Finally worked up some more Whelen loads

I bought a NIB Sako Aiii action last year at a gun show (should have bought the other three too). Been thinking of getting it built into a 35 Whelen. Maybe with a Mannlicher stock, but haven't decided yet. If I keep seeing more 35 Whelen posts on here, it might push me over the edge.
When I first reloaded for my M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) I used fresh .35 Whelen brass, resized through RCBS dies then cut to length.

Now one can find / purchase new 9,5X57 brass with the appropriate headstamp.
It's the .375 270 grain RN projectiles that have become difficult to source.

MS Eley Drawing 9.5X57.jpg

MS Qual Cart 9,5x57 M-S Head.jpg

Readily available in recent years.

MS Hornady 3715.jpg

Once commonplace, now nearly extinct.

man, i like the 310gr woodleigh loads.

i went to the range with 290gr 358009. 42 grains of 4198. 2290 fps. recoil was savage. lol. 17" pistol 350rem mag.

35 rules imo.
Just saw this. I had been doing some work with the Lyman 358009 as well a few months back. Mine out of a 24" whelen. I had been trialing 5744 and 3031. My rifle showed a preference for 3031. I stopped at 46 grains and a little over 1"-5 shot group at 100yds at ~2225f/s. Yours is moving out of a 17" barrel now!

Cast some more last night that I need to get powder coated and checked and loaded up and move up to see if there's one last node of accuracy and a little more velocity to be had. I'd like to be mid-2300's. I put the project on hold earlier this year for some magnum revolver load development, but hunting season will be here before I know it and I really want to hunt that bullet this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross