Ethics of blind hunting?

I think humans are best suited for ambush style hunting and it is my main tactic for our regular deer season . I never really thought about the ethics of it , just the idea that you could always get up and walk around. And I do on occasion. To each his own

Around here (Illinois) a lot of people have to hunt small plots of land. When you are hunting a 20 acre farm, stalking is not much of an option. So tree stands and blinds are normal here.
I live in Pennsylvania and the farm I hunt on doesn't have much woods. Like an acre or two out of 60. You pretty much watch the fields . Same deal here .

Totally unethical.

Having the blind hunt is unacceptable.

I get it, they should enjoy every right and privilege as their seeing counterparts.

To that end, we all have to admit our shortcomings. We can all admit that a quadriplegic isn’t well suited to the swim team. It’s not our intent to be cruel. This isn’t to suggest that there isn’t a multitude of other activities they can enjoy.

Lets find a way to get them afield and let them enjoy hunting without risking them shooting random passers by or wounding game.

Last edited:
kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible, in other words, make the best shot possible.
so out of a blind, walking, running , crawling, tree stand etc, whatever it takes to make the best shot possible and kill the quarry effectively

Wow! There were some really good comments on this thread so far! Comparisons between wild animals and commercially raised livestock, blinds giving an opportunity for a better (more ethical/humane/safe) shot, stressing the importance of keeping things legal, considering the area(s) that the hunting is taking place in, local customs and beliefs, historic hunting styles and tactics, accepting that we don't all hunt the same way, being open minded and gentlemen like, staying unified as hunters, respecting other's choices....... I'm truly quite impressed! My thoughts are similar to many others posted already.
What I would like to add, is that I 100% respect a non-hunter's choice to not hunt. Taking the life of an animal is certainly not for everyone. But being against hunting..... well, that I have a hard time with. I feel that any person who is opposed to hunting had better be vegan....or at the very least vegetarian. If they eat meat (of any kind) then are they not hypocritical? Choosing to not kill something yourself I totally understand, but condemning someone for doing it when you eat meat that someone else has killed? That's bullsh¡te!
I've said this many times......
There are two types of carnivores..... predators, and scavengers.

In line with LVW's comments on the Bullets for buffalo thread, it appears as though we will have to contact LVw for his guide book on ethics to find out if hunting from hides is ethical or not.

Totally unethical.

Having the blind hunt is unacceptable.

I get it, they should enjoy every right and privilege as their seeing counterparts.

To that end, we all have to admit our shortcomings. We can all admit that a quadriplegic isn’t well suited to the swim team. It’s not our intent to be cruel. This isn’t to suggest that there isn’t a multitude of other activities they can enjoy.

Lets find a way to get them afield and let them enjoy hunting without risking them shooting random passers by or wounding game.
I would give this post more than a couple dislikes if only my phone and the forum would allow it to be possible. Idiocy is all I can think of the above statement.

I am on a whitetail and turkey lease of 160 acres, Appalachian foothills, so everyone hunts the ridge tops in ladder stands, essentially blinds as you're in static positions. Common hunting technigue in the eastern US. Walk and stalk isn’t possible here.

Emm I hope you know he was making a joke as in people who are blind should not be shooting around the place ?

Might not be in best taste in this day & age I suppose ?

At least I think he was joking !

I would give this post more than a couple dislikes if only my phone and the forum would allow it to be possible. Idiocy is all I can think of the above statement.
I believe this is in the form of a joke Trogon, he is clearly talking about blind people hunting, not hunting from a blind.

I get you guys, my apologies if so to @wiltznucs. I should have read the post over. Somewhat aggravated with a work issue this morning that carried over into my response. Fridays shouldn't be Mondays.

Hmmmmm, nothing against blinds or bows, but I have seen a few clips where it looks like a permanent set up at a feeding spot. You could see the ground trampled by a thousand hooves, so in that case habituation is obvious. I am not going to condemn that hunter, but at least the operator could put a bit more work and imagination into preparing for his bow hunter clients. For sure the walk and stalk bow hunter is the elite of the bunch, wow that must take a very full bag of finely honed skills.

I get you guys, my apologies if so to @wiltznucs. I should have read the post over. Somewhat aggravated with a work issue this morning that carried over into my response. Fridays shouldn't be Mondays.
No apology needed mate; I fully knew the moment I hit the reply button that some would laugh and others would take the bait...

I remain firm in my convictions that the blind should not be hunting. If that’s unpopular; so be it. LOL...

As for the subject of hunting from blinds. I have no problem with it. It’s a valuable tool that leads to ethical harvests.

Truth be told, I’ve never heard an anti-Hunter discuss the use of blinds. I worked with academics for two decades. Rubbed elbows with antis on a daily basis.

The antis are opposed to all forms of hunting and don’t deal in moral platitudes. It’s all wrong to them. They don’t care about blinds.

In fact, as I remember it the blind versus no blind argument arose from bowhunters themselves. Who was the superior hunter? The spot and stalk hunter or the blind hunter? It was a dick measuring contest then and remains so today.

Which really highlights an issue plaguing hunting in general which is the fight from within. I’m on very few forums any more because of it.

“Them antlers look cool; but, I actually eat my game that’s why I took this here doe”

“I only archery hunt; rifle hunting isn’t sporting”

“Using them TSS shells is only for people who can’t call a Turkey in”

“Yep, that’s a fine trophy. Probably paid $10,000 for it. I’ll take this raghorn I got. I don’t need a guide to kill an elk”

“Shot that deer at 600 yards with your 6.5 Creed? Thats not hunting, I’d of belly crawled in and popped him at 10 paces with my 30-30”

The antis are certainly a problem; but, at least here in the States much of the problems inside the hunting community would be solved by 1) minding your own business and 2) accepting that if the behavior is legal from a regulatory standpoint that someone in a position of authority has thus deemed it ethical.

One of the key reasons I enjoy this site is seeing people genuinely happy to see others hunting. Even offering sincere congratulations to the happy hunter. It’s become so toxic on many other forums.

Last edited:
No apology needed mate; I fully knew the moment I hit the reply button that some would laugh and others would take the bait...

I remain firm in my convictions that the blind should not be hunting. If that’s unpopular; so be it. LOL...

As for the subject of hunting from blinds. I have no problem with it. It’s a valuable tool that leads to ethical harvests.

Truth be told, I’ve never heard an anti-Hunter discuss the use of blinds. I worked with academics for two decades. Rubbed elbows with antis on a daily basis.

The antis are opposed to all forms of hunting and don’t deal in moral platitudes. It’s all wrong to them. They don’t care about blinds.

In fact, as I remember it the blind versus no blind argument arose from bowhunters themselves. Who was the superior hunter? The spot and stalk hunter or the blind hunter? It was a dick measuring contest then and remains so today.

Which really highlights an issue plaguing hunting in general which is the fight from within. I’m on very few forums any more because of it.

“Them antlers look cool; but, I actually eat my game that’s why I took this here doe”

“Yep, that’s a fine trophy. Probably paid $10,000 for it. I’ll take this raghorn I got. I don’t need a guide to kill an elk”

“Shot that deer at 600 yards with your 6.5 Creed? Thats not hunting, I’d of belly crawled in and popped him at 10 paces with my 30-30”

The antis are certainly a problem; but, at least here in the States much of the problems inside the hunting community would be solved by 1) minding your own business and 2) accepting that if the behavior is legal from a regulatory standpoint that someone in a position of authority has thus deemed it ethical.
I think you are spot on with the fighting within. On my wife's family there is constant debating regarding my brother in law with his 6. 5 Creedmoor shooting long distance vs as you said, belly crawling to within farting distance.

I use to also have "MY" opinion regarding this but kept it to myself as i have a simple philosophy in life. "to each their own".

My opinion changed when i went hunting with last year. It is vast open savanah and getting within 500m is virtually impossible, that said, longer shots are necessary. I quickly learned a valuable lesson that weekend that there are reasons fir different types of hunting.

One of the key reasons I enjoy this site is seeing people genuinely happy to see others hunting. Even offering sincere congratulations to the happy hunter. It’s become so toxic on many other forums.
Great comment @wiltznucs !

In line with LVW's comments on the Bullets for buffalo thread, it appears as though we will have to contact LVw for his guide book on ethics to find out if hunting from hides is ethical or not.
It is actually IvW...
You like it do it, many animals are hunted from hides or blinds some you would not get if you do not make use of them.
Having said that hunting cape buffalo with a rifle over a water hole or alfalfa feed put out? Well not exactly my idea of hunting a cape buffalo, if it rocks your boat and you want to do it that way enjoy, just remember to share your experience of the most hunted dg animal with your buddies....the way it really happened....

All hunters have always endeavored to use the hunting strategies that best work for them... Lions have evolved to hunt buffalo in packs because a lone lion's chances on a buff are low, and they have evolved a style of hunt where some lions drive the buff to others who ambush them because this is what works best for them.

When it comes to hunting, the only difference between human and animals is that human have evolved to produce and use tools.

The list of rhetorical questions that this raises is endless...

It may have started with wielding a club, or throwing a rock ... and as man evolved, the tool developed through stages: spear, bow & arrows, smooth bore black powder, rifled barrel, smokeless powder, projectile, scope, laser range finder, ballistic software, etc.

Is there a fundamental behavioral difference between a 2021 AD human making a laser and computer assisted shot and a 60,000 BC hunter using this new fangled bow & arrow technology to make a kill? Both use(d) the best possible tool available to them. Should modern human stop evolution? That is an interesting question when it also encompasses medicine, transportation, food production, etc.

Is climbing in a tree and sitting on a branch OK, but strapping a stand to a tree not OK? is hiding in a natural feature to ambush game OK, but popping up a camo blind not OK? is hitting close OK, but hitting far not OK? define far? is stalking OK, but ambushing not OK? is ambushing along a trail to food OK, but ambushing over food or water not OK? is tracking OK, but spotting not OK?

At the legalistic stage of society we have evolved, it seems that a basic pain-avoidance strategy - an ageless concept going back to the dawn of time - is to comply with the law.

As for hunting strategy,
some seek challenge, some seek facility, some have endless time, some have precious little time, some can access endless vastness, some are constrained to small places, some are in open country, some are in dense woods, etc. this all feeds into what hunting strategy we select.

As to what is moral or immoral, brave or cowardly, ethical or unethical, culturally acceptable or frowned upon, etc. it seems that it all varies from society to society, and from individual to individual. The pain-avoidance strategy is still a fundamental behavioral driver: can you live with what you do? i.e. is your act ethical / moral (pick the concept you favor) per YOUR definition? can others make your life painful for what you do? i.e. is this culturally acceptable / ethical / moral per THEIR definition?

We all have our own threshold for pleasure and for pain, be it physical or emotional, and we all come with our own answers to the level of pleasure we seek and the level of legal wrangling, self-inflicted conscience wrestling, and peer pressuring we want to risk handling...

As in most any other things in hunting, from critter hunted, to hunting style, to hunting place, to hunting equipment, etc. to each our own :)

Those whose choices are too far out of their society's norm - right, wrong or indifferent - will typically need to live with their society's reaction, from being shun by their buddies, to visiting Kingi Georgi's hotel (jail)...

Last edited:

My recent girlfriend is blind. sure, there are limitations like I always got to be the designated driver, but with accommodations we were able to do lots of things together. Unfortunately our relationship ended before we could hunt together. I know it was a joke and for sure, blind people shouldn't be doing solo spot and stalk rifle hunts. But it would not have been at all difficult to hunt together safely and ethically and I wish we had gotten to do so.

Black bear hunting with a rifle is a good example. Out west you can spot and stalk them and I do not believe they use blinds. You really can't do that in the flatter, dense bush in Ontario. You could call them I have heard. But, baiting and using a blind is almost necessary I believe.
I prefer dogs for bears and mountain lions.

I tried to read every post thus far and finally skimmed over the last few. What I did not see mentioned, and I may have missed it, is the ability that a blind gives the shooter a chance to properly age and judge the animal.
Here in South Texas, and really all over the lower part of the country, blinds are commonly used for deer hunting. The ranch that I am fortunate to hunt on is 34,000 acres and is on a strict deer management program. No grain fields, no protein feed, just the corn feeders utilized during deer season. The goal is to take only the mature animals, whether that be a shooter buck or a cull buck. Age is very important. That little bit of corn out in the open allows us to glass those deer for several minutes, maybe up to an hour, in order to make a proper decision on whether to shoot or not shoot. And it also provides a stable shooting platform for the rifle and hunter, thus helping to ensure a good single shot kill.
I prefer to bow hunt from a tripod with minimum cover around me when I'm hunting around here, but often have to use a 'box' blind setup. Again, it gives me time to age the deer and then, hopefully, make a single kill shot.
In Africa, we use blinds and I prefer it. My daughter is leery of spot and stalk as she has never attempted it before. I have not had the chance to spot and stalk, but i would love to should the opportunity present itself.
With the blind for my daughter, again, it gives her the ability to sit next to a PH who is guiding her on which animal to shoot, when to shoot, and where to shoot. Then after the shot, he is seasoned enough to maintain a visual on the shot placement and direction of flight.
While sitting all day is not for everyone, it is not a sure bet "shoot and kill" setup. I know I have missed my fair share of animals under 40 yards that before I released that arrow, I was already having mental images of a nice pass through.
All forms of hunting, as long they are legal and ethical, should be accepted within the hunting community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!