Dirty, dirty, dirty...

Pluff mud? That's a Low Country word!

Wouldn’t waist my time breaking in a Tikka. I understand their barrels are polished at the factory same as Sako’s. Both come off the same production line and equipment. At least that’s what some folks who work for Beretta tell me.
Both of mine didn’t require any breakin.

Wouldn’t waist my time breaking in a Tikka. I understand their barrels are polished at the factory same as Sako’s. Both come off the same production line and equipment. At least that’s what some folks who work for Beretta tell me.
Both of mine didn’t require any breakin.

Maybe I’m wasting my time, but time wasted shooting ain’t that bad. I did read somewhere that there is a point at which polish becomes counterproductive. Apparently past a certain level of polish (I want to say 400 grit but don’t quote me) bores start fouling faster.

Dirty Russian ammo.

Today I finally made it out to shoot my new foul weather rifle. I bought a Tikka T3 stainless light to use in rainy weather.

I’ve never taken the time to break in a barrel before but decided I’d give it a try this time. I ordered a couple of boxes of cheap Russian ammo and some JB Bore Paste. I followed the JB instructions to polish the bore then took it out to shoot.

The supposed break-in procedure is to clean after every round for ten rounds, then after every three rounds for twenty if I’m not mistaken. I use Pro-Shot copper and powder solvent, brush, patch, Balistol, patch. This makes for a long slow day of cleaning.

I got everything set up and ready to go. After the first shot the first patch looked like the fine grey pluff mud. I thought for a moment I had left the bore paste in the barrel it was so dirty.

Shot after shot, patch after patch all afternoon with muddy powder residue. It was not especially difficult to remove and there wasn’t much copper fouling but I’ve never seen such dirty ammunition.

View attachment 335789

Here are some of the patches ranging from grey mud to “almost got it clean.” Have any of you used Barnaul ammunition before? Have you seen any particular powder foul this badly?
Standard Velocity
Winchester 296 and 748 are dirty powders as well. I have never broken in a barrel in my life. Just shot them and cleaned after a shoot.never had a problem.
Now days I use cfe223 and my son's 222 rem hasn't been cleaned in 300 rounds a mind still shoots half to three quarters of an inch at 100 all day.
Don't get me wrong a lot of people run their barrels in and good on them if they find it works. Modern stainless barrels one my rifles are hand lapped so should be smooth to start with. To me every shot I put down the barrel running it in is one less I can shoot at game and the sooner I have to replace the barrel.
This response will get me in a bit of doggy do-do but that's fine it is only my opinion .
20200314_102751.jpg
200 yard group out of my 25. The barrel is a llijla match grade stainless. Never run in, sighted in and shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a week or two there won't even be tracer or all corrosive ammo left and then those who want to throw the badmouth on the "Dirty, Dirty, Dirty" Russian or Chinese ammo will be falling all over themselves to buy enough rounds to take on and win a war against any number of small Latin American countries.

...........and the price........oh my........ the price :A Banana:

Standard Velocity
Winchester 296 and 748 are dirty powders as well. I have never broken in a barrel in my life. Just shot them and cleaned after a shoot.never had a problem.
Now days I use cfe223 and my son's 222 rem hasn't been cleaned in 300 rounds a mind still shoots half to three quarters of an inch at 100 all day.
Don't get me wrong a lot of people run their barrels in and good on them if they find it works. Modern stainless barrels one my rifles are hand lapped so should be smooth to start with. To me every shot I put down the barrel running it in is one less I can shoot at game and the sooner I have to replace the barrel.
This response will get me in a bit of doggy do-do but that's fine it is only my opinion .
View attachment 338651 200 yard group out of my 25. The barrel is a llijla match grade stainless. Never run in, sighted in and shot.

Strangely enough I took a box of the 165 grain from the same brand out this week and it was pretty clean. The Federal, Winchester and Remington were about the same in the same barrel.

Not sold on breaking in barrels but it was an interesting exercise. Probably not a bad idea to stay away from the super cheap ammo. Moderately cheap ammo isn’t (normally) much more. We’ll see in the coming weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois