cartridges are only good for short range. In reality they are much much more.
Bob

@F. Vaccaro
You have to have a little inward smile when people say cartridges like the .375H&H, the Whelen and a couple of other old cartridges are only good for short range. In reality they are much much more.
Bob
Yes it tickles me when people think such ctgs. are punkin rollers limited to 150yds

I bought a NIB Sako Aiii action last year at a gun show (should have bought the other three too). Been thinking of getting it built into a 35 Whelen. Maybe with a Mannlicher stock, but haven't decided yet. If I keep seeing more 35 Whelen posts on here, it might push me over the edge.

I bought a NIB Sako Aiii action last year at a gun show (should have bought the other three too). Been thinking of getting it built into a 35 Whelen. Maybe with a Mannlicher stock, but haven't decided yet. If I keep seeing more 35 Whelen posts on here, it might push me over the edge.
@Thedoveshooter
Go for it and build yourself a Whelen mate. It will be something you won't regret unless you make it to light.
With the loads I use recoil tends to be up there but manageable. A 35 cal projectile that gives over 4,000 fpe turns the Whelen into an entirely different beast and a very capable 3 to 400 yard rifle.
A 225gn bullet at 2,800 to2,900fps flies flat and hits hard a long ways out. A 310gn at 2,300 to 2400fps puts a lot of hurt on big things up close ( out to 200 yards).
Bothe these loads give over 4,000fpe. If you want to have cheaper fun you can load cast bullets with a gas check to 2,000 fps or for even more cheap fun load cheap 158gn pistol bullets to 1,600fps for small game and plinking.
The whelen is one very versatile cartridge.
Mine performed well in Namibia and its going on a scrub bull hunt next year.
Bob

Amendment load 1 was the 225gn Woodleigh Round nose with 66gn CFE223.

This is the result with the 225gn Sierra game king. Horribly close to 2,900 but no ceegar
View attachment 472129

Barrel lenght of the test rifle is 25 inches.
Once again these loads were safe in MY RIFLE ONLY .WORK UP FROM LOWEST LOAD DO NOT START AT MAXIMUM.
Bob

Bob, that would hit like a freight train.

This is what I use to get over 60gn of 2209/H4350 into a Whelen case and 50gn of 2208/ Varget into a 308 case with 130gn projectiles. No compressed loads that way or very slight compression.
Bob
20220628_102357.jpg

This is what I use to get over 60gn of 2209/H4350 into a Whelen case and 50gn of 2208/ Varget into a 308 case with 130gn projectiles. No compressed loads that way or very slight compression.
BobView attachment 473569
Forgive my ignorance but what is the reason the drop tube is that long? I understand what it’s for just not understanding why it’s that long?

Forgive my ignorance but what is the reason the drop tube is that long? I understand what it’s for just not understanding why it’s that long?
@Close Range
That's the lenght it came and I was to lazy to cut it down.
It does the job so why tempt fate by making it shorter. It works at that lenght for me.
Bob

Bob's fairly tall so it probably suits him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you