Delta ban on Trophies

I am sure of one thing. Those airline cargo holds are not coming back empty. That is waaayyy too many dollars lost. I looked into my crystal ball and predict Delta, American and others are going to spin off cargo shipments into a "new" company with a new logo and they will contract with them for freight. Delta saves face, bottom line is upheld.

Even it was taken legally it makes no difference. I have said before, a lot of people think those animals are protected, just like elephants are endangered and never hunted. I had an argument today with a co-worker that said those no good trophy hunters just take pictures of there kill and that is it. I told her ever so nicely to book a trip to Africa and find the truth out for herself, because you and few million other people need a real education. I told her they use the stomach and intestines, the bones even have value.....the anti's are stupid, I said fly to Botswana to see all those extinct elephants!!!! There are thousands upon thousands there!!!!!
The real issue with those kind of people is their unwillingness to separate emotion from logic. Conservation requires pragmatism, not feelings. I guarantee you they would not feel the same way about a lion if it came and took their wife or child from their home in the middle of the night. I actually read an insane comment on a forum earlier today where a poster said he would kill everyone in the thread to save the life of one tiger...these are the people who should be investigated by the NSA and subsequently be banned from flying on airlines like Delta. I would much rather have a big 5 trophy in the baggage hold of my airplane than some Eco-warrior hell bent on sending us back to the stone age.

I am sure of one thing. Those airline cargo holds are not coming back empty. That is waaayyy too many dollars lost. I looked into my crystal ball and predict Delta, American and others are going to spin off cargo shipments into a "new" company with a new logo and they will contract with them for freight. Delta saves face, bottom line is upheld.

I know many of you seem to believe their is an alternative business case, or that Delta's decision will come back to haunt them where it hurts economically, but I don't see it.

What percentage of their annual cargo transport is made up of African trophies? I'd bet a really good dinner in Dallas at DSC, it is less than .01% of their total cargo business. Remember, they fly 170 million passengers a year. What percentage of those are hunters? Only around 15,000 Americans participate in African safaris of any type each year. I would be stunned if more than half flew Delta. But for the sake of argument let's say all of them hold Delta tickets. And what percentage is that of 170 mil? I would have to see the actual cube and weight, but I bet the total trophy cargo lading per year could be handled by four or five flights - likely as few as two. Remember only a portion of those 15000 American visitors are actual hunters - a meaningful proportion are family and or observers. No one builds a international transport business case out of those numbers.

It is no wonder that Delta leadership is inevitably a lot more afraid of the mob than they are concerned about us. Can't blame them.

They will eventually respond to logic - I hope. It is our best weapon and we need to use it effectively. That is why I hope there is a consolidated push by our various organizations.

That said, this morning I witnessed a local deer hunter react almost gleefully to the ban. He was genuinely pleased that "all those rich fat bastards" going to Africa were getting put in their place.

I know many of you seem to believe their is an alternative business case, or that Delta's decision will come back to haunt them where it hurts economically, but I don't see it.

What percentage of their annual cargo transport is made up of African trophies? I'd bet a really good dinner in Dallas at DSC, it is less than .01% of their total cargo business. Remember, they fly 170 million passengers a year. What percentage of those are hunters? Only around 15,000 Americans participate in African safaris of any type each year. I would be stunned if more than half flew Delta. But for the sake of argument let's say all of them hold Delta tickets. And what percentage is that of 170 mil? I would have to see the actual cube and weight, but I bet the total trophy cargo lading per year could be handled by four or five flights - likely as few as two. Remember only a portion of those 15000 American visitors are actual hunters - a meaningful proportion are family and or observers. No one builds a international transport business case out of those numbers.

It is no wonder that Delta leadership is inevitably a lot more afraid of the mob than they are concerned about us. Can't blame them.

They will eventually respond to logic - I hope. It is our best weapon and we need to use it effectively. That is why I hope there is a consolidated push by our various organizations.

That said, this morning I witnessed a local deer hunter react almost gleefully to the ban. He was genuinely pleased that "all those rich fat bastards" going to Africa were getting put in their place.
I have seen the same reaction from some local hunters I know. Sometimes we can be our own worse enemies. I even had an outfitter here in the US complain to me that African outfitters were taking away a lot of his business. They probably have because African plain game hunting is the best bargain in the world even New Zealand is a pretty good bargain.

I'm not surprised at all, plenty of hate, anger and stupidity in local hunters. It's the same guys that spend 10k hunting for whitetail that will tell you they can't afford Africa...lol

I've heard it and in not so many words, read it on other hunting/shooting forums. Unfortunately some "hunters" don't have the mental horsepower to see the pscyhe trap set by PETA and the anti-s. As Benjamin Franklin is quoted: We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

For the record, I am neither rich (worked factory/blue collar jobs the majority of my life), fat (6 foot, 155 lb) nor a bastard, (my parents were married well before I was born).

I also think that we as hunters, we should write letters to these airlines and voice our opinions. What's going to be next, we will not be able to take our rifles/bows with us?

Have any of the African hunting organizations spoken up? Where are the various African government Ministries that have policies to allow hunting? Why haven't they made statements to cool the international flames? It is, afterall, their industry and their policy. We can't protect their industry, no matter how much we want to, if they don't do something themselves. They have to make a strong statement that differentiates between this particular case and the larger issue of hunting in their jurisdiction.

yeah, that ignorant little dingleberry is one of those "pure" hunters who have deluded themselves into thinking their way of hunting will somehow, magically be preserved. has the whole "class warfare" thing going for him too.

Somebody said this on another hunting forum while discussing the hypocrisy of those outraged by Cecil
" Maybe Delta ,American and United airlines should stop flying rich tourists to Africa to enjoy their lush vacations while the children of Africa starve."

Somebody said this on another hunting forum while discussing the hypocrisy of those outraged by Cecil
" Maybe Delta ,American and United airlines should stop flying rich tourists to Africa to enjoy their lush vacations while the children of Africa starve."
AMEN!(y)(y)(y)(y)

I'm also thinking they should quit allowing customers to come back from Africa with any diamonds at all. They might be blood diamonds....

I'm also thinking they should quit allowing customers to come back from Africa with any diamonds at all. They might be blood diamonds....
Truth

Here's a better alternative; All Americans and Europeans flying to Africa for non-business/tourist purposes must pay a surcharge directly proportional to fees not paid by the lack of hunting as an offset. The airlines would collect this payment to be directly deposited to the game department of whichever nation they travel to.
Lets see how THAT would go over.

Just sent Delta my thoughts along with additional facts to support legal hunting of Africa's game including the Big 5. As a frequent flier I would ask those on this site to let your voice heard. I usually fly Delta because of the direct flight from the U.S. to JNB. It is our time to educate businesses and people the great efforts and strides we as hunters and conservationists put towards the protection of wildlife.

dt

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in for a hell of a fight fellas...This is going to get a lot worse before it get's better. Pro hunting organizations had better to something FAST. World sentiment is no good towards hunters because they don't really understand what is going on and how we help wildlife. A major tv, radio, print campaign needs to happen quickly. Again where the HELL is SCI, NRA. and the rest of them? No comment???

Again where the HELL is SCI, NRA. and the rest of them? No comment???

They are fighting the good fight behind the scenes. I have told you guys in no certain terms we are outnumbered by the antis by a large number and no amount of education will change their mind. We have changed from a hunter-gather society....to a society behind computer screens, where no one does anything real anymore.

I hope you are right, but here's the problem I see...The public needs to be educated . That will never happen behind the scenes . Public education about hunting needs to change with the times. Have you ever talked to an anti hunter or just someone who knows nothing about our sport. They are amazed when I give them facts and the truth. A lot say "well that's ok then", or I never knew that. This is message we need to send. SCI is behind the times IMO when it comes to educating the public. Don't believe it? Just look at what's happening.

I have talked to them and most didn't know a damn thing. It doesn't mean they are supportive of hunting those endangered animals....all jokes aside, no one wants to find the truth, they just want to believe Disney and the media which don't know anything. It's kind of like conquering the myth that all people that go to Africa have millions of dollars

I have talked to them and most didn't know a damn thing. It doesn't mean they are supportive of hunting those endangered animals....all jokes aside, no one wants to find the truth, they just want to believe Disney and the media which don't know anything. It's kind of like conquering the myth that all people that go to Africa have millions of dollars
True, but we need to start somewhere. I don't have the answers but I do know something needs to be done to educate a least a few. No one knows for sure just how many can at least start thinking "maybe the wildlife does need hunting". Fantasy....Maybe. But it sure beats the heck out of saying NOTHING. Saying NOTHING for sure NOTHING will happen. We here are on the same team. We all feel the frustration and anger at what we read daily it seems. Who else but hunters and pro hunting organizations will educate the public. Enysee, by saying "they just don't want the truth" may have some relevance. But the golden rule salesman know is "don't prejudge" maybe they will buy something. Well maybe we can change some minds. Let them see the truth about hunters and there dollars, we know where the money goes and the good it does. They don't. Let them see where there donations are going... They wont like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warren03T

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross