Deer camp 2022

Congrats on owning your own piece of heaven. With a little work, you can open up some shooting lanes, and maybe even put up a feeder (if the law allows) and try to keep/attract the deer. Are food plots allowed? Plant something that will do well in the winter, you keep the deer, and you help them survive the winter too.

Congrats on owning your own piece of heaven. With a little work, you can open up some shooting lanes, and maybe even put up a feeder (if the law allows) and try to keep/attract the deer. Are food plots allowed? Plant something that will do well in the winter, you keep the deer, and you help them survive the winter too.

I want to design a workable plan. I have a dream of retiring to this property and maintaining it as a hunting estate. It would be a lot of fun to create a good environment for the animals we see here including such as ducks, deer, moose and bears. We have all these animals.

I plan to look into it more as it is something I need to understand better.

This is one of our smaller food plots. This plot has clover, oats & rye. We spread the seeds on this plot by hand. Not much to it. It's taken us about 3 seasons to open up the area, lots of blood and sweat, but worth it. :)

plot.jpg

I've always found it interesting when North Americans talk about having a hunting cabin etc. It sounds like a great concept. When people in Canada, or even North America generally, talk about having a deer camp, how big a property are you talking about? Do you own the land freehold or is it a leased hunting rights arrangement? How much do such places normally cost?

Exactly, that is the history.

We are probably 6 hours from Winnipeg. The increase in activity is noticeable. When the twin more highways I think it will just get worse.

Interestingly, met a young fellow who had set up a stand, spreader and camera. He confirmed that he had deer on his camera until about 4 days ago. Then nothing. Same with a buddy of his. We have had a heavy weather system and I am wondering whether this caused the animals to hunker down in deeper timber.
Lol, the weather that you get, usually we get it a couple of days later in Northern Lower Michigan!
This year, my bear hunting was done just southeast of Flin Flon, MB.
I'm going back next year. It's more of the way I want to hunt. Remote, plenty of game, a variety of game, and great fishing for after your hunt is done!

I've always found it interesting when North Americans talk about having a hunting cabin etc. It sounds like a great concept. When people in Canada, or even North America generally, talk about having a deer camp, how big a property are you talking about? Do you own the land freehold or is it a leased hunting rights arrangement? How much do such places normally cost?
There is such a huge variety of ownership. I back on to Crown land so I access a lot more than I own.
IMG-20221020-WA0020.jpg

Here in Maine I have 56 acres. Property was logged just before I bought it. Have been cleaning up and establishing lanes for the past few years. We camp her in the summer months. Last year we put in a 10x26 cabin. Amish built, they brought it in on a trailer and dropped it off. I finished the interior During the summer was t guest used as a guest cabin, hunting season it is deer camp for myself, son in law and grandson. At some point in time I’ll put up a proper cabin.
Actually there right now. Tomorrow is youth day. Son in law and grandson are on their way up. Cost can vary — my slice of heaven cost me 30k. Take the same property and move it North or west of here about an hour and you would be looking at $100,000 plus for the same size property.
IMG_9230.JPG
this doe was right outside the cabin tonight when I was going out to meet the boys for dinner.
IMG_9216.JPG

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_6741.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6772.JPG

Here in Maine I have 56 acres. Property was logged just before I bought it. Have been cleaning up and establishing lanes for the past few years. We camp her in the summer months. Last year we put in a 10x26 cabin. Amish built, they brought it in on a trailer and dropped it off. I finished the interior During the summer was t guest used as a guest cabin, hunting season it is deer camp for myself, son in law and grandson. At some point in time I’ll put up a proper cabin.
Actually there right now. Tomorrow is youth day. Son in law and grandson are on their way up. Cost can vary — my slice of heaven cost me 30k. Take the same property and move it North or west of here about an hour and you would be looking at $100,000 plus for the same size property. View attachment 495817 this doe was right outside the cabin tonight when I was going out to meet the boys for dinner.
View attachment 495818
View attachment 495819
View attachment 495820
View attachment 495821
View attachment 495822
That's a great looking cabin! Nice area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoraLazenb

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.