Do not buy from Optics Planet!

Just a head's up that my PH ordered a Vortex scope from Optics Planet and was going to have it shipped to me. I was going to bring it to him this Saturday as I fly to South Africa for my plains game safari. He used his office address in Texas as the purchaser and paid for two-day shipping to me in SC. The scope has not arrived and I called Optics Planet to check on the status. They told me the order was cancelled. When I asked who cancelled it, they stated that it was cancelled by their internal risk management team.

Did they send the PH an email asking for any additional information they might need to "feel better" about the sale?

No

Did they send the PH an email letting him know that the scope would not be coming?

No

They simply cancelled the sale and left him to wonder why it hadn't shown up.

There's a lot of retailers who will sell you optics. I recommend using anyone other than Optics Planet.
So sorry to hear this. There is so much internet and cc fraud this comes as no surprise. you can not, without some kind of prior authorization, place an order in one country and have it delivered to another. I would wager that had you placed this order with someone else it would have ended in the same result.
I have had excellent luck with optics planet. They even give you points for your purchases that you can use.
Again sorry for your troubles. Have a great safari.
Philip

Every time I see these things I make a small mental note to self. I have learned to vote with my feet and that includes word of mouth promotion. A parallel would be all the companies who are tripping over their own feet trying to out woke each other.

Hi Guys I’ve not read all of the above thread. But I’m coming over in August to have a look at your big ditch thingy. Question what about click and collect?
Was thinking about buying a Leupold Pro Guide 10x42 from Phoenix Bass pro.
Any chance this would rase a flag?

Should be fine. If you’re concerned, use cash.

I use B&H Photo for most of my optic needs. They've great services, good prices, wide selection and will, a lot of times, throw something extra in the box on big orders.

I have bought a few high end scopes from them in the fast but i have been seeing too many negative remarks about them lately.

They seem to be the easiest supplier for where I’m flying in and out of. Unless someone can point me to a better option in Phoenix

Optics Planet has a bad reputation(well deserved IMO and experience), for showing an item as being in stock and after it is purchased, sending the buyer and Email stating the item is backordered and will be shipped at a later date. The Email is sent after the credit card is dinged and the estimated shipping date can be pretty far out. You then must jump through hoops to get a refund. Don’t know if Optics Planet still does this because I haven’t purchased from them in a long time due to the aforementioned practice, and yes it happened to me on multiple occasions. I can’t fault them though for canceling the order that’s the subject of this thread, though I do fault them big time for not sending notification of the cancellation.

Ordered from them once and learned my lesson. Canceled their email flyers and haven't sent them a penny since. Brownells bit me with a 12 days of Christmas sale event when I bought a sale item one day that was further reduced the next day. An email to them was ignored. Going on 12 years without doing business with them.
Brownells has a good reputation, I’ve never had an issue with them. I believe in giving a company one mulligan unless the wrong is egregious and is not fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyLedger

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.