Reviews
Reaction score
Website
riflepermits.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
full

The law regarding bringing your rifles into South Africa is very clear. Section 73 of the South African Firearms Control Act states that no person may import into or take in-transit through South Africa any firearms or ammunition without a temporary import or in-transit permit.

TRAVELLING TIP: Hunters who did not apply for the pre-approved temporary import permits for their rifles coming into South Africa, need to apply for the necessary permit on arrival at the airport.

It is very important that you have a temporary export permit or export letter from your country of origin, or any official document permitting you to temporarily export your rifles from your country of origin. For US hunters, the customs form CBP4457 will be sufficient.

For those wanting to bring their rifles into South Africa for hunting purposes, it is important to know that a temporary import permit will only be issued at the port of entry to the following people:

1. A foreign visitor for the purpose of hunting.
2. A foreign visitor to display the firearm and ammunition at a trade show or collections show or to display firearms and ammunition at a sports or hunting trade show.
3. An official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor so designated by the SA Department of Foreign Affairs.
4. A foreign law enforcement officer entering the Republic of South Africa on an officially approved policing assignment.
5. A foreign visitor to participate in a competitive sports shooting event, organised by recognised business, hunting, sport-shooting or collectors organisation.
6. The applicant is 21 years of age and older.
7. The applicant’s rifles are not semi-automatic or fully automatic of action or hand carbines.

Has this changed in the last year?
On my last trip my rifle was checked through to my destination of Windhoek from Heathrow with South African Airways and I did not have to do any paperwork during my transit in Johannesburg.
I obviously had my export paperwork and licence but there was no requirement to apply for an in transit permit.

Has this changed in the last year?
On my last trip my rifle was checked through to my destination of Windhoek from Heathrow with South African Airways and I did not have to do any paperwork during my transit in Johannesburg.
I obviously had my export paperwork and licence but there was no requirement to apply for an in transit permit.

Interesting. I hope @riflepermits.com will respond. I thought you were still required to have a permit!

No, I checked my rifle in at Heathrow and confirmed it was checked through to destination Windhoek and there would be no requirement to declare it at OR Tambo because it would be in transit with South African Airways who I flew with all the way.

Just to bring this one back to the fore, I recently (yesterday) returned to the UK from Namibia.
I boarded at London Heathrow with one rifle case containing a rifle and shotgun and one ammunition case.
I flew to Johannesburg and then on to Windhoek and made the same journey in reverse on my return.
My firearms and ammunition stayed in transit in South Africa and I did not have to fill out any additional paperwork or obtain any additional permits other than what Border Control in the UK had given me.
I flew with South African Airways for the entirety of my journey and my luggage was handled by them.
It is worth noting that I was not charged for carrying firearms and nor was any excess baggage charge levied against me for taking this excess baggage.
The whole process was incredibly simple and with minimum paperwork.

If in transit on an airline and bags checked through there is no permit. “In transit” here would mean something different than on an airline.

Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg