Finally worked up some more Whelen loads

I bought a NIB Sako Aiii action last year at a gun show (should have bought the other three too). Been thinking of getting it built into a 35 Whelen. Maybe with a Mannlicher stock, but haven't decided yet. If I keep seeing more 35 Whelen posts on here, it might push me over the edge.
When I first reloaded for my M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer (9.5X57 - .375 Nitro Express Rimless) I used fresh .35 Whelen brass, resized through RCBS dies then cut to length.

Now one can find / purchase new 9,5X57 brass with the appropriate headstamp.
It's the .375 270 grain RN projectiles that have become difficult to source.

MS Eley Drawing 9.5X57.jpg

MS Qual Cart 9,5x57 M-S Head.jpg

Readily available in recent years.

MS Hornady 3715.jpg

Once commonplace, now nearly extinct.

man, i like the 310gr woodleigh loads.

i went to the range with 290gr 358009. 42 grains of 4198. 2290 fps. recoil was savage. lol. 17" pistol 350rem mag.

35 rules imo.
Just saw this. I had been doing some work with the Lyman 358009 as well a few months back. Mine out of a 24" whelen. I had been trialing 5744 and 3031. My rifle showed a preference for 3031. I stopped at 46 grains and a little over 1"-5 shot group at 100yds at ~2225f/s. Yours is moving out of a 17" barrel now!

Cast some more last night that I need to get powder coated and checked and loaded up and move up to see if there's one last node of accuracy and a little more velocity to be had. I'd like to be mid-2300's. I put the project on hold earlier this year for some magnum revolver load development, but hunting season will be here before I know it and I really want to hunt that bullet this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomaineBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.