Finally got to see my mounts

Cam Moon

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I finally got some pictures from the taxidermist, and I thought I'd post the pictures and get some feedback. I'll post pictures of the mounts, as well as pictures in the field. I'm looking for honest feedback!
Thanks.
IMG-20201210-WA0010.jpg
IMG_20181029_233810.jpg
IMG_20181102_011613.jpg
IMG_20181103_005416.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0015.jpg
IMG_20181030_091746~3.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0012.jpg
IMG_20181031_095210~2.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0017.jpg
IMG_20181101_093624~2.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0013.jpg
IMG_20181102_001925~2.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0011.jpg
IMG_20181103_015826~2.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0016.jpg
IMG_20181103_011109.jpg
IMG-20201210-WA0014.jpg
IMG_20181101_004537.jpg

Well, I must say Warthogs are cool. Looks like a successful safari and I hope the Warthog takes place of pride in the Trophy room.
My preference but they all look cool.

Are these all finished products or are they still pla to touch them up further? Overall they all look good. But can’t tell whether it’s just differences in exposure of these mount pictures but many of the animals with lighter coloration seem too white. Just my opinion since you asked.

Regards,

It’s not easy to judge taxidermy from most pictures. Who did the work?

It's not your Kudu cape.
Looks like all the horns are yours though.

Not in love with the painted Warthog. (Just my preference. I only have tusks)

You have some planning to do now. One step closer to replaying some memories in the trophy room.

@CBH Australia It's hard to tell if you are being facetious or not! lol
@yhc This is the finished product. I agree with you and thank you for your input.
@Roller It is hard to see some imperfections in photos for sure. I'm going to hold off on revealing the taxidermists name until sometime after I actually receive the mounts and can give honest 100% feedback on all aspects. I'm sure you understand.
@BRICKBURN You say that because of the markings on the face? Or?? And yes, the painted pig......

Cool trophies!!! I was just gonna message you to see if you got anything back yet lol. They look alright to me and the wart hog looks about like every other wart hog I've seen done so I could definitely live with it.
Getting the taxidermy done in South Africa is part of the adventure lol . Cool trophies!!!

@yhc This is the finished product. I agree with you and thank you for your input.
@Roller It is hard to see some imperfections in photos for sure. I'm going to hold off on revealing the taxidermists name until sometime after I actually receive the mounts and can give honest 100% feedback on all aspects. I'm sure you understand.
@BRICKBURN You say that because of the markings on the face? Or?? And yes, the painted pig......
Not at all, some don’t know how to take me here but in person I’m a actually pretty quiet. Writing here I sometimes make a snide remark or try my hand at humour. Our Aussie humour may be different too. I poke shit at Bob Whelen but it’s all in fun, we haven’t met but we speak on the phone. Friendly banter is common here.

My avatar should show my like of pigs. I’m not a trophy hunter, I can’t afford it or would not see the value in turning cash into a mount but that’s just priorities and preferences relevant to my position. Dangerous game or Bears may be an exception as they fascinate me. The other exception there is they are expensive hunts.

I did not realise the pig was painted, it probably looks cooler in the hunt photo. I shoot feral pigs when I can and I was fascinated by the Warthogs in South Africa.

I paid $20 secondhand for my little wooden carved Warthog in the named him Pumba.

My Pumba, my @Von Gruff knife, my Courteney boots I wore to Africa and my photos and memories are my trophies. Oh, and my rifles

I may try hunt overseas again but that could be a different country and different experience.

White marking exactly.

Well, I must say Warthogs are cool. Looks like a successful safari and I hope the Warthog takes place of pride in the Trophy room.
My preference but they all look cool.
Beautiful mounts! CongratulTions

I think your mounts look good. I’m not a fan of how this taxidermy does ears, but everyone has their preference. On the comment about not being your kudu cape, it’s difficult to tell from a photo not seeing it in person. One of my kudus had a very similar mark, but the finished mount it just blended in. The bare spot was still there, I had them paint it to be accurate before I picked it up. It was definitely my cape, but I had the same thought when I first saw it.

B4AABC14-C883-4473-9521-03E68D85026D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@CBH Australia I've read enough of your posts that I think I get your humor. ;) But I didn't know if you were ribbing me about my plastic pig or if you were just commenting because of your like for Warthogs in general! I didn't take it offensively or anything.........
I knew better than that! :D Cheers:
@BRICKBURN (y)
@Rare Breed Thank you. Would you be open to giving some honest feedback about what you like and what you don't?
@375Fox I agree with you on the ears, but I take responsibility for that for not mentioning it and asking him to do something different. That seems to be how most of them get done, and like you, I'm not a huge fan. Good point about the Kudu. As long as I don't have hair slippage or stitching issues like some I've seen on here I think I'll be ok with it.

I figure there are good and average craftsmen everywhere but do people find it better to have taxidermy done closer to home?
Are African taxidermy mounts generally of expected quality?
I expect the costs are lower with lower overheads or is it the same?

First off, congratulations!

I tend to agree with @BRICKBURN that the Kudu cape is different that yours. Was the spot on the forehead actually white hair or was it a bare spot? Also at first I thought he narrowed up the spread some on your Kudu but after staring at them both for way too long, I think it’s probably just the difference in the angle of the shots.
I think your Warthog would benefit from a little better airbrushing.
I also tend to agree with the “too white” idea but hey, maybe they just needed a good bath and that’s how they are. :)
Either way I think you’ll be happy with them and I’ll be interested to hear what you think after the crate arrives.
I hope I don’t sound negative. Just a couple of things since you asked. I know what it means to get honest opinions. I for one would be very happy to be standing in the driveway waiting for THAT crate to show up!

Have fun arranging and again, congratulations on very successful hunt!!!

I have learned never to judge taxidermy from photos. Especially cellphone photos. You need someone who understands photography to get it right. I am sure you will be happy in the end.

Warthogs always look wrong in photos... and they all get painted like that...unfortunately

@CBH Australia I would have liked to have my mounts done closer to home, but I simply couldn't afford it. I do expect the possibility of somewhat lower quality from RSA, but only to a degree.
@Randy F The oval mark in the center was a wear spot more than anything if I recall correctly. I hope he didn't narrow it! I'm hoping nothing was changed as far as horn position etc on any of them. The too white I can live with, but the Warthog looks fake to me. Thank you for the kind words.
@DWB I would agree that it's hard to judge from photos, and I'm hoping I'll be pleased overall. But the Warthog has me concerned.

Well, you could be like me, and not have your animals after waiting for 2 years. If you can, look at your trophies and remember the incredible experience you had. That is the point anyway. I think those mounts look fine, and I think you are right to wait until you get them to really judge them. Though, if you see something you really don't like in the pictures, say something now, and have them repair it. Glad you at least got to see your animals!!

Well, you could be like me, and not have your animals after waiting for 2 years. If you can, look at your trophies and remember the incredible experience you had. That is the point anyway. I think those mounts look fine, and I think you are right to wait until you get them to really judge them. Though, if you see something you really don't like in the pictures, say something now, and have them repair it. Glad you at least got to see your animals!!
Oh boy. Very sorry to hear you’ve been waiting so long. I hope you’re at least getting updates and some kind of communication.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg