Factory CZ-550 505 Gibbs with Barrel Band Sling Swivel. All Safari Classics?

vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
Hi,

I have a Safari Classics 500 Jeffrey and have been looking to add a 505 Gibbs of the same variety. I just picked up what I think is a pretty rocking deal on a CZ550 505 Gibbs and I was curious if it is a Safari Classics gun (no box with it). It says "CZ 550 Magnum" on the receiver, has the barrel band sling swivel and a straight combed stock with nice grain (same shape as my SC 500 Jeff). I have certainly seen fancier wood on some SC rifles but this one has some dark streaking to it.

At first I thought all CZ550 505 Gibbs guns went through the Safari Classics shop but I see that they offer the Gibbs in one other rifle in their catalog. However, it is the American Magnum and appears to have the cheek swell stock and front sling swivel on the forend (not a barrel band).

My CZ SC 500 Jeff says "CZ 550 Safari Classics" on the reciever but the 505 Gibbs Safari Classics guns that I have seen on the internet do not necessarily have that on the side only stating "CZ 550 Magnum" most of the time just like the one I just bought.

So, do you guys think the 505 Gibbs that I just bought is most likely a Safari Classics gun based on my description? It is probably not a huge deal since I plan to eventually get the full AHR treatment done on it but I was just curious as I think it makes a little difference in value (how good of a deal it was). Thanks!

Post up some Pics

Photo borrowed from the seller:

Attachments

• CZ 505 Gibbs_zpskyk4yv96.jpeg
    CZ 505 Gibbs_zpskyk4yv96.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 775
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW great looking rifle.

Nice rifle, do you know if it was built as a 505 Gibbs from the Factory or built in the US at the Custom shop. also Thats some real decent wood

I don't know the answer to that question just yet. That is pretty much what I am trying to figure out. I wonder if SC would tell me if I called them with the serial number?

Maybe I can tell more when I get it into my hands but I don't quite have it here yet.

Who ever built it I really don't think it matters it's a fine DG rifle

Thanks. I agree, it should be a very nice DGR as long at it is as advertised (which I am sure that it is). :)

My guess is it was built by the CZ Custom Shop in the U.S. You can probably call Jason there with the serial number and find out.

They Did my 404Jeff
IMG_0701.jpg
I bought a 375HH used and shipped it to the Custom shop for the conversion, I opted not to do the stock upgrade which saved me 700.00, spent some of the savings on a jeweled bolt and a Mercury reducer

Last edited:
I believe all of the CZ 550s in 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs were the Safari Classic models. They all came with fancy wood and a mercury recoil reducer. I talked to Jason at CZ and Harlan at Triple River more than a few times when I was having mine made. Nice people to work with .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg