Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi all,

Been a long time! As many of you know, things in RSA have been pretty intense... We do the best with what we have!

1) This first question is mainly aimed at the PHs and land owners, but please feel free to chip in even if you don't fall into that category:

I'm not 100% sure how hunts work for overseas clients, but at this point I assume that the hunt usually has a distinct/main species around which the hunt revolves. If this assumption is incorrect, PLEASE correct. Assuming I'm correct, what are the main species on which safaris focus?

2) To the guys who make the effort to come over to the continent, is there a single species that (mainly) entices you or is it the experience in general?

The motivation behind this is simply that I'm interested to see how things differ between local hunters and those coming from overseas, assuming there is any.

TIA, hope you're all staying safe!

I'll bite, as a hunter from the U.S. who just planned, participated in, and returned from his first African trip...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me, stewing on the idea of getting to Africa for my entire adult life, it was basically 3 things. First and foremost was kudu; I fell in love with them at first sight, over 30 years ago. Number two on that list was buffalo, and it might have been a 1B to a 1A sort of thing, but for the longest time I did not believe a buffalo was something I'd be able to afford. And really, at the top of the list, for me, is lion. BUT... I do NOT believe I'll ever be able to afford the old style, Roosevelt-Hemingway kind of thing, and some of the affordable options - while I'd be willing to go that route - do not allow for the import of your trophy or if they do, it is difficult (correct me if I'm wrong on that). And I'm not going to hunt something I can bring back.

After that, yes, pretty much anything African. I have some things I have low or no desire for (hartebeest) and others I'd love to have a crack at on a second trip (black wildebeest, nyala, eland).

I guess that's more than the single species you asked about in part 2, but for me it was kudu/buffalo, and - money not being an object - lion.

Also, gotta say... this question had a bit of a Kevin feel to it... (I like your queries Kevin!)

The whole adventure is important. Key species are also important but the opportunity to hunt multiple new and different species in a weeks time also is a huge draw. Everybody has a favorite that draws them-kudu or leopard or elephant or maybe the tiny ten-all are opportunities I can’t get here at home.

haven't been yet, but working on it. cape buffalo is what I really want, but I'll be happy with PG like eland, zebra, kudu, black and blue wildebeest, gemsbok, hartebeest, topi, roan (more than sable)

I choose one or two key species, then look through the whole species list available and give them i hierarchy as to what I would prefer to shoot. I know going in that I will not get all of them and maybe not any of them, but that’s the game and at the end of the day you can only shoot what Africa and your hunting efforts provide and your wallet can bear. Aside from the main focus “the animal you booked the trip for” just have fun hunt hard and see what you get.

1. Some hunts are packages especially PG hunts. The DG hunts are specialized for a particular animal or two.
2. I hope most go for the experience first of all. Most will go on their first safari with a preconceived idea of what they want to hunt. When they get there that may change. Africa changes you!
Good discussion.
Philip

1. I think that local hunters can hunt for any reasons, like they hunt in my country in EU. Some hunt, just to be in the woods and connect with nature, some hunt for meat, some hunt for trophies, some hunt for the company of good freinds.

But foreign hunters come to experience africa, and in start they want to experience more species. I think motivation to hunt africa for foreinger at start is not meat. And it is not single species. Foreigner will want more species, and generally an option to take souvenir - which means trophy.
Local hunter will not alway be motivated by trophy. And I beleive, tribal hunter will never look for trophy, but will look for bush meat and biltong, in animals of opprotunity.

Some species are iconic, and will have bigger demand then the others in the eyes of foreign hunter
But how to decide what is iconic animal for every hunter is individual. It can depend on hunters general knowledge of africa, or maybe just what he thinks what is most interesting for him, without having idea of some other species. (there are more then 200 species in africa, and cca 50-60 species in south africa only, and I believe 99% of foreigners will not know about all of them. So, typical animal as a main focus of hunt will be diferent from hunter to hunter.
The foreigner will go for Plains game safari, in average 5-7 trophies, and in that list will be one or two must have, and the rest will be second priority.

2. for me, it is experience in general.
I want to see as much as possible of different places, and hunt typical animals for the place. This will be typical for an average plains game safari.

But, sometimes, hunter will focus to one single species. Like one of the big 5, or something like hunting bongo in rain forest. But when hunt one single species, it is specialized hunt, and in general quite expensive. So not for everybody.

I beleive, that 90% of safaris in south africa for foreign hunters are general plains game safari, just as i descibed before with one or two must have animals, and other animals as second priority

For myself and most hunters from the US the first hunt is typically a multi-species Plains Game hunt, often as a package. I wouldn't say there is single species that is focused on, we'd like to take all that we have on a package and maybe more. But I would say there is preferences. Most everyone wants a kudu the first hunt, I bet over 75% of first trips have one. For me it was kudu and zebra being the most iconic initially. But the rest of the animals are often just as important. After that initial hunt people tend to focus more on a single species with secondary species of interest. I bet that's all over the map and will depend on what they didn't take on their first trip and their preferences in general. And then the whole experience is a big part of the trip. The land we are hunting and often trips to national parks, etc. really make the trip all that much more memorable. An added trip to Etosha Nat'l Park was a big sell on my first trip.

For me going on my first trip earlier this year, it was definitely for the experience, as being the No. 1 goal. I had a typical Eastern Cape 7 animal package with a Nyala added in. Would have to say getting that animal plus the Kudu I did, became very close seconds. Next year will be for targeted plains game primarily but just being over there will still be just as important. Thinking about it every day already!

I research and decide on what species I want for which hunt. Budget figures into it quite heavily. For instance, when I decided on a buf for one hunt, finances dictated what other pg I could take. Same when I chose eland for a hunt. That was primary and other species fit in around it.

Of course, the adventure and visiting with friends played a major part in all my safaris. I hunted with the same outfitter 3 times and we became good friends, not just PH and client. To me, that is as important as collecting several heads. Gotta have a good rapport with the PH if you want a successful hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois