Delta Airlines Issue

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Baron G58, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    My wife & I have encountered similar treatment with our scuba gear over the years taking our own personal equipment we know has been maintained instead of depending on rental gear that it's anybody's guess on when it was last torn down and soft parts replaced in far flung destinations, both from airline staff and TSA agents. Keeping our regulator and instrument sets which are truly life support equipment in our carryon luggage is instrumental to minimizing risks of damage or theft. Miami airport was a hotbed of inside ring theft of scuba gear and underwater cameras in particular. Once TSA kept claiming my wife's scuba mask was testing positive for explosive material and we waited the better part of an hour for a supervisor to appear who simply turned it over in her hands to then declare it was OK. Other times we've been told silly stuff that the instrument consoles on our regulators were potential bludgeons, again a supervisor was required to clear things up. We had printouts from the TSA web site and airline web site with us when these individual interpretations of published written policy occurred. We simply factor in that here in the USA we'll be pulled over as soon as our carryons go through the bag screening and know to request a supervisor if things get contentious as well as a printout of the surprise info.

As noted all such individuals were way less than pleasant to deal with especially after being challenged on their decrees. Then silent after their snap judgements were overridden. It helps to request a written / printed statement delineating the surprise statement both before and after arrival of a supervisor.

Notably, the biggest hassles are when leaving the US. When traveling between such destinations or teturning to the US, the airport folks are quite knowledgeable on such specialty items and policies regarding them, and don't have a personal stake in hassling you because they want your tourism monies to return to their destination. When honest mistakes have occurred they were able to be swiftly and courteously corrected with smiles and an apology. Our domestic airport personnel could take some lessons from folks at travel destinations but I don't honestly think it would help unfortunately.

ActionBob likes this.

2. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    My thought or assumption is....JNB is not accepting two rifles in one case under two different owners...just a guess..and Delta is interpreting it as one rife one case as per Joberg notice regardless of owners...just another issue du jour. Refer to my earlier post on Bowcase regulation interpretation. It seems that countries with prohibitive strict rules regarding even the possession of a firearm are the most likely to have no clue as to interpreting regulations and sharing those regulations with cooperating airlines or their passengers. Somewhat like a jockey winning the Kentucky Derby and interpreting NASCAR rules to Dale Earnhardt, jr.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    ActionBob likes this.

3. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    I'd just ask for a supervisor and deal with them and not the counter jockey.

Hogpatrol and GL1960 like this.

4. Baron G58

Baron G58 New Member

I did, it didn’t work.

5. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Did you use a travel agency or are you winging it?

6. Mike B.

Mike B. AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, British Columbia, Western US
    I'm curious what a travel agent is going to do for you in this case? Would they call the Delta staff at Will Rodgers Airport in Oklahoma City to get them to change their minds?

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Delta will dick around with someone who is winging it. It's been my experience that they won't mess around with a travel agency issued ticket holder. I use Gracy and when I check in, my tix say DOCs OK. Never had an issue anywhere or anytime using five different airlines. The way traveling with firearms is today, not using an agency that knows the latest rules, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.
    YMMV.

shootist~ likes this.

8. Mark Biggerstaff

Mark Biggerstaff BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I traveled Delta May 27 Houston-Atlanta-Johannesburg and returned same route June 7. No issues at all and had 2 rifles and some other items in case. No one said anything about 2 guns in the same case. Both were mine and on one 4457.

9. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    No problem in May with 2 firearms and some clothes in my Tuffpak in Johannesburg or Polokwane flying SAA

10. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I believe the description of this event is Delta employees "winging it". Sorry to hear involving a supervisor didn't help. Sometimes the knowledgeable customer is treated as an inconvenience / aggravation and bureaucracy never wants to admit to a mistake to the bitter end. They know you have a schedule to keep and can win out just by dragging things out if they want to.

I like @Areaonereal's analogy.

Hopefully the one rifle traveling with you will suffice, or if not, you'll have the opportunity to borrow or rent a rifle similar to the one you had your wife take back home.

Thanks for posting this experience it's helpful to me for one as someone who hasn't yet traveled internationally for hunting trips.

jeff likes this.

11. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    I hope any of you that experience any kind of this bad treatment and utter BS pursue to a finally. These kind of people need to be made accountable and disciplined properly.

12. tarbe

tarbe AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    shootist~ and Hogpatrol like this.

13. BnC 04

BnC 04 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
    Just received a response email from Henry @riflepermits.com response below as suspected:

Dear Sir

This is not correct, the SA Police do still accept 2 rifle in one case, I think it must have been a Delta check in agent not knowing the regulations.

But I will check today.

ack, jeff, CAustin and 1 other person like this.

14. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Plain ole anti hunting sentiment I believe.

Hogpatrol likes this.

15. markm

markm SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Most of the time its the tsa or the check in person .they just really dont have a clue .my last trip with delta out of philly i had to show and tell the ticket agent what to do.one has to realize that these people arent the sharpest .

Mr. Zorg and Hogpatrol like this.

16. Mort Hill

Mort Hill GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    SA, Zambia, Tanzania
    I would be writing a polite but stern letter to Delta upon my return and requesting compensation. They are idiots, and their lack of training for staff goes directly to your “inconvenience” as they would term it. I would state you had to change plans, alter your hunt plans, etc based on you only being able to take only one rifle. I would then assign this monetary value to this “inconvenience”, and I would copy my lawyers name, title and address on the letter whether you involve him or not. I would demand some kind of compensation for your trouble, realized or not.

17. Baron G58

Baron G58 New Member

Travel agency

18. Hunting Hitman

Hunting Hitman AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Keep you receipts and when you get to Johannesburg, speak with them and have them send you an email starting it’s not accurate. I believe this is a Delta employee that is misinformed.

jeff and Philip Glass like this.

19. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    As long as it is not a violation at the point of departure why would Delta be concerned regarding what the requirement would be regarding your rifle/rifles in one case when you arrive at your destination...did they count your ammo to see if it was in the limit specified by SA...of course not.

Hogpatrol and Philip Glass like this.

20. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Lie! Complete lie! There is no such regulation. You got the latest dumbass ticket agent! File a complaint!
    So sorry,
    Philip

Hogpatrol and markm like this.