Disappointed In My New 404 Jeffery

That’s the truth though. It’s miserable to sit beside.
A friend has a .300WM with a break. It recoils like a .243 but rattles the corrugated steel roof over the benches at the range. Really nasty! I think the noise is worse with the higher velocity cartridges?

A friend has a .300WM with a break. It recoils like a .243 but rattles the corrugated steel roof over the benches at the range. Really nasty! I think the noise is worse with the higher velocity cartridges?
I meant BRAKE!

Just curious as to what type of recoil pad is on it? As for the muzzle break, although I don’t own one, they’re good for clearing out the benches next to you when at the range, and then take it off when hunting?
BRAKE!

Just put 5 rounds down range with my 500 Jeffery and your 404 won't kick at all :)
LOL... that was my exact training for about 8 years..!!

My second 500Jeffery about 7 years ago weighed just over 9lb and kicked sharp as hell... I was about to weight it up to 10lb or so, when a very nice 10,4lb engraved onec came along, lovelier... but I have shyed away form heavy carry, and recoil, needed the money, sold it.... now back to 416s which do the job fantastic.. and 404s coming. But something about the barrels of 500 J and 500 NE... :)

Last edited:
That’s a nice looking product. I’ve got a couple of the beartooth products neoprene sleeve type cheek risers. They’re effective but clumsy. Thanks for sharing the link.
Someone else posted it a year or so ago, so I can't take original credit.

Good thing Stoppelman’s probably still asleep and didn’t see this or I’d catch hell!
Oh I saw it allright, but you corrected in time, but lets watch it in the future fella!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh I saw it allright, but you corrected in time, but lets watch it in the future fella!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Uh oh! I've awakened the sleeping grammar/spelling correcting giant! Ha! Ha!

I agree with all the others...stock fit, add weight and recoil pad.

The only thing I would mention about adding weight is make it temporary.
In the sense that you can remove it at a later date if you so desire.
As you become more accustom to shooting the rifle, you may wish to lighten it.
This could also make it easier to carry on long trekking hunts.

I agree with all the others...stock fit, add weight and recoil pad.

The only thing I would mention about adding weight is make it temporary.
In the sense that you can remove it at a later date if you so desire.
As you become more accustom to shooting the rifle, you may wish to lighten it.
This could also make it easier to carry on long trekking hunts.

Screw in recoil reducer in the butt works well, though it can make the rifle a bit unbalanced. If set up correctly you can remove it in a couple of minutes. I have one for my R8 that I can install or take out at will although I don’t use it as 375H&H doesn’t need it.

When choosing recoil reducers keep in mind mercury is not allowed for air travel. It reacts with aluminium.

Screw in recoil reducer in the butt works well, though it can make the rifle a bit unbalanced. If set up correctly you can remove it in a couple of minutes. I have one for my R8 that I can install or take out at will although I don’t use it as 375H&H doesn’t need it.

When choosing recoil reducers keep in mind mercury is not allowed for air travel. It reacts with aluminium.
My wife and I both have R8's with 22mm barrels and kickstops.
The kickstop really does balance our rifles well.
Without it the 22mm barrel make the rifle very front heavy.

And to be honest, our rifles are wicked heavy compared to most.
We will suffer the weight of heavy rifles for less felt recoil.
There is no free lunch.

The option to pull the kickstop out is awesome.
However I'd probably go with a whole new R8 stock for a lightweight rig.

There is no free lunch.

I spoke to a local smith last night and we went over my options. He wants the look at the rifle and wood before we add anything.

I expressed my concern for a unbalanced rifle just like you mentioned. Also downloaded templates for limbsaver recoil pad.

Honestly, I’d like to have the rifle weigh 10 lbs plus the optic.

There is no free lunch.

My R8 is the alloy receiver version with 17mm barrels so it’s not nose heavy like a 22mm rifle would be. With the recoil reducer in, it gets a little butt heavy but not terribly so, still, for my calibres (223, 308 & 375) I rather a lighter rifle. The steel alloy R8s were obviously designed with heavy recoiling calibres in mind and as such are set up properly weight balanced with reducers installed from the factory.

I think you have received all of the suggestions that you need. I was going to mention the 300 grain loading for practice. There is a difference in recoil and might be great for practice. I would suggest that you put lead in the butt and a suppressor where the ear drum splitter goes. The only problem it would not be allowed into the country!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg