Fast follow up

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I am aware that, even when generating the same energy, a heavier and larger bullet is generally preferred over a lighter smaller one.
However, I got to thinking, what about rapid follow ups? In rifles of the same weight, generating the same energy, a 375 recoils less than a 458.
I ran some numbers comparing a 375 RUM and a 458 Lott and was surprised by the difference.

Now a 458 Lott is likely better for stopping charges with one shot but the RUM is hardly lacking in energy/velocity/sectional density and would be easier to fire rapid aimed shots.

Any validity to this thinking?

IMG_7718.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that the RUM is going to lack penetration due to its incredibly high velocity. As bores get bigger, bullet designers engineer bullets that work at standard velocities. Bigger bores have a sweet spot right in the 2000-2400 FPS range and so bullets expand and penetrate best in that range. .375s might be more like 2000 to 2700FPS. Also, a heavier bullet undoubtedly delivers a heavier blow. John Taylor recognized this when he was working out his Taylor Knock Out values for various rifles. These have been used erroneously over the years to compare everything from hyper velocity small bores to handgun cartridges. Their only application ever was intended to show how likely a knockout was on an elephant with a round that missed the brain. However, for heavy game, we can interpolate that it could approximate the blow an animal would recieve. From it we find that the .458 Lott puts out a TKO of 75 where the RUM manages just 47.I think time and experience will bear out that where follow ups are concerned, a bigger heavier bullet that gets its energy from weight rather than speed will always prove superior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross