Detachable rings

publius

AH member
Reaction score
It looks like a fair number of people use QD rings. Are they really that repeatable?

Assuming you are speaking of aftermarket rings and not special designs like Blaser. Of the US models, I have several rifles with Talley rings and bases. They are well made and totally reliable.

I use Talley’s on a number of rifles. On a particularly accurate rifle I took the scope off between every shot on a five shot group. It was a sub 3/4” group. That rifle typically shoots 1/2” so I’d say yes, they are repeatable.

I’ve never tried that with my EAW pivot mounts but I have never had them fail to return to zero.

At a slightly lower price point, the Leupold QRW system is also very reliable. The lighter weight Leupold system, QR bases, is in my opinion, not a reliable system.

My 375 h and h has Talley mounts. Incredibly repeatable in my experience. They manufacture them about 30 min away from me in south Carolina and I’m glad to support them as well!!

I really like the Alaska Arms detachable rings. They return to zero nicely. The fellow who owns the shop is a very nice guy to chat with.

Thank you guys. I bet every one of you was apprehensive about the first set. Now what about the claw mounts you see on many doubles?

For traditional rifle mounts...I had Warne QD rings on my CZ550 and they always returned to zero. As others have said, Talley and Alaska Arms are both top quality as well.

I currently have Contessa QD mounts on my Blaser rifles that lock up like a bank vault.

Last edited:
Yes. Especially with custom bases and Talleys.

I just shot a 270 that had been out of the stock with the scope taken off while I moved. I reassembled it, tossed the scope back on and it shot exactly where I left it two years ago. This rifle has Talley bases and rings, not custom bases.

A slightly different tack but does anyone have experience of a red dot on Heym Dokter mount? Does it return to zero? This would be the Kahles red dot in particular.

It looks like a fair number of people use QD rings. Are they really that repeatable?
I only use the Blaser system now as far as detachable scopes go. It works.
I lost confidence in my detachable rings after having trouble on two major hunts with them. I am not sure how my gun was off so much but I am naming the rings. who knows.
I believe it is a fallacy that there is ever a reason to go to iron sights in a hurry. How many hunters take the scope off and practice with the irons? I doubt anyone does.
Philip

I believe it is a fallacy that there is ever a reason to go to iron sights in a hurry. How many hunters take the scope off and practice with the irons? I doubt anyone does.
Philip
We do it every range session for our last 3 shots. Knowing your equipment is one of the keys to success. Two is one, one is none. I also have the scope removed for cleaning to prevent any chemicals from coming in contact with the scope coatings.

Thank you guys. I bet every one of you was apprehensive about the first set. Now what about the claw mounts you see on many doubles?

German claw mounts and pivot mounts, guarantee the highest degree of repeatability in my opinion. They are also far more expensive options than others

Last edited:
How do you reattach the scope to make sure it is in right position on the rail? If it is off will this impact sighting?

How do you reattach the scope to make sure it is in right position on the rail? If it is off will this impact sighting?
The CZ550 action has a notch on the left rear square bridge that the rings will have a tab that sticks into for indexing to ensuring proper placement. Other rifles like the Winchester M70 will require a base or adapter to go to their specific scope rings.

Always make sure the scope is pushed forward against the scope base or receiver before tightening for consistent return to zero.

The CZ550 action has a notch on the left rear square bridge that the rings will have a tab that sticks into for indexing to ensuring proper placement. Other rifles like the Winchester M70 will require a base or adapter to go to their specific scope rings.

Always make sure the scope is pushed forward against the scope base or receiver before tightening for consistent return to zero.

Excellent! I have a CZ550 that I will be mounting my new Leopold VX-6 HD to. Now I need to get the QD rings.

Excellent! I have a CZ550 that I will be mounting my new Leopold VX-6 HD to. Now I need to get the QD rings.
1658669027727.png

Mine was a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 in Warne Low QD 1 inch rings.

I believe all the VX-6 scopes are 30mm tube diameter, so you may need to go with the medium height for the bolt to clear the ocular bell. There have to be other AH members who have the same set up as you are looking at for more accurate advice.

I have Talley QDs on my 416 Heym Express & M70 375 and they have always been spot on .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg