Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
As every body knows I'm a whelen tragic and have been saying I will work up some more loads for my Whelen.
Well I finally got to the range yesterday and the results are as follows.
All cases used are Remington on their 6th reload.
Primers are Remington large rifle.
Load one was the 225gn Sierra 225gn game king using their max load of 70gn of CFE223. Results a little disappointing as they didn't break the 2,900 fps but potent still the same.
20220618_095719.jpg

Load 2 was the 275gn Woodleigh that was one big surprise. I only loaded 2 and forgot to take more projectiles to the range. So another trip to confirm results
20220618_081703.jpg
20220618_081705.jpg

The 310 gn Woodleigh RN posed a problem as the max load with H4350/2209 is 59 grains at a very low pressure. A lot of case tapping and vibrating with an electric toothbrush I got 62gn in with a compressed load.
I was taking to @Anthony George and he sent me a photo of his drop tube he uses for getting more powder in a given case. Thanks mate. I made a 600mm(2feet)drop tube and managed to get 63gn of H4350 into the case that only came to the base of the neck.this still allowed me to seat the 310s.
A WORD OF CAUTION IS NEEDED HERE. THESE LOADS PROVED SAFE IN MY RIFLE BUT MAY NOT IN OTHER SO USE CAUTION WHEN WORKING UP LOADS.
load 1 with the 62gn load
20220618_081205.jpg

The last load was 63gn of H4350
20220619_141741.jpg
20220618_081949.jpg

The target is my final 2 shots for the day with the 63gn of H4350. Now those loads really grab your attention when you touch them off,with recoil approaching 40lbs in a 9 pound rifle. Can't wait to try them with the brake on. They should be adequate for my scrub bull hunt.
Bob

That's a heck of a 5 shot group there, Bob!
I don't know how to Exalt you here, or I would.
@freefall
Sorry to disappointment you mate but it's only 2 shots. My last 2 for the day.
Bob

@freefall
Sorry to disappointment you mate but it's only 2 shots. My last 2 for the day.
Bob
Hello @Bob Nelson 35Whelen … cool write up w/ pics & brass on their 6th reload - impressive! Glad to hear afew supply shortages materialized … I’m confident, still a pain!

Yea, damn good feeling when the final shots on the range produce Outstanding results … nearly or touching is how you end an enjoyable shooting day! Bests …

Hello @Bob Nelson 35Whelen … cool write up w/ pics & yea, the last two shots on the range & nearly or touching is how you end an enjoyable shooting day! Bests …
@Jaegger
I reckon if I had a third it would have been between the two others.
A bit like a 35 cal varmit rifle for accuracy.

Amendment load 1 was the 225gn Woodleigh Round nose with 66gn CFE223.

This is the result with the 225gn Sierra game king. Horribly close to 2,900 but no ceegar
20220618_082022.jpg

Barrel lenght of the test rifle is 25 inches.
Once again these loads were safe in MY RIFLE ONLY .WORK UP FROM LOWEST LOAD DO NOT START AT MAXIMUM.
Bob

Oh $hit... another 35 fan. The forum will never be the same
@hunting Gold
Randy the revolution may have slowed but it is still happening slowly. Maybe these loads will create a bit more interest.
Remember you are one of the converted.
Bob

Good result for your you, bad news for the Scrub Bull's

Was planning to take my No. 1 Whelen out tomorrow but it will have to wait another week, have a new rifle to shoot in.
I have thought of the drop tube thing and have used one for black powder cartridge loading but never smokeless, always figured that was a bridge too far.
Perhaps a ball powder in the same range as H4350 would work better. Ever try Win760 or Hunter? Had good luck with both.

Was planning to take my No. 1 Whelen out tomorrow but it will have to wait another week, have a new rifle to shoot in.
I have thought of the drop tube thing and have used one for black powder cartridge loading but never smokeless, always figured that was a bridge too far.
Perhaps a ball powder in the same range as H4350 would work better. Ever try Win760 or Hunter? Had good luck with both.
@sestoppelman
They may well do BUT none of my data lists either powder. Besides that neither of those are available in Australia so I'm stuck with ADI powders but they are great powder just the same.
Bob

I have used an aluminum arrow shaft for a drop tube which works nicely and is easy to make. Amazing how the powder settles using a drop tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!