Favorite Darling Small-Mid Bore Double?

Stunning guns. For your 400/350, I know you should be able to use 9.3x74r brass, but did you ever source properly headstamped brass for taking it abroad? What bullets did it shoot well?
I had Bertram brass for the two 350s.
The Rigby was proofed for the 225gr bullet so the closest I had was 200gr and honestly, the right bore was so worn that it was never going to group both barrels with a single loading. The best plan for that rifle would have been to rebore and regulate to the 9.3X74R but I wasn’t the guy to do that.
 
On small double I have owned a few
Hyem 7x65R Shot great and I enjoyed it but it was traded for another rifle.
Chapuis UGEX 8x57R and 9.3x74 both shot well but were also traded on a different double
Chapuis RGEX 9.3x74 It and the 8x57R were traded on my Krieghoff 500/416

Currently Small doubles
Chapuis RGEX 9.3x74 (My favorite rifle)
VC O/U 8x57R Nice little rifle that shoot good with factory PRIVI ammo and my hand loads.
Rigby 400/350 hammer gun (Just got some custom dies for it) will start load development after the first of the year.

At some point would love to track down a 22 Hornet or a 303 when I have the funds to buy one.
 
Love my Sarasqueta .303Brit 5-pin SLE. Very basic, not hardly dainty. Compared to a .470 or .577, sure, but mine is what a 9# rifle. I’ve serviced the guts myself, really nice, beefy. Tosses the empties wonderfully.

I’ve been struggling with the irons, let’s see how it goes after my cataracts are both done.
Went with a mid/far lens. Anyone have any experience with this, and irons?
 
Love my Sarasqueta .303Brit 5-pin SLE. Very basic, not hardly dainty. Compared to a .470 or .577, sure, but mine is what a 9# rifle. I’ve serviced the guts myself, really nice, beefy. Tosses the empties wonderfully.

I’ve been struggling with the irons, let’s see how it goes after my cataracts are both done.
Went with a mid/far lens. Anyone have any experience with this, and irons?
Howdy Dave!
 
Love my Sarasqueta .303Brit 5-pin SLE. Very basic, not hardly dainty. Compared to a .470 or .577, sure, but mine is what a 9# rifle. I’ve serviced the guts myself, really nice, beefy. Tosses the empties wonderfully.

I’ve been struggling with the irons, let’s see how it goes after my cataracts are both done.
Went with a mid/far lens. Anyone have any experience with this, and irons?
I had cataracts removed around 10 years ago. I went with a tri ( reading , computer screen and far distances…in very basic e) type lens in both eyes. Best thing I have ever done. I have no problem with using iron sights at all.
 
Love my Sarasqueta .303Brit 5-pin SLE. Very basic, not hardly dainty. Compared to a .470 or .577, sure, but mine is what a 9# rifle. I’ve serviced the guts myself, really nice, beefy. Tosses the empties wonderfully.

I’ve been struggling with the irons, let’s see how it goes after my cataracts are both done.
Went with a mid/far lens. Anyone have any experience with this, and irons?
Yes cataract surgery when I was 45 - both eyes. Still able to shoot with irons 24 years later , but time is catching up .
 
Stop holding back Esoteric Junkie!
More twin pipe 303 rubbish........

002.JPG
034.JPG
037.JPG
058.JPG
039.JPG
077.JPG
019.JPG
Rigby 303 Rt side #2.JPG
Rigby 303 Top.JPG
Rigby 303 bottom.JPG
Rigby 303 left side.JPG
 
That engraving on the H&H looks the same as one pictured in Donald Dallas’ book. Truly magnificent rifles.
 
Love my .405 Winchester double...

HWL
 
Once upon a time I owned a merkel sxs in 7x65r, nice rifle bit it was definitely overly heavy for the caliber. I would like to try out a chapuis rgex in 7x65r or 9.3x74r, I've heard they r light and nice to walk with but being in Canada have never even had the opportunity to see one
 
On Gunsinternational there is a winchester model 21 28 ga with 375 win barrels .That and a 405 win double are my dream doubles .
 
My most accurate double is a 8x57R in .318 by Merkel. Made in 1931. Beautiful wood and engraving. It was retailed by Weisgerber, as was another of my DRs, a 9.3x72R made before standardization (so you must wrap tape around the cases before resizing for the first time so that the midsection gets squeezed a bit more than normal. A .358 bore in that one, so 35 Remington bullets are great.

My favorite small bore for hunting is a 360EX 2.25" black powder proofed little thing, built on a Webley screw grip action and finished up by Watson Bros, or at least retailed by them. I have an early G.E. Lewis from 1873 in 360EX. That's been a bit of a project and I don't think I've gotten the best out of it yet.
 

Attachments

  • pix644699399.jpg
    pix644699399.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 101
  • pix896084559.jpg
    pix896084559.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 105
My only mid bore double is a Chapuis 9.3x74. It also has 20 gauge barrels. I took it to Africa in 2024 and harvested a giraffe with 286 grain A-Frame handloads and sand grouse and francolin as well as a genet with shells containing #7 shot.

I am still looking for the right .303 British.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,294
Messages
1,570,843
Members
169,031
Latest member
EduardoLap
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top