Fill this Rifle Gap

@wolfhunter
I shoot a standard Whelen, ain't nought wrong with a 250 gn @2,700fos or a 310 @ 2,455 fps
Bob
I am vond of a little more velocity thats why I use 225 gr. in the whelen I did get some cfe223 to try my 35AI is a pre 64 winchester 25" shilen barrel pacific research stock mat finish . 225 accubonds shoot 1,5" at 200yds 200 .gr ttx are just ass accurate plan to try the 250.gr with the cfe223 iI might of went with a straight 35 whelen if i new about this velocity before i had it bilt
 
I am vond of a little more velocity thats why I use 225 gr. in the whelen I did get some cfe223 to try my 35AI is a pre 64 winchester 25" shilen barrel pacific research stock mat finish . 225 accubonds shoot 1,5" at 200yds 200 .gr ttx are just ass accurate plan to try the 250.gr with the cfe223 iI might of went with a straight 35 whelen if i new about this velocity before i had it bilt
@wolfhunter
What velocity are you getting out of the AI
Bob
 
close to 2900 with 225gr. the 1st moose I shot in AK was 350+ydswitch turned him he then ran closer to us two more rounds and that was it.
 
close to 2900 with 225gr. the 1st moose I shot in AK was 350+ydswitch turned him he then ran closer to us two more rounds and that was it.
@wolfhunter
I get 2,950 with the 225gn Woodleigh PPSP in a standard Whelen. You could probably get close to 3,100 with the AI
Bob
 
what is your load with the 225gr. I might start just a little below that and go up. 250gr. also if you dont mind
 
I found the big ring Huskies a bit thicker than other 98 actions. In other words, the action would not fit a military Mauser 98 stock. Too tight. Triggers also a hair thicker. Thus I would think, considering their quality steel, they are one of the strongest 98's out there. So why waste such action on small caliber? Make it a 35 Whelen or 9.3x62/64. No work required, no butchering the beautiful action to fit magnums. Save the smaller action for 7x57 or 8x57 or similar.
 
22 Hornet?
358 Norma Mag?
358 Shooting Times Alaskan?
I think I’ve settled on two Swedes for each of my boys and a 7x57 for myself.

I do have two 30-06 brnos (one a 600, and the other a zg47) and I’m really thinking a 318WR would be interesting.
 
You need a .22 cal centerfire and a .35 cal of some sort. A .22-250 would be best all around, but it is hard to argue against the .223 Rem based on availability and cost. For the .35 cal, it is a toss up, .358 Win or .35 Whelen... if you are going to be a single .35 shooter, make it the Whelen, personally, I like and shoot both.
 
You need a .22 cal centerfire and a .35 cal of some sort. A .22-250 would be best all around, but it is hard to argue against the .223 Rem based on availability and cost. For the .35 cal, it is a toss up, .358 Win or .35 Whelen... if you are going to be a single .35 shooter, make it the Whelen, personally, I like and shoot both.
@hoytcanon
Had a 788 in 22-250.
Now have a 22K Hornet, 222 rem and a Whelen.
Bob
 
Gotta have something in the smaller range. I vote 6mm-06ai
 
Never forget how fun a nice .22Lr is!
@F. Vaccaro
Now days with all the load development done for all my centerfires I now find myself taking my BRUNO No2 in 22lr to the range more often and shooting it out to 200 yards. A bucket full of fun for not much cost and helps improve shooting skills as a bonus
Bob
 
@F. Vaccaro
Now days with all the load development done for all my centerfires I now find myself taking my BRUNO No2 in 22lr to the range more often and shooting it out to 200 yards. A bucket full of fun for not much cost and helps improve shooting skills as a bonus
Bob
when you use your 22 at 200 yds are you shooting offhand? high power comp the 1st stage was 20 shots at 200. I am like you all my center fire guns are all figured out.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,575
Members
169,375
Latest member
Richmond416
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top