Field Bar

Doug3006

AH legend
Joined
Nov 18, 2015
Messages
3,100
Reaction score
12,150
Media
24
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
1
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X3), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I’ve wanted a field bar for quite a while, but got cold feet when I learned how expensive the store bought versions are. More on this in a minute.

So, I decided to build my own. Here in Missouri, the most common fine wood is American Walnut. It grows abundantly in and is easily sourced at any good mill. I like the contrast between dark brown walnut and yellow wood of Hard Maple, so I used maple for the dividers.

It turned out not bad I think. I’ve spent enough time working on it that I know all of the flaws and defects. I could put more time into it to get it to the next level, but at some point good enough is good enough.

Oh yeah, now I know why the store bought versions are so expensive. I wouldn’t dream of making one to sell. I figure the next one would be easier and better due to the learning curve. But, I’d starve to death trying to make a living at this. Some pics:

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2449.jpeg
IMG_2448.jpeg
 
Very cool! Some beautiful wood there. Hand making anything is worth the while, especially if your the one to use it.
 
That's amazing. Well done!
 
nice looking work there !! you def. have some skills....
 
Well done! :D Beers:
 
I’ve wanted a field bar for quite a while, but got cold feet when I learned how expensive the store bought versions are. More on this in a minute.

So, I decided to build my own. Here in Missouri, the most common fine wood is American Walnut. It grows abundantly in and is easily sourced at any good mill. I like the contrast between dark brown walnut and yellow wood of Hard Maple, so I used maple for the dividers.

It turned out not bad I think. I’ve spent enough time working on it that I know all of the flaws and defects. I could put more time into it to get it to the next level, but at some point good enough is good enough.

Oh yeah, now I know why the store bought versions are so expensive. I wouldn’t dream of making one to sell. I figure the next one would be easier and better due to the learning curve. But, I’d starve to death trying to make a living at this. Some pics:

View attachment 768133
View attachment 768134View attachment 768135
love it!!! I will buy one now that you have a learning curve. I too just think the store bought are too expensive which is why I never bought one. I would argue yours is better than theirs!!!
 
Niiiccce. Very Nice. Well done.

Just don't point out the flaws to anyone; and if someone does notice them: they are called character flaws. LOL.
 
love it!!! I will buy one now that you have a learning curve. I too just think the store bought are too expensive which is why I never bought one. I would argue yours is better than theirs!!!
Thanks Craig! These bars are an extremely limited run. Only people with whom I’ve shared an African campfire are eligible. So….how about Mozambique in 2028?

b32ecccd-deb2-44ee-b1c2-451b9774cac0.jpeg
IMG_9122.jpeg
 
Amazing how a custom piece takes real time and effort. Well done on a very worthwhile project.
 
Very nice! I'll take a shot of the Talisker.
 
That's beautiful. You are very talented. Looks like you got side business potential. Sell a few of those and you can fund your next hunt.
 
Looks great, I've made a few items over the years (as gifts) from wood that grew here in the yard (Maple). I know what you mean about knowing every bobble on a piece, trust me, nobody will notice or care.

Now I'll have to add one of these field bars to my long list of wood working projects to make someday.

AJ
 
Instant heirloom. Well done, Sir.
 
I’ve wanted a field bar for quite a while, but got cold feet when I learned how expensive the store bought versions are. More on this in a minute.

So, I decided to build my own. Here in Missouri, the most common fine wood is American Walnut. It grows abundantly in and is easily sourced at any good mill. I like the contrast between dark brown walnut and yellow wood of Hard Maple, so I used maple for the dividers.

It turned out not bad I think. I’ve spent enough time working on it that I know all of the flaws and defects. I could put more time into it to get it to the next level, but at some point good enough is good enough.

Oh yeah, now I know why the store bought versions are so expensive. I wouldn’t dream of making one to sell. I figure the next one would be easier and better due to the learning curve. But, I’d starve to death trying to make a living at this. Some pics:

View attachment 768133
View attachment 768134View attachment 768135
Very nice . I admire your handiwork. My attempts at cabinet making or carpentry look like a drunken baboon let loose with a chainsaw.
 
Very nice, I believe one of those glasses has my name on it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,282
Messages
1,570,541
Members
168,901
Latest member
Darla72Y01
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top