AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi folks,

I’m currently looking at ways of developing a low cost plinking load for my .404 Jeffery.

This probably means going with cast bullets. Unfortunately the chances of me ever having a location to cast my own are rather slim so it looks like resizing bullets is the way forward. (I also can't seem to find anyone willing to cast bullets for me in such an odd

My current plan is to resize .430 commercially available cast lead bullets down to .424 and start with this 300gr which I have 100 on order:

C0ZBuySl.jpg

I use .44 cal bullets from this maker for my 44 Mag lever action in 240gr RNFP and 255gr SWCGC with some decent success.

Anyway, I managed to get a .427” and a .424” for sizing down the .430” as cast bullets and I try with the 240gr and 255gr bullets. Sample of 1 so don’t so more experimentation needed but so far signs are good. These are 2 stage resized bullets:

EHtkVt3l.jpg

Both seem to have some lube left, something of a crimping groove and lengthened a bit over 0.2mm (0.008”) so that bodes well (I think though I would welcome comments).

Next stage / decisions are:
  • decide whether to give a bit of extra lube with Liquid Alox or go the whole hog and try and home powder coat
  • See if the it is possible to get a gas check onto that 300gr Shell House Bullet
Powder choice is likely to be Reload Swiss RS14 (European Trail Boss equivalent, odd shape powder designed to fill case without too much pressure).

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike

As you may know, I was given some 400 grain cast and powder coated bullets for 404J practice rounds by a member here. These I loaded with 37 grains of Accurate 5744. Velocity was about 1800 fps and feeding and accuracy was very good - fairly close to my hunting loads, which data you have. These bullets have gas checks and I believe they were 44 caliber. You need to have a recess at the base for the gas check.

I have no experience with Trailboss or lighter bullets and would like to hear how you project progresses. Good luck.

Hi Mike,

Yep we get a version of 5477 here. It's a Lovex powder (Think sold as Shooters World in the US).

I will keep people appraised of my progress with the lighter bullets. Might have found an option of getting 404 Jeff bullets cast here but it isn't certain yet.

What I would love to be able to get something like is Bengal Bullets:

1669387159011.png

Scrummy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 5.20.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 5.20.09 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Mike

I was not aware of Bengal Bullets! I searched high and low for cast bullets for my 404J and never found a commercial source. Thanks.

Dang! Looking at the 404J, it is a prime candidate for cast bullet plinking loads. So frustrating because several suitable molds are available here in US. Accurate molds lists some excellent candidates for the 404J in their catalogue I think on pg 15. Too bad also so few cast their own. Bullet casting is not hard to do- requires some basic, simple tools and understanding of the process.

Anyway, one thing would be to slug your bore and measure the slug to get groove diameter of the bore. Then try to get cast bullets that are same as groove diameter up to about .001-2” larger than groove diameter.

For plinking loads up tp maybe 1200 fps with powders like 5744, gas checked bullets, sized correctly, of about 12BHN hardness (fairly soft) lubed with soft BP type lube… all combine to make for accurate, low recoiling loads. With the right combinations- no leading of bore and ease of cleaning with simple swab of basic solvent like Hoppes 9.

Anyway good luck in the search

Here’s a pic of one of catalogued Accurate Mold’s gas checked bullets I’d consider for the 404J… if I had a 404J :)

6793B1CC-83A7-409F-AFA7-E2647357F3FA.png

Last edited:
Cast bullets can be very accurate and great plinking or even hunting bullets. I was heavily involved in cast bullet use for some years and was in contact with a very accomplished group like minded men.
One of the cartridges I cast for was the 404 Jeffery and had a mold made to suit my rifle and depending on alloy used cast between 365 and 380 grain.
I had the mold made to have the bore riding nose at bore dia +.0005 and the bands made to groove dia +.0015 to allow for sizing to +.001and used a 44 mag gas check for the +2000fps loads but for all lower velocity load made my own alloy checks.
350gn GC 404.jpg

100 yd aperture sighted accuracy load was 63gr ADI 2209-H4350 for 1900fps.
002.JPG

Higher velocity load was still hunting accurate with the 74gn ADI 2208-Varget load giving 2363fps while 87gn ADI 2209-H4350 gave 2416fps for about the same accuracy.
011.JPG

A very good 1400fps plinking load at 1400fps with 20gn Red Dot with 50/50 WW/Pb and alloy GC was great on goats and killed quite a few on one trip where we got onto a mob in a tight basin with good shooting possy.

@Nevada Mike if you decide to order some of the Bengal's let me know and I will go in with you and combine an order.
Looking forward to reading everyones testing of cast bullets.

@Nevada Mike if you decide to order some of the Bengal's let me know and I will go in with you and combine an order.
Looking forward to reading everyones testing of cast bullets.
Will do, Dave.
I'm wondering about getting some over to the UK but not sure how possible.

Best wishes,

Mike
Maybe by mail, Mike? Or perhaps His Majesty's postal service won't handle ANYTHING firearms related?

Dang! Looking at the 404J, it is a prime candidate for cast bullet plinking loads. So frustrating because several suitable molds are available here in US. Accurate molds lists some excellent candidates for the 404J in their catalogue I think on pg 15. Too bad also so few cast their own. Bullet casting is not hard to do- requires some basic, simple tools and understanding of the process.

Anyway, one thing would be to slug your bore and measure the slug to get groove diameter of the bore. Then try to get cast bullets that are same as groove diameter up to about .001-2” larger than groove diameter.

For plinking loads up tp maybe 1200 fps with powders like 5744, gas checked bullets, sized correctly, of about 12BHN hardness (fairly soft) lubed with soft BP type lube… all combine to make for accurate, low recoiling loads. With the right combinations- no leading of bore and ease of cleaning with simple swab of basic solvent like Hoppes 9.

Anyway good luck in the search

Here’s a pic of one of catalogued Accurate Mold’s gas checked bullets I’d consider for the 404J… if I had a 404J :)

View attachment 502409
fourfive8 is correct! Casting bullets is not hard, I’ve cast a lot of pistol bullets on a Coleman two burner camp stove. A mold, sizing method, & bullet lube, can put you in business. Cast in a well ventilated area to avoid breathing fumes.

If using cast bullets that are designed for .44 Spl & Mag, they are .430"; you may look for bullets designed for the .44/40. they are .427" so there is a little less swaging to be done getting them down to .424".

If using cast bullets that are designed for .44 Spl & Mag, they are .430"; you may look for bullets designed for the .44/40. they are .427" so there is a little less swaging to be done getting them down to .424".

I did wonder about that but can only get ~200gr here.

Scrummy

I know this tread is about 404 Jeffery loads but I'm looking to develop a plinking load for 416 Rigby and 416 Rem Mag. Would using large rifle primer instead of magnums, for plinking would be okay? I have lots of 1544 use up.

I know this tread is about 404 Jeffery loads but I'm looking to develop a plinking load for 416 Rigby and 416 Rem Mag. Would using large rifle primer instead of magnums, for plinking would be okay? I have lots of 1544 use up.
I don't know 1544 - perhaps you mean Accurate 5744? If that is the case you can use a standard LR primer, which should give you decent ignition.

The hotter/larger flame of the magnum primers is needed with 1. powders that have heavy deterent coating, 2. large granular size and 3. large powder charges. If the powder/charge you are using does not involve these characteristics, then standard primers should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarriDadso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.