Finally got one!

Congratulations on the nice rifle. I like your scope choice. I have one on my 7mm/08. I caught the .308 bug last year and picked up a Ruger Scout Rifle.
Enjoy your new toy.
Thank you, I have a bunch of those scopes they are my go to model. How's the Scout rifle working out for you?

Thank you, I have a bunch of those scopes they are my go to model. How's the Scout rifle working out for you?
Mine has the 16” barrel, so it gives velocities almost identical to my 15” Encore handgun. I’ve only played with four 150 gr bullets so far: Speer Spitzer, Hornady Spire Point, Nosler Accubond and Nosler Ballistic Tip. The Speer gives 1.4” accuracy. I was hoping the Nosler BT would shoot well using the same load as the Encore, but alas, not that lucky. A different load does 1.1”. I just started playing with the Nosler AB late last year and shows promise, but unfortunately this COVID-19 thing has closed down the range. I do have some more AB’s loaded up to try. The Hornady’s are shooting very well, 1” or slightly less. IMR 4064 seems to work best in the short barrel.

Mine has the 16” barrel, so it gives velocities almost identical to my 15” Encore handgun. I’ve only played with four 150 gr bullets so far: Speer Spitzer, Hornady Spire Point, Nosler Accubond and Nosler Ballistic Tip. The Speer gives 1.4” accuracy. I was hoping the Nosler BT would shoot well using the same load as the Encore, but alas, not that lucky. A different load does 1.1”. I just started playing with the Nosler AB late last year and shows promise, but unfortunately this COVID-19 thing has closed down the range. I do have some more AB’s loaded up to try. The Hornady’s are shooting very well, 1” or slightly less. IMR 4064 seems to work best in the short barrel.
Just curious are any of the bullets you've tried flat base or are they all boat tail?

Congratulations! The .308 Win has been my favourite caliber for nearly 40 years. I’ve had it in my head for a couple of decades to get one in each type of action, but so far still have just the one. One like yours would definitely fill the bolt niche!

Congratulations! The .308 Win has been my favourite caliber for nearly 40 years. I’ve had it in my head for a couple of decades to get one in each type of action, but so far still have just the one. One like yours would definitely fill the bolt niche!
Go for it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Beautiful rifle. I don't own a bolt .308 but have an old Winchester 100 in 308. Not half as nice as yours!!

Damn COVID19 my 308 brass that I was supposed to get today got rescheduled for Friday.

Great all around gun you have there. I would put a Leupold 4-12X on it and then it would be ready for most anything.
Philip

I'll keep you in mind but doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. That thing shoots like a dream.
jduckhunter
When you start reloading for the 308 give Hogdon CFE223 a good look. Produces good velocity and great accuracy. Sgt Zim is now a convert to it over TAC and Varget.
The 308 is a great caliber. My 15 year old son took his Howa 308 to Namibia last year and dropped everything he shot with it including Burchells zebra and Oryx with 150 grain accubonds loaded with cfe223.
Cheers mate Bob

Meigsbucks
I load 150grain accubonds and SSTs in my son's,308 with CFE223 outstanding velocity 2,900+fps and itty bitty groups. Accubonds into 0.3 and SSTs into 0.75 at 100 yards.
Cheers mate Bob

Nice grab. The .308 Win is super versatile. My wife seems to have staked claim to mine..... Need to get it threaded and start some suppressor paperwork myself, once this COVID business clears.

Nice grab. The .308 Win is super versatile. My wife seems to have staked claim to mine..... Need to get it threaded and start some suppressor paperwork myself, once this COVID business clears.
Yeah the suppressor is like icing on the cake with the 308. I finally got it to the range yesterday and I have to say I was really impressed with it from the first group on. It likes a couple of different 150 gr. bullets with large amounts of IMR4895.

Congratulations, my all time favorite cartridge. As a matter of fact, THE ONLY, Ruger I've ever owned that grouped great was very similar to yours. Mines synthetic, but hey, the SS and synthetic compliment each other just as well. I hope it brings you a lifetime of enjoyment. The 308w is a dream to shoot.

Being a relatively new shooter/hunter i am also looking at a 308, but am not sure whether to get one that is threaded or plain. Does the suppressor truly have any benefits?

Being a relatively new shooter/hunter i am also looking at a 308, but am not sure whether to get one that is threaded or plain. Does the suppressor truly have any benefits?
Suppressors are a very useful tool for hunting and time at the range.
They can make hearing protection unnecessary (depending on caliber).
Also allow those around you to not need it...pretty nice for your PH and tracker.
Game is not accustomed to hearing a suppressed shot.
So you may be able to take multiple shots at game (very useful for varmints).

I have a savage 99 take downin 250-3000 that shoots under and inch all day long, and mostly areound . 300 plus or minus, and a .308 99 that shoots about an inch with 3 shots...My saddle guns..won a lot of turkeys and some big bucks with the 250..I also have a LIpshys special ruger no 1-S fwt/ with a 24 inch barrel in 250-3000 that so far shoots about an inch and getting better as I shoot it, these are usually keepers..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross