Drink of Choice in Africa

I have been 5 times in South Africa (4 months together)'and once in Kenya. Kenya is easy, thats Tusker beer!

Since i have lived with average south africans everytime. Which i proudly now call my second family:) i have tried most types of drinks. Worst is Witblietz, tastes like shit and the babalas is from another world.

For me klippies and coke and castle is bread and butter:) also one shot is a must, Springbuck. Mix between amarula "classic" and creme de mente. Not strong, quite smooth:)

If you want the finer things, food and cuisine in RSA is workd class. Cape Town and the wine districts are amazing, both quality and wine. I can't imagine going to CT without visiting La Colombe in Constantia. Amazing food and wine. Once scored the 10th best restaurant in the world. Beautiful place. They also have the best dessert wine in the world. Vin de Constance, Napoleons favourite:)

Wish i was going soon, miss the smells, people and nature:)

When the stuff comes in a bottle wrapped in barbed wire... that should be a sign!!!
Mampoer_236_300_80auto_s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Windhoek Lager or Castle suits me just fine. Sometimes though an alcoholic drink isn't appropriate and that's when I say, "I'll have a Swill."

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

for beer mossi for sure, if not castle lite, in stubbies
if fishing , bloody marrys for breakfast, boat rules
G&Ts for sundowners
asara or fat bastard, cab sav with dinner, and while afterwards
jasmmisons and water is always good
armarula on ice is another favourite

wow how favourite drinks change , a year ago I only drank beer and bourbon

yeah i wonder who turned you into a pisshead ?...........and it wasnt me for everyones information!!! :E Rofl:

Allot of my clients enjoy Amarula with crushed ice... It tastes great after a long day of hunting.

Brandy and Coke is the choice of many PHs. South African brandy is much different from French. It tastes great to us!

Brandy and coke is called Mothers Milk in RSA

among other cold ones i like simba from DRC, it sometimes comes over the border.....the fact it is in 730ml bottles helps :E Big Grin:
View attachment 153091

Simba was the upper end beer when I was working in the DRC ... we had to drink Primus most of the time, now that's a beer you really had to be thirsty for:sick:

Last edited:
cane spirit and coke = spook and diesel :D Cool Drink:

Thanks for enlightening me- I didn't realize that's what it was referring to.

I thought Windhoek was Pretty tasty after a long day, my PH was a Gin and Tonic man, and the African Wines we had at dinner were very good

I know someone has already said this, but you don't get more boer thank klippies and coke. Three ships whiskey (when you can't find anything else). Some of the hest wine in the world is cape wine. Can't go wrong with a tafel beer and if you know where to look, you can find some pretty unbelievable craft beers (more than happy to pass on a students wisdom ad far as where to get hammered and what to get hammered on).

Brandy and coke is called Mothers Milk in RSA

On my recent hunt, my PH's father drank Brandy and Tab. So would this be called Diet Mothers Milk?

He made one for me on my birthday, it was ok but I'm a beer drinker. I didn't know Tab was even still around, hadn't seen it for years.

While on the subject of drink names, everyone knows that Vodka and orange juice is called a Screwdriver.

So what's a Vodka and prune juice called? A Piledriver :E Happy:

On my recent hunt, my PH's father drank Brandy and Tab. So would this be called Diet Mothers Milk?

He made one for me on my birthday, it was ok but I'm a beer drinker. I didn't know Tab was even still around, hadn't seen it for years.

While on the subject of drink names, everyone knows that Vodka and orange juice is called a Screwdriver.

So what's a Vodka and prune juice called? A Piledriver :E Happy:

I suspect that Tab might still be available in the USA but, now only in stores that sell Auto Parts.

(Look for it on the display/shelf, next to other similar products, such as brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, radiator flush, etc.)

Last edited:
Gin and dry lemon is one of my favorites, really hard to find the dry lemon in Canada!
Buddy, no worries in Canada! Next time you are down my way I will hook you up with a case or two of South African sourced dry lemon! The place does good biltong too BTW :) we here in my home keep the peace with G&T and look to do the same in South Africa (y)

Pheroze, I will definitely take you up on that :) You must be counting the days ... about a month for me give or take!

Pheroze, I will definitely take you up on that :) You must be counting the days ... about a month for me give or take!

The excitement is certainly building! I fear that Marius will need a well earned break once we leave lol

Love the Amarula on ice! Also, can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Tafel lager yet. I really like that stuff.

Love the Amarula on ice! Also, can't believe someone hasn't mentioned Tafel lager yet. I really like that stuff.

I did in first post! Great stuff on a hot day in the Namib Desert!

Oh......good call then! Sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross