Detachable rings

I have QDs on most of my rifles but most are Leupolds even on my heavy calibers and never a problem
fullsizeoutput_ab1.jpeg

I really like the Alaska Arms detachable rings. They return to zero nicely. The fellow who owns the shop is a very nice guy to chat with.
+1

Thanks guys. I figured they must be really accurate with as many of you using them.

We do it every range session for our last 3 shots. Knowing your equipment is one of the keys to success. Two is one, one is none. I also have the scope removed for cleaning to prevent any chemicals from coming in contact with the scope coatings.
You're the man! I still am uncertain of the scenario hunting where it would be necessary to remove the scope asap.

I really like the Alaska Arms detachable rings. They return to zero nicely. The fellow who owns the shop is a very nice guy to chat with.
Those are stout and the only one I might trust again someday. They are not made for that many rifles makes however.

You're the man! I still am uncertain of the scenario hunting where it would be necessary to remove the scope asap.

I have been in that situation twice on DG hunts. My irons are always sighted in and I do practice with them. There are two things to think about in close quarters, sight picture and gun dynamics. IMO a 1x scope and a ghost ring are roughly equal in target acquisition with the edge going to the scope. However, an unscoped, properly fitted rifle handles more like a shotgun. For me, the unscoped rifle is faster.

The irons can potentially be backup to a damaged scope, but in all honesty, todays scopes are so good, it’s largely an academic discussion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.36.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.36.01 AM.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.36.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.36.02 AM.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 45
I have been in that situation twice on DG hunts. My irons are always sighted in and I do practice with them. There are two things to think about in close quarters, sight picture and gun dynamics. IMO a 1x scope and a ghost ring are roughly equal in target acquisition with the edge going to the scope. However, an unscoped, properly fitted rifle handles more like a shotgun. For me, the unscoped rifle is faster.

The irons can potentially be backup to a damaged scope, but in all honesty, todays scopes are so good, it’s largely an academic discussion.
Please explain. How were you in a hunting scenario and had to take the scope off while on the stalk?

I understand what @WAB means. Personally , I like iron sight up close, because if your rifle fits you, you just put the front sight it and shoot. The scope hinders looking over the barrel, just like it would on a duck gun. Because in both situations, your not really aiming, just shooting.

Please explain. How were you in a hunting scenario and had to take the scope off while on the stalk?

They were wounded buffalo scenarios.

I have Alaska Arms rings on my Heym 416 Rigby and they absolutely go back to Zero. I have two different scopes, one low and one medium power variable of the same make; pre sighted in in Alaska Arms rings and I can quickly change scopes if longer shots (Plains game.) are anticipated. Just as note, the Heym Martini Express uses two CZ550 front rings which Alaska Arms is happy to supply. The Alaskan Arms CZ550 rear ring has the locating arm as noted in a previous response.

Fellow Hunters,

During a December deer hunt on Kodiak Island, Alaska, I stepped on a large surface root, that was concealed under the snow, belonging to a spruce tree that I was passing by.
My foot slipped sideways and after a couple of never before seen dance steps, I fell face forward, bashing my scope hard enough to bend it well.

My scope was a 6x Leupold and it was in Ruger rings, atop an old Ruger Model 77, in caliber .270 Winchester.
This was in 1985 or thereabouts, during early to mid 1980’s anyway.

And so being in the folly of my youth, it was one of those silly, incomplete looking rifles, with a slick barrel, no iron sights on it.
Anyway, there I sat, a longass hike through the mountains from camp with, in the event of spotting a deer, no way to be sure of hitting it in a vital spot.
From that day forward, I have not and will not ever own a rifle without iron sights on it.

After this long rant, perhaps it’s redundant to say that, if I had iron sights on that now long gone .270, and my scope in lever rings then, upon bending said scope, it would’ve been child’s play to pop it free, drop it into my back pack and continue hunting.

Iron sights, don’t leave home without them.
And best quality, quick detachable scope rings are worth the extra money.
Otherwise, if a scope gets ruined, far from camp, one must carry a proper tool in his hunting kit to remove it and clear the way for then using the iron sights.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Or just carry a second, backup, scope on Talley QD rings?

I have Warne rings and they work great.
But here’s one for you all. The proper way to mount Warne rings on a new installation is to set them on the bases alone, push the ring forward towards the muzzle holding pressure while you tighten them to the base, then mount the scope in the rings.Then each time you put the scope back on you hold that forward pressure while tightening it down. Using that same method, I have 2 scopes and a red dot that all return to zero just as well that are all standard rings on standard slotted Weaver style bases and I mean “ZERO” not just close, but like you never removed it in the first place. I will still opt for the QD type for ease of not having tools but I switch from standard scope to my night scope and don’t even check it anymore before going out.

Last edited:
Ah, now we are getting into story telling.

I like my iron sights. I was once really good with iron sights. But anno domini, and all that. Now I am only marginal. But within 75 yards or so, can still play.

As I said, I do like my Dentler mount. I really like that I have several scopes for that rifle (different courses, different horses, and all that...) and they just... work. The Basis model is all you need, if you have several scopes and only one rifle. Here's the kicker: Have more than one rifle? Use the Vario mount, and you BZO the mount, not touching the scope settings. Now, that one (or many) scope(s) stays BZOed no matter which rifle you use.

But, for real scope or sights use, I do like my Viennese Springer mount on my Mannlicher. Look low, there's the iron. A bit higher, there's the scope. Whichever you like. Not the right stock weld, you say? Well, adjust the scope to your stock weld. Use the ugly Monte Carlo stock, if you feel the need. Just be consistent. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

And what, on any odd day, could be better than just shooting an old Mannlicher?

I've got Leupold QRs (with the lever on the bases) they've given good repeatability.

I grew up on iron sights so I will have the quick detachable on my rifles (that have irons).

I will say on the Warnes, you have to be careful when you take them off because the stainless insert at the bottom can and will fall out if you unscrew it too much. This is not one you want to take off in the field imo

I use Talley detachables on both CZs , 416 Rigby & 375 H&H without a problem. They latch right in and stay. If there’s a scope problem , just switch using an empty shell casing to tighten or loosen.

Talley, Alaska, Warne (steel)-All very good. The Talleys have a square, precise fit sort of recoil lug that fits directly into the bases. It's impossible to have any "slop" upon re-assembly (why they are both accurate and repeatable). But, the others are also fine (and even Leupold has begun to make what i consider copies of the Warnes.) I once acquired a rifle with the old Leupold cam-locked post QD mounts and thought the levers were way too easy to unlock (so I gave them away!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg