Famous Users Of The .30-06 Springfield Against African Dangerous Game

Not African game, but Phil Shoemaker said that he had used the 30-06 with 200 and 220 grain partitions for years on many Kodiac bears in Alaska.

These bears weigh as much as a Cape Buffalo and can be as dangerous as any animal anywhere.
And stopped a charging brown bear with a 9mm pistol as well.

The most famous that I have heard of to use the 30:06 is Hunter Habib :cool:
Oh, come on, now. I'm just a pedestrian nobody (who makes a few lucky shots now & then) compared to some of the great names which are being mentioned on this thread.

The only dangerous game which I've used a .30-06 Springfield on (till now), are:
African leopards
American black bears
A Thai Seladang bison

I’m reasonably certain TR’s M1903 was a .30-03, not ‘06. A very minor difference but a difference nonetheless. As I recollect he was dissatisfied with the accuracy and sent it back to SA and got a very polite reply of “now Theodore, this is an ‘03, not an ‘06, we checked the accuracy with ‘03 ammo and it’s just fine…” and might’ve made some very slight adjustments on it.

Actually the more I think about it, that might’ve been with Winchester on a Model 1895, but I’m pretty sure it was Springfield. Either way, kinda funny how even 120 years ago guys were sending guns back to the factory claiming poor accuracy that ended up being an issue of pilot error.

I’m reasonably certain TR’s M1903 was a .30-03, not ‘06. A very minor difference but a difference nonetheless. As I recollect he was dissatisfied with the accuracy and sent it back to SA and got a very polite reply of “now Theodore, this is an ‘03, not an ‘06, we checked the accuracy with ‘03 ammo and it’s just fine…” and might’ve made some very slight adjustments on it.

Actually the more I think about it, that might’ve been with Winchester on a Model 1895, but I’m pretty sure it was Springfield. Either way, kinda funny how even 120 years ago guys were sending guns back to the factory claiming poor accuracy that ended up being an issue of pilot error.
I quote
“Here’s what is interesting: Roosevelt’s Springfield was (and still is) a .30-03, never actually a .30-06!

For better accuracy, most military .30-03 rifles were modified to .30-06 by turning the barrel back two threads and re-cutting the chamber—but Theodore Roosevelt’s Springfield was not modified. Since either version would have chambered and fired, it isn’t clear whether the Roosevelts used .30-03 or .30-06 ammunition.

Either way, the Springfield rifles performed well and left a lasting impression. A few years later, one of Roosevelt’s Kenya hosts, pioneer PH Leslie Tarlton, described the “American .30” as “the best of the small-bores.”

Good insight here! https://safariclub.org/30-06-in-africa/

Attachments

• 30-06 IN AFRICA - Safari Club.pdf
    147 KB · Views: 15
General Mitchell (father of the USAF) used a 30-06 on Tiger in India.

This post made me take a look at a book written by a good friend of my uncle's to see if he mentioned what rifle he used on tiger. He didn't mention the rifle, but I did find the tidbit pasted in the image below.

His name was Peter Goutiere (born in Uttar Pradesh) and he flew the 'Hump' with Pan-Am/CNAC. He later became the personal pilot for the Maharaja of Jaipur in the 40s and still later became good friends with King Hussein of Jordan and helped him get type-rated in the 707.

Peter and my uncle both graduated from Pan-Am Class 42-A in Miami to help support the war effort. Peter lived a long life only passing away in 2023 - he was 108 years old!

corb.jpg

Peter and his tiger skin

PGoutiere7.jpg

Roosevelt was a self-acknowledged horrible shot. Everyone who hunted with him commented on his poor marksmanship. Might have had something to do with being blind in one eye due to a sparring accident at the White House. I wonder if it was his shooting eye? Hmmm. I will check on that. Nope. Blind in his left eye and signature clearly indicates he was right handed.

Last edited:
Harry Selby used a Plain Jane Remington Model 721 30-06 as a general camp rifle for years. Who knows what all it killed. Apparently proved to be a very reliable rifle. One year a mud dauber wasp built a nest in the muzzle. Selby had to have it re-barreled. Hemingway used a Springfield rifle in original 30-06 in Africa quite a bit and apparently built a reputation with it including, IIRC, at least one rhino.

Apparently as mentioned, Jack O'Connor had no problems with it. I picked up a letter he sent to an individual that was planning a trip to the Yukon in 1956. The person was apparently trying to decide between a 30-06 and a 35 Whelen.

Attachments

• Jack O'connor.pdf
    89.4 KB · Views: 53
I found this article by Selby to be very interesting. Enough so that I have bought three Remington 721's in the last two years to restore for grandchildren and to take one on Safari.

Attachments

• No Ordinary Rifle | An Official Journal Of The NRA.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
30-06 will kill anything on the planet. Only pussies believe this crap about minimums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.