Eld-x bullets

I can’t say because I wont use them in thicker skinned animals, but basically, Hornady has marketed a match bullet as a hunting bullet, which is fine if you get that nice broadside shot. BUT, when driven fast, and you need to go through a shoulder to hit vitals, they are known to separate and explode, which even Hornady acknowledges. I would use them on pronghorn, deer, and the smaller antelope, but give me a 55” kudu quartering toward me where I need to drive through shoulder to get to vitals, and the ELD-X is one of the last bullets I’d want, and I’d probably pass on the shot. I get that they are accurate, but with bullets like the Federal Terminal Ascent on the market, I just don’t see the need for the ELD-X.

A lot of what is behind this thread are our personal biases on bullet design relative to terminal performance. Members who I respect greatly like the ELD-X and Berger bullets. These are bullets that are designed to expand almost explosively after entering the target. They claim to have good experience with them and I believe them.

I personally prefer more controlled expansion. I am an A-Frame addict. For long range applications I shoot a Nosler AccuBond LR. I like to break through bone and know I will have a good exit wound.

So IMO to answer a question on ELD-X performance, I think you first need to decide what your expectations of a bullet’s terminal performance are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.