ETS

^^^

You learn something new every day. Thanks!

There is an option? Pardon my ignorance, but what happens here? Do you screw them on when they arrive? I've never thought about this...

Note the Kudu and Nyala horns are not attached. The Bushbuck and Reedbuck horns are.

Anything with a horn has a bone core. Most critters in Africa. A few have antlers.

To properly disinfect the trophy the core must be cut off and a hole drilled into the centre and appropriate chemical added and then dried out completely.

The horns are removed through boiling, etc.

After you get them back home you slip them on.
Putty or foam could fill the space.
Mine just stay on by themselves. I will not affix them because one day you may move!

Attachments

• IMG00023-20120404-1715_zps0eedbd83.jpg
    IMG00023-20120404-1715_zps0eedbd83.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 94
Thank you for the picture Brickburn, and the further explanation. I love to keep learning about this stuff!

It seems my question about the horns have opened up a whole new topic for discussion. I know that some Taxidermists prefer to affix the horns which is fine. What I do not understand is that Hunters are not at least given the choice or the option of choosing to have the horns loose from the trophy which will ultimately save you lots of money when it comes to the packing, transport and freight.
Still working on a detailed response for "Brickburn's" NZ Scenario...........

Small Shipment New Zealand

Estimated Volumetric weight: 210 kg
Estimated actual weight: 95 kg

Insurance calculation:
Oryx = US$3500 (SCI)
Kudu = US$3400 (SCI)
Impala = US$2300 (SCI)

Airfreight estimate

Airfreight ($3.50 p/kg) 735.00
Departure fee 73.50
Airline fuel ($1.00 p/kg) 210.00
Airline security ($0.10 p/kg) 21.00
Documentation 120.00
Cartage/Collection ($0.65 p/kg) 136.50 (if required)
Packing ($0.65 p/kg) 136.50
Fumigation - 90.00 (if required)
Insurance ($12000 cover) - 180.00 (optional)
Agency Fee 170.25

This estimate is based on a service with Qantas. We do not have a preference but the other available Airlines (Emirates, Singapore & Thai Airlines) are more expensive.

Clearance and delivery services at destination are not included. We work with a reputable Broker in New Zealand and we will gladly put you in touch with them if you do not have your own Broker/Agent.

*****We are waiting for Ocean freight rates from the available Shipping lines quote to follow*****

Airfreight shipments take about 14 days to reach final destination from the time we receive our funds. Ocean freight shipments can take up to 6 weeks longer.

This particular consignment will not be consolidated, simply because there are not enough trophy consignments to New Zealand. The wait could be very long to find other trophies to consolidate with.

The only paperwork we need to export these trophies is a Taxidermy Invoice, packing list and a plains game permit. There is no additional fee if we are required to apply for the export permit.
These are fully processed trophies and no Veterinary documentation is required. New Zealand also has no special import requirements or red-tape. (Cannot say the same for their neighbours, Australia)

Insurance

As you will see from the above Insurance calculation, we cover almost every aspect of your trophies.

There is a replacement value - in the unlikely event of total loss
There is Taxidermy cover - in case of small damage that can be easily repaired by a Taxidermist in your area
And we even cover the freight side of it - so if we have to replace a trophy, it can be flown to you at no cost to you.
We also add a 10% shortfall just because we know 3rd party prices can escalate over night

We do not have many claims but as Murphy would have it, things tend to have a way of taking a turn for the worst when youæ± e not covered so we would suggest some form of cover, bearing in mind that you can reduce, increase or remove the cover at your discretion.

In the unlikely event of a claim you would be required to provide photos, delivery notes and any other related paperwork.

It is important to remember that you have to inspect your crate as soon as it arrives. Note any damages or watermarks to the crate on the delivery note. Open your crate as soon as possible to see if there are any missing trophies or damages to the trophies themselves. You have about three days from the time you received your trophies to lodge a claim. Our Insurance Brokers are lenient on this but you cannot claim a month after you received your trophies as it would be very difficult to prove that damage occurred during transit or wilts in your possession.

Once the assessment of your claim is complete, which can take up to 30 days, it will take another 10 days or so before the funds are made available to you.

Please remember that if one trophy is damaged, you cannot claim the total cover but only the cover relating to that trophy. If the trophy can be repaired, you will be asked to provide estimates from your local Taxidermist to do so and only that amount will be paid out. If it is determined that to fix the trophy will be more than to replace the trophy, you will then be paid out the whole amount but you will not be able to keep the broken/damaged trophy.

Dear BRICKBURN,

If I missed any questions or if anyone has any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Andrew Edwards

Small Shipment New Zealand

Ocean freight estimate

Ocean freight 610.83
Departure fee 61.08
Documentation 120.00
Cartage/Collection ($0.65 p/kg) 136.50 (if required)
Packing ($0.65 p/kg) 136.50
Fumigation - 90.00 (if required)
Insurance ($12000 cover) - 180.00 (optional)
Agency Fee 133.49

Welcome to AH Andrew! Enjoy the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross