Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Made it out to Keyhole reservoir yesterday which is about 45 miles away. We were fishing by 8:15 am. Still early season here. Surface temp was 42 when we arrived. The fish we were catching were mostly over 40 feet deep. 3 of us in the boat caught 42 fish if my count was correct. 1 pike and a few perch, but mostly walleye. We kept 15. Limit is 6 each. Lots of smaller ones. Biggest was 17 inches. Quit around 6 and headed home. Dinner was fresh walleye. One of the best eating fish there is. Caught them mostly on a 1/4 oz jig with a minnow.
Bruce
upload_2020-4-26_9-18-57.jpeg

Gillettehunter, my dad used to call those size walleyes "hammer handles." Skinned and fileted they are my favorite fresh water fish. I live on an island between the U.S. and Canada, there has been 100(s) of guys out fishing in front of my house for a couple of weeks. The Governor reversed her ban on fishing form a motor boat at 11:00 AM on Friday (two days ago) by 12:30 there were 20 to 30 boats within a 1/4 mile of my place.

Made it out to Keyhole reservoir yesterday which is about 45 miles away. We were fishing by 8:15 am. Still early season here. Surface temp was 42 when we arrived. The fish we were catching were mostly over 40 feet deep. 3 of us in the boat caught 42 fish if my count was correct. 1 pike and a few perch, but mostly walleye. We kept 15. Limit is 6 each. Lots of smaller ones. Biggest was 17 inches. Quit around 6 and headed home. Dinner was fresh walleye. One of the best eating fish there is. Caught them mostly on a 1/4 oz jig with a minnow.
Bruce
View attachment 344448
42c temp would be ok....but 42f.......:E Cold:

42c temp would be ok....but 42f.......:E Cold:

The air temp when we arrived was 38 F. Around 60F when we left. Yes that first run across the lake was chilly, but worth it.

Gillettehunter, my dad used to call those size walleyes "hammer handles." Skinned and fileted they are my favorite fresh water fish. I live on an island between the U.S. and Canada, there has been 100(s) of guys out fishing in front of my house for a couple of weeks. The Governor reversed her ban on fishing form a motor boat at 11:00 AM on Friday (two days ago) by 12:30 there were 20 to 30 boats within a 1/4 mile of my place.

I have seen the term hammer handle used for Northern pike but not for walleye. Interesting. I love to fish. Your location sounds like heaven to me.
Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmm!!! Those are perfect eating size! Envious! According to the WF&G website, your governor won’t let us come fish without doing a 14 day quarantine! Booo! I guess you get all the walleye until the state opens back up!

Fun trip! Nice

Mmmmm!!! Those are perfect eating size! Envious! According to the WF&G website, your governor won’t let us come fish without doing a 14 day quarantine! Booo! I guess you get all the walleye until the state opens back up!

Yes we have a 14 day quarantine in place. Not sure how they are enforcing it tho..... I expect that to be removed before too long. Come fish when things get better. I'm always looking for an excuse to go. The fishing will get better over the next 6 weeks.
Bruce

Come fish when things get better. I'm always looking for an excuse to go. The fishing will get better over the next 6 weeks.
That sounds like an excellent time!

Art do you ever throw a line in the lake?

Yes we have a 14 day quarantine in place. Not sure how they are enforcing it tho..... I expect that to be removed before too long. Come fish when things get better. I'm always looking for an excuse to go. The fishing will get better over the next 6 weeks.
Bruce

Have my fingers crossed that they remove the ban soon. Would like to head up and go bear hunting and maybe a little fishing. Have to see

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Well done.

Nice catch! Mmmm....good. For me, they ARE the best eating freshwater fish.

No Charlie, I haven't fished for Walleye in close to 20 years. I helped a neighbor skin and filet his catch and continue to do so on occasion. In exchange for that he gives me all the Walleye I want or need.

Bruce
View attachment 344448
upload_2020-4-29_13-24-12.jpeg

envy you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois