Eland experience request from the more seasoned hunters

My experience with eland is only one animal so my advice is next to worthless, but I had a bad experience that I want to share so you can learn form it. I made a poor first shot with a small light bullet, and I was amazed at how tough that unfortunate animal was when following up to finish it off. I hit it too far back with a 30-06 165gr tsx, just clipping one lung and the liver. Shot was fairly far too, just under 300 yards. I kept shooting, and he kept walking. It took five more shots properly placed before that bull finally succumbed. He deserved better, and I'm not proud of the incident, but I learned something. Next time I hunt eland I'm stalking closer, taking more care with shot placement, and using my .375 .
View attachment 215376
You can see three of the five shots it took to finish this bull, once they get their adrenalin pumping those little 30-06 bullets just didn't seem to get his attention.
Two of those are heart shots. Oh well... like I used to tell a boss I had when he was trying to crtitcize my work: "you can't be perfect all the time..."

I am planning to hunt eland as part of my upcoming trip to the Eastern Cape. I am going to bring both a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H. My PH seems to think the .300 is preferable for eland because it is flatter-shooing, thus making for more reliable long-range shots. I am inclined to use the .375 with 260 grain bullets, as I never like the idea of not using enough gun. Comments welcome.
Sounds like you don't really need advice. A 35 Whelen with 225TXS worked for me. The 300 should be great as long as you use premium heavier bullets.

I am hoping I have time to chase Livingstone Eland in the BVC, after Cape Buffalo.

The Cape Eland in my avatar was taken with a 180gr TTSX from a 300 H&H. Full penetration through both shoulders. He was a dead Eland standing...but another shot was needed to get him to the ground quickly...and then another when he lifted his head.

Yup, they are a tough kill for sure. But an awesome stalking hunt...and that is why I booked a 12 day buffalo hunt...I really want some time to hunt Eland!

I shot my bull eland after a two and a half day long hunt and I was just about to give up when my tracker and I ran into a group of 5 at very close range in heavy brush and it was a snap shot at about 60 yards with the scope set at 3x on a CZ-375 H&H mag. the right wind and careful stalking is a must . a friend who I hunted with hunted 3 days and didn,t get a shot. my advice is make sure your boots are of good quality and broken it and that your rifle is sighted in right. les.

This one with a 416 Rem. I didn't feel over-gunned.

Zim Eland 2015 2.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuisaOLogh

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.