Elephant Frontal Brain Shot Placement

Mr. Glass.
At https://www.ronthomsonshuntingbooks.co.za is a book available named Mahohboh.
Cereainly. As as regards elephant. And to my judgement. One of the very best tuitions available. For happenings in a more modern era. From the wanderings of an elephant hunter by WDM Bell is there a wealth of learning to be had as well. It could be that I personally just relate to Ron Thomson. Better. or what ever. This is my elephant black book.
And, In my humble opinion again. After parting with a great deal of sovereigns to accomplish your. And the elephant hunts of so many other. Is the money expended. Versus the experience gained in acquiring this marvel. A drop in the ocean. I rest my case. And I'll be a mopane fly on your hat. During your hunt.
Enjoy.
This book is available on Kindle. Bought it just now for under 10 bucks. For those interested.

Just to clarify, are you saying the green crosshair is to high or the level of the red arrow or both are too high ?
Both are too high red can work but shot needs to be placed low enough to achieve that.

This is a much more difficult shot than what it appears to be. I would not have a client take this shot......Let me clarify why in my opinion.....

This is a large bull I would estimate 3.4 to 3.5m at shoulder height.
The bull is aware of whoever took the picture and therefore has his head cocked up and ears out...not too alarmed and still calm but well aware.
His head is at an accute angle(not square to the person taking the picture) and his body is quartering to quite a lot.

Green cross will go over the brain(biggest mistake on frontal shot is 99% high). Red arrow level is better. In order to get to the level of the of the brain(you will be shooting at an upward angle the bull is 3.5m tall at the shoulder the head is even higher) the shot needs to be placed on the second crease down from the green cross or right between the eyes but to the right.

Why would I not take this shot or allow a client to take it?
Frontal brain shot is the most difficult and the bull needs to be facing the hunters square.
Look at the picture of the scull and it will show clearly that the tusk sockets reach all the way up to the eye level. This is also the hardest bone in the scull. Unless a proper bullet is used(brass meplat solid) from minimum a 458 Lott 500 is better the bullet may be deflected and not penetrate and the top of the left tusk will be damaged. Round nosed solid will not work.

Correct shot placement will have to go throught the left tusk socket which is not worth the risk as the chance of hitting the brain after that is very low.

I think these diagrams illustrate the up down aimpoint pretty well. Maybe 6 inches variance in aimpoint up and down between 30 and 5 yards. Maybe 10 or 12 inches difference in head up or down in the series of 3 pictures. It is why a frontal shot is not easy.
elephant_shot_simulation.jpg
elephant_distances_2.jpg

Both are too high red can work but shot needs to be placed low enough to achieve that.

This is a much more difficult shot than what it appears to be. I would not have a client take this shot......Let me clarify why in my opinion.....

This is a large bull I would estimate 3.4 to 3.5m at shoulder height.
The bull is aware of whoever took the picture and therefore has his head cocked up and ears out...not too alarmed and still calm but well aware.
His head is at an accute angle(not square to the person taking the picture) and his body is quartering to quite a lot.

Green cross will go over the brain(biggest mistake on frontal shot is 99% high). Red arrow level is better. In order to get to the level of the of the brain(you will be shooting at an upward angle the bull is 3.5m tall at the shoulder the head is even higher) the shot needs to be placed on the second crease down from the green cross or right between the eyes but to the right.

Why would I not take this shot or allow a client to take it?
Frontal brain shot is the most difficult and the bull needs to be facing the hunters square.
Look at the picture of the scull and it will show clearly that the tusk sockets reach all the way up to the eye level. This is also the hardest bone in the scull. Unless a proper bullet is used(brass meplat solid) from minimum a 458 Lott 500 is better the bullet may be deflected and not penetrate and the top of the left tusk will be damaged. Round nosed solid will not work.

Correct shot placement will have to go throught the left tusk socket which is not worth the risk as the chance of hitting the brain after that is very low.
I agree, never a first shot. If wounded, this would be an unlikely angle but I would be throwing some lead I guess but better to wait and give him a heart shot as he turns away. He is not coming in a charge and is probably 30- 40 yards from the camera. Just an academic theoretical practise, very unlikely to ever face that particular shot

This diagram seems very helpful. And the discussion has been educational. In case anyone is wondering about my post describing the charge and shot that I recently experienced missing the brain too low/in front, I offer this sketch of what I believe happened. Range was 5-6 Meters. Elephants head was tipped very far forward, and our external aiming points for shots "1&2" should have been higher on the skull. I agree with the advice, "If in doubt, shoot low" but this charging bull was an exception. Then when he was on the ground, I shot too high twice ( shots 3 & 4) because of the flat angle of the skull as he was stretched out, more like the middle illustration. Events happened very quickly and by using my instincts I was concentrating too much on the outside clues, not enough on the actual location of the brain.
elephant_shot_simulation.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you