Early booking or last minute?

Agrarler

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I‘d like to share some thoughts with you and would like to hear your opinions:
I finished 3 safaris and already booked number 4 for this October. I did the booking for those hunts all long in advance.
I wonder if that is the best way? Reading the last minute offers or cancellation hunts available some great deals come along from time to time!
I think from an outfitters point of view both has it‘s advantage: booking in advance allows to calculate the business and build a basic schedule for the season. But of course, when it comes to cancellations or free slots in the planning everybody is thankful for spontaneous clients…
Please tell me your thoughts!
2025 is not booked yet ;)

I finished 3 safaris and already booked number 4 for this October. I did the booking for those hunts all long in advance.
I wonder if that is the best way? Reading the last minute offers or cancellation hunts available some great deals come along from time to time!
I think from an outfitters point of view both has it‘s advantage: booking in advance allows to calculate the business and build a basic schedule for the season. But of course, when it comes to cancellations or free slots in the planning everybody is thankful for spontaneous clients…
I agree you can get some unbelievable deals on last minute cancellations. The problem that I have is scheduling off from work for 2 weeks without a lot of notice. Guys with flexible schedules or are retired can definitely take advantage of the great deals.

If you have the flexibility to "drop and go" there is always some great value and unique cancellation hunts that come up every year after the shows..... I think spontaneously picking up one of those hunts would be a blast

I'm always booked nearly 2 years out for what is to me 1 big trip a year to guarantee what I really want.
I have some flexibility at work for in between things but haven't gotten anything I really wanted yet. Or could still afford anyway.

Regardless of whether it was hunting in Africa or another hunting worldwide, I have never booked anything more than 6 months in advance. The main reason was always the uncertainty of the future. I am not wrong because according to some outfitters, many hunts are booked years in advance, but many are also canceled again. In 2022 for example, the outfitter where I booked a buffalo hunting, had several hunts canceled so that I could still plan my hunting only 6 weeks in advance.

Basically, I will stick with this concept of planning, especially now that I am retired, but you should not always be too picky about the areas and be flexible, and perhaps you can get a really good last minute offer.

I've hunted frontier / wilderness areas of Africa exclusively. By some measures, many would say "a lot".

My most expensive and most disappointing hunts were pre-booked far in advance. Since those early days, I've done a lot of "end of season" hunts in October and November. I've had a lot of very good bargain hunts because the quota still remains, the booked hunters have all had their try, and my hunt is literally gravy money for the operator. Alternatively, I've also had some very good deals in February and March because the operators and locals are starving and they haven't had a drop of revenue in six months, so they are willing to make a pretty good deal.

Bottom line, booking more than a year out with a prescriptive list of animals and demanding a June-July-Safari is going to cost you a lot more.

All-In, in wilderness areas, the least I've ever spent on a hunt is $14,000 with tips/airfare/permits/etc. The most I've ever spent is $23,000. Hunts I typically do are 18-22 days at those prices and usually involved elephant, leopard, or buffalo along with the laundry list of plains game species endemic to the area.

Be less fussy, hunt better game more often. Pre-planning creates the illusion of control for an American. The average person thinks planning 12-36 months out is reducing risk of things going wrong when it actually amplifies them. 1.) You have no idea if hunting will be legal in the future, 2.) You don't know what the domestic situation will be. 3.) You don't know if the area will be poached out. 4.) You don't know if the operator will have quota. 5.) You don't know if the USFWS will ban import of X animal by those future dates. When operators book hunts (excluding on their ranches) that are way into the future, they are taking your money without much of a plan. When crap hits the fan, they find a new area, convince you to hunt different animals, or buy quota from another operator to make good on the deal they struck with you. Put plainly, you don't know what you're buying and the operator has no idea what they are selling when you book way into the future, it just ties up your capital.

I've hunted frontier / wilderness areas of Africa exclusively. By some measures, many would say "a lot".

My most expensive and most disappointing hunts were pre-booked far in advance. Since those early days, I've done a lot of "end of season" hunts in October and November. I've had a lot of very good bargain hunts because the quota still remains, the booked hunters have all had their try, and my hunt is literally gravy money for the operator. Alternatively, I've also had some very good deals in February and March because the operators and locals are starving and they haven't had a drop of revenue in six months, so they are willing to make a pretty good deal.

Bottom line, booking more than a year out with a prescriptive list of animals and demanding a June-July-Safari is going to cost you a lot more.

All-In, in wilderness areas, the least I've ever spent on a hunt is $14,000 with tips/airfare/permits/etc. The most I've ever spent is $23,000. Hunts I typically do are 18-22 days at those prices and usually involved elephant, leopard, or buffalo along with the laundry list of plains game species endemic to the area.

Be less fussy, hunt better game more often. Pre-planning creates the illusion of control for an American. The average person thinks planning 12-36 months out is reducing risk of things going wrong when it actually amplifies them. 1.) You have no idea if hunting will be legal in the future, 2.) You don't know what the domestic situation will be. 3.) You don't know if the area will be poached out. 4.) You don't know if the operator will have quota. 5.) You don't know if the USFWS will ban import of X animal by those future dates. When operators book hunts (excluding on their ranches) that are way into the future, they are taking your money without much of a plan. When crap hits the fan, they find a new area, convince you to hunt different animals, or buy quota from another operator to make good on the deal they struck with you. Put plainly, you don't know what you're buying and the operator has no idea what they are selling when you book way into the future, it just ties up your capital.

Some very good arguments!

I was always welcome for hunting in Burkina Faso, so that a buffalo hunt could even be planned 3 weeks in advance, only limited by flight availability and visa.

I wonder if the savings in low price cancellation hunts might be eaten up in higher priced last minute airfare?

I wonder if the savings in low price cancellation hunts might be eaten up in higher priced last minute airfare?

Maybe, but I find that airline tickets are their very cheapest about 3 weeks before departure as they desperately try to fill the plane. No bargains offered 12-18 months ahead of time because why would they, they have all the time in the world to adjust prices at the last minute to fill the last few seats after the planners pay full-freight.

I would imagine that you would contact any safari companies that you are willing to hunt with, let the know that you are flexible and like last minute deals, and to contact you if something opens up.

These price reduced last minute offers or cancellation hunts are often at the end not so cheap as they seem. Really very reduced good hunts are often initially very expensive hunts so that reduced they are still very expensive. Elephant hunts are good examples for this.

I'm a 6 months or less kind of guy and prefer 3-4 months out. For me, I've regretted a few of the multi-year wait hunts. I simply find that by the time that hunt arrives, I've lost some interest and would rather be hunting a different country, area, or species.

Kinda depends…..

I have never booked more than 5 mos out and have never paid for airfare in ”prime time” slots either.……I’ve also never had a cold morning on safari more then a light jacket and frankly the idea of having to be cold on a hunt is revolting to me…..so I find off season airfare is cheaper anyway and only interested in late season un used quota now.As far as airfare I paid no more in airfare in 2017 then I did in 2016 or again in 2021 with roughly 2 months out planning for another late season discount hunt.

In one case for an early hunt I booked a trip at a show and the outfitter was vacationing in the US after the show season and I was actually in SA by a day or two before he was back to start hunting.

Shortest overall, I emailed CMS around 10am EST while on coffee break and Buzz called me about 20 minutes later. By 4pm that day I had dates, airlines,hotel,guesthouse, PH selected, booked and done; 13 days later I was hunting.

Now I have a looser arrangement then most with employers and told them some point sept-oct I’m taking 2 weeks off when I want, and they are happy to accommodate me to keep my particular skill set around. So I sent a couple emails to already vetted outfits and asked for a call in the last couple hunts.

So are sept through November flights not booked over capacity like every other flight I’ve taken in the last 5 years. ?

Every flight I have been on is booked over capacity and is hoping people don’t show.

Or is that an advantage of fall hunts also. Planes having enough empty seats to get short notice deals. And the choice of where to sit.

I got lucky on my first safari and found a last minute off 3 months in advance in a prime area. My second safari was booked a year in advance and the outfitter had his concession
Kinda depends…..

I have never booked more than 5 mos out and have never paid for airfare in ”prime time” slots either.……I’ve also never had a cold morning on safari more then a light jacket and frankly the idea of having to be cold on a hunt is revolting to me…..so I find off season airfare is cheaper anyway and only interested in late season un used quota now.As far as airfare I paid no more in airfare in 2017 then I did in 2016 or again in 2021 with roughly 2 months out planning for another late season discount hunt.

In one case for an early hunt I booked a trip at a show and the outfitter was vacationing in the US after the show season and I was actually in SA by a day or two before he was back to start hunting.

Shortest overall, I emailed CMS around 10am EST while on coffee break and Buzz called me about 20 minutes later. By 4pm that day I had dates, airlines,hotel,guesthouse, PH selected, booked and done; 13 days later I was hunting.

Now I have a looser arrangement then most with employers and told them some point sept-oct I’m taking 2 weeks off when I want, and they are happy to accommodate me to keep my particular skill set around. So I sent a couple emails to already vetted outfits and asked for a call in the last couple hunts.
My first safari was in 2022 and booked 3 months in advance through CMS. They had an opening come available in their prime concession for 2 buff and I received 35-40% off the day rates if I remember correctly.

I go on multiple hunts per year. I like booking early a year to year and half out on most hunts. I like having something to look forward to that I know is what I want and researched thoroughly. I do fill in some hunts with short notice opportunities. Finding the right end of season hunt isn’t a guarantee and you need to be flexible on several factors. Both have their advantages. I disagree with some of the speculation about booking early above. If you go with an established outfitter they have long term leases and the concession areas they hold have known renewal dates, just ask. I’ve never lost a deposit even during Covid. Hunts were just rescheduled. If you choose outfitters who are actively improving their areas it’s highly unlikely the area will be poached out two years later, very possibly better than at booking. I’d research how far out you really need to book for where you want to hunt though. I’d also consider how financially stable and long established the outfitter is if you book a hunt far in advance. Many book way too far in advance and simply risk money that they didn’t need to put down for another 6 months or year for the same hunt. There are other hunts securing a proper area, dates, the PH and camp you want is worth an early booking. Lot of variables go into the decision.

One problem that I can see is if you find a discounted hunt on short notice you are liable to spend the savings on airfare.

One problem that I can see is if you find a discounted hunt on short notice you are liable to spend the savings on airfare.
+1. In 2022, I spent $700 more on airfare booking six months out versus if I had booked when the flights were first available. The plane was packed going over, so I think the days of finding a last minute airfare "deal" have diminished over the last several years.

With some of the deal posted on AH at times I wished I had not booked already.

But I usually try and book a year or two in advance. Gives me something to look forward to. Planning is part of the fun. Also can get everything in order with days off, flights booked when a deal is found etc. I also book in advance because usually looking for specific animals that may be on quota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abel87507

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.