Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, 33 US states and counting
Since we're in safari season after the shows, does anyone have new favorite duffle bags or checked bag options? My rifle case is a tuffpak 1050 but I'm looking for a good duffle/backpack style bag or other good checked bag options for this year's trips. It will hold my locked ammo box and whatever doesn't fit in the tuffpak. I would prefer a backpack style to compliment the rolling Tuffpak transiting through crowded airports, etc. This isn't a carry on question but feel free to share your favorites there as well.

I have a rolling duffel from Cabela's that I got way before Bass Pro took over. For a carry on I just use a Badlands day pack.

The last thing I heard with duffel bags at Joberg is that they need 1 hard side, but that may of changed

I've read that a few times here on the forums about needing 1 hard side but that hasn't been in any of the material from travel agent, meet/greet services, etc. Duffle bags are always common in safari camps and airstrips in Africa. I wonder how accurate that info is?

I have been looking too. I was wanting something like the improved GI. sea bag. Found timbuk2 had something that sort of met my thoughts, but I'm kind of liking the Red Oxx Green Chile posted.

I've read that a few times here on the forums about needing 1 hard side but that hasn't been in any of the material from travel agent, meet/greet services, etc. Duffle bags are always common in safari camps and airstrips in Africa. I wonder how accurate that info is?
In the 2019 season it was brought in, I arrived with my Duffle in June & when I left in October it was banned but I just went over to the wrapping guys, they put the Duffle on a piece of cardboard & Wrapped, all good then, in Africa just make a Plan !

Not sure if it is still in force as I took my travel pack last year ?

PS the wrapping is a good idea any way as it keeps the straps & handles from catching the equipment, which is what they were looking to stop !

Patagonia black hole duffel bags. My family and I use them for travel. They have different sizes. The smaller ones work for a carry on (with shoulder straps). The bigger ones get checked. I put my ammo case inside the bigger duffle. They really are well built.

Here we use canvas, in keeping with the theme. I think M&M does a wheeled one.

I've been researching the Red Oxx bags. Those look promising.
I switched to Red Oxx a couple of years back and have been very impressed with the quality. I used Boyt for years but their quality is not what it used to be and I had a few different bags fail.

Although I only use it as a carry on I love the red oxx sky train. It converts to a backpack.

Wife and I have been using Pelican Protector 1560’s for our checked bags and they work great. I use a 1510 for my carry-on and Dive Bomb Industries Duck Blind Bag as my personal item. The 1510 can be checked if it has to, but the duck bag always stays with me. Wife uses a backpack for her personal item.

Rifles go in a Pelican 1700, but I made the assumption that you meant specifically checked luggage and not firearms.

You can no longer take Tuffpack or a standard duffle through JNB. The big duffels with a flat back and wheels are ok but not a standard duffel.

Phillip,

Soft sided duffel bags are no linger allowed in Joburg? Is this a recent restriction? I went through there last Oct with one and no issues. Also the tuff pack wheeled gun cases are not allowed? I did not travel with a rifle last year but plan on bringing one this year and have always used a tuff pack case. I would hate to have to get a new gun case. Any insight you could provide would be great. Thanks

I just bought a new one for my upcoming trip to South Africa. It’s a Boyt Covey Bag. I’ll let you know how it performs, but it seems well-built.

Phillip,

Soft sided duffel bags are no linger allowed in Joburg? Is this a recent restriction? I went through there last Oct with one and no issues. Also the tuff pack wheeled gun cases are not allowed? I did not travel with a rifle last year but plan on bringing one this year and have always used a tuff pack case. I would hate to have to get a new gun case. Any insight you could provide would be great. Thanks
Not sure what the actual rules are but I checked in with a normal Cordura duffel that weighed 45 pounds 2 weeks ago with no problems at all.
I was unaware of restrictions or I wouldn't have tried

I’m trying something new this year. I’m going to use a pelican air 1615 as my checked bag. For a carry on I’m going with the Red Oxx Beano 5.0.

I’m only taking one rifle, a breakdown double, so I’m looking to take a a compact gun case.

Patagonia black hole duffel bags. My family and I use them for travel. They have different sizes. The smaller ones work for a carry on (with shoulder straps). The bigger ones get checked. I put my ammo case inside the bigger duffle. They really are well built.
I've not the time right now to dig up citations, but I understand the Patagonia company is strongly
anti-hunting. I'm not saying they don't make a good product, but I cannot patronize a company
that is anti-hunting when there are perfectly good alternatives that actively support our sport (Cabela's, Filson, Boyt, KUIU, et al).

Since when is Tuffpak not an option? I just bought a new one last week! No Tuffpak and no duffles will affect almost everyone and I haven't gotten any notice from Gun permits.com or Travel Express on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!