Federal .308 deconstruction...dang!

@Inline6
That's why I buy 4kg containers. That gives my close to 1,000 round before I have to worry.
If I buy powders that are different lots I get a big container and mix them together to give me the same lot and work my load up.
Bob

That was a 4kg jug I was pulling from. Velocity changed from the top to the bottom of the jug.
 
I bought 3 boxes of Federal 7x57mm Mauser 175Gr Classic Hi-Shok soft point factory loads in 1996 (new imports, so the ammunition was supposed to be fresh).

I tried them out and found out that 18 cartridges out of a 20 round box were prone to misfiring. Other purchasers of these Federal cartridges were also complaining of frequent misfires and hang fires.

I still kept two of the faulty boxes of cartridges as a souvenir (and someday, I might decide to pull the bullets & brass and reload them with new powders and primers).
View attachment 542714View attachment 542715
By contrast, I still have a few loose rounds of the old Winchester Super X 175Gr soft nosed factory load for the 7x57mm Mauser (which got discontinued in 1999). Not only have they never misfired, but their chronographed velocity is still pretty damned close to the advertised velocity of 2450 fps.
View attachment 542720

Now, I don't mean to burn Federal at the stake. Absolutely not. I've successfully shot most of my African Cape buffalo with Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point factory loads in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. And I'm absolutely in love with this cartridge.

But Federal does sometimes leave a lot to be desired with some of their products.

Unfortunately all manufacturers experience some types of failures. Even people who reload can mess up.

Federal and Hornady are my go to for factory ammo. I will shoot all kinds, those two have given me good results.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,277
Messages
1,570,380
Members
168,878
Latest member
ribilmeri1979
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top