Epoxy Cleanup

86thecat

AH senior member
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Messages
92
Reaction score
130
Have seen quite a few posts about stock work . Since a lot of that work involves epoxy, thought it worthwhile to mention that kitchen vinegar breaks down uncured epoxy.

Scrub with some vinegar, followed with a dish detergent wash and it gets rid of that dark stain that epoxy leaves on your hands.
Built and repaired boats for years, used lots of epoxy and it was a wonderful day when I found out about vinegar. Lots of guys washed up with acetone.
Careful with vinegar aroud projects as it will weaken any epoxy it comes in contact with that isn't completely cured.
 
Just keep in mind, vinegar is hell on bluing. So be very careful if using it to clean up when bedding a rifle with metalwork installed.
 
Definitely do not use for cleanup on rifle, or anywhere else epoxy strength is needed. Breaks down and weakens epoxy as well as removing blueing.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but acetone doesn't bother bluing, correct? I use lacquer thinner to clean up epoxy and it works well. Just a couple hours ago I discovered devcon had filled the torqueshead tightening screw on my 404's Timney trigger that I somehow forgot to protect with paste wax (I am in the process of restocking to a previously used stock). Lacquer thinner softened up the devcon (JB Weld) and I was able to pick the glue out of the screw socket.
 
Acetone is ok but may wreck finish if it gets on a stock.
My suggestion of vinegar is for hands where even acetone leaves a dark residue behind and is not healthy to use on skin. It is my understanding that acetone carries anything it breaks down across cell membranes as well as going directly into blood system.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,410
Members
170,037
Latest member
EvaBoyles
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top