Double rifle regulation issue

My apologies for the rather drab photo of the rifle as the combination of surroundings and lighting do not do it justice; it actually has attractive metal and exhibition grade wood. Pic taken when it arrived in full length metal case:

Attachments

• 54676_600x400.jpg
    54676_600x400.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 171
Things that came up in this thread that are important diagnostic points:

1.) the pic looks like the rear sight witness Mark is off
2.) you also said it’s loose.
3.) hornady changed bullets while calling them dgx
4.) you may have a different load recipe from hornady
5.) they might have regulated with custom loads using dgx bullets
6.) it could be a 450/400 3-1/4” chamber
7.) how you hold the gun on sticks could alter regulation
8.) excessive or insufficient pressure on the forend can change point of aim
9.) a recoil pad was changed to a significantly longer/shorter heavier/lighter one

this clearly looks like loose sight issues, but just rattling off some of the scenarios we’d check to troubleshoot.

Allright, so I went back to the range and I put some shots through her. Here are the results.
20200927_112918.jpg
20200927_113337.jpg
20200927_114244.jpg
20200927_114509.jpg

I know it's shooting the right, which I think I can fix. All of those were at 50 yards except the last one when I got frustrated and moved it to 25 yards. I also calmed down, took my time etc so that might have something to do with it. I also replaced the 1/2 inch butt pad with a 1 inch butt pad and let me tell you it's a dream to shoot!

Allright, so I went back to the range and I put some shots through her. Here are the results. View attachment 370002View attachment 370003View attachment 370004View attachment 370005

I know it's shooting the right, which I think I can fix. All of those were at 50 yards except the last one when I got frustrated and moved it to 25 yards. I also calmed down, took my time etc so that might have something to do with it. I also replaced the 1/2 inch butt pad with a 1 inch butt pad and let me tell you it's a dream to shoot!
Allright, so I went back to the range and I put some shots through her. Here are the results. View attachment 370002View attachment 370003View attachment 370004View attachment 370005

I have experienced problems with two new DR's that were regulated with Hornady ammo,a Heym 450-400 & a Westley Richards 470NE,this is what I discovered,Hornady initially used any which powder to attain a specific speed for a caliber,when your rifle was regulated? it was probably with a batch of powder different than the batch that you are shooting now,hopefully I am not confusing anyone here,different powders will shoot differently in a DR,both guns in this case shot ok with different batches of ammo,reloading for both guns with loads obtained from Hornady also fixed the problem.

I have experienced problems with two new DR's that were regulated with Hornady ammo,a Heym 450-400 & a Westley Richards 470NE,this is what I discovered,Hornady initially used any which powder to attain a specific speed for a caliber,when your rifle was regulated? it was probably with a batch of powder different than the batch that you are shooting now,hopefully I am not confusing anyone here,different powders will shoot differently in a DR,both guns in this case shot ok with different batches of ammo,reloading for both guns with loads obtained from Hornady also fixed the problem.

Yea, I do wonder. It's a brand new rifle, I'm the first owner so I think it should have been regulated with the newer ammo.

The first thing you need to do with a double rifle is understand that the gun will only shoot as well as the worst barrel shoots!!!. So fire a 4 shot 2x2 group with each barrel, your goal should be to duplicate the worst barrel as a ruld..If as your post indicates your gun is shooting 6 to 8 inch groups right left, right left..you need to send it off to be re-regulated in that case, as that is a lot of inaccuracy in any rifle...I wouldl expect my double to shoot at least 2 inch groups at 75 yards, the old "minute of grapefruit" is just BS...one might need to shoot something big and mean in the eyeball or ear hole.

First are you shooting off a bench rest? and you need to be doing that..Is the recoil causing you to flinch, in other words we must determine if it s you or the gun..If its the gun, Then by adjusting the powder charge a grain or two at a time you many be able to close the group up so shoot the worst barrel. and at this point you can determine if more powder moves bullet impact to the left or right. u
Usually less will move it to the right or visa versa in rare cases, your playing with barrel vibes..Once you get the rifle grouping then its time TO SIGHT IT IN, don't get regulation confused with sighting in, that is two different processes..The world of the double gun has nothing to do with pops mod 94 or Jack Oconners .270, its a whole nuther nut to crack..

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing you need to do with a double rifle is understand that the gun will only shoot as well as the worst barrel shoots!!!. So fire a 4 shot 2x2 group with each barrel, your goal should be to duplicate the worst barrel as a ruld..If as your post indicates your gun is shooting 6 to 8 inch groups right left, right left..you need to send it off to be re-regulated in that case, as that is a lot of inaccuracy in any rifle...I wouldl expect my double to shoot at least 2 inch groups at 75 yards, the old "minute of grapefruit" is just BS...one might need to shoot something big and mean in the eyeball or ear hole.

First are you shooting off a bench rest? and you need to be doing that..Is the recoil causing you to flinch, in other words we must determine if it s you or the gun..If its the gun, Then by adjusting the powder charge a grain or two at a time you many be able to close the group up so shoot the worst barrel. and at this point you can determine if more powder moves bullet impact to the left or right. u
Usually less will move it to the right or visa versa in rare cases, your playing with barrel vibes..Once you get the rifle grouping then its time TO SIGHT IT IN, don't get regulation confused with sighting in, that is two different processes..The world of the double gun has nothing to do with pops mod 94 or Jack Oconners .270, its a whole nuther nut to crack..

So I ended up taking the rifle out to the field to test the "worst barrel" and your right,t he first barrel is shooting just a little to the right, the left barrel is shooting about 4 inches low. I've ended up sending it back for re-regulation because at that point I think it's beyond the power of a change in powder to cure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg