Dangerous Game bullets

yamoon

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jun 11, 2022
Messages
404
Reaction score
1,654
Location
Junction City, Ks
Member of
NRA Life, ASSRA, GGCA
I have often wondered if depleted uranium wouldn’t be the perfect core material for DG solids, 68% more dense than lead. Just thinking, I know it is difficult to get.
Mike
 
You planning on eating that?

It’s a pretty good anti-armor round, I doubt it would expand well.

If you’re just going for density, tungsten or bismuth would be great……. But they have other problems like barrel life, machinability, or brittleness.

One possibility is that the materials we currently use for bullets are already the best practical choice.
 
...I used Speer African Grand Slam .458 bullets in my .458WM. I used them exclusively on PAC elephant. Side brain shot...complete pass thru.
73.5 gr of AA 2230 without compaction. Velocity 2185fps. This was my load for accuracy and velocity. My rifle, Winchester M-70 with 24" barrel.

Some time ago, Speer discontinued the AGS.
 
Tungsten as a core material would be the logical choice to boost the weight of bullets. I can imagine how a Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer or Swift Breakaway solid with a Tungsten core would penetrate. It’d be a good choice when hunting a T-Rex.
 
...I used Speer African Grand Slam .458 bullets in my .458WM. I used them exclusively on PAC elephant. Side brain shot...complete pass thru.
73.5 gr of AA 2230 without compaction. Velocity 2185fps. This was my load for accuracy and velocity. My rifle, Winchester M-70 with 24" barrel.

Some time ago, Speer discontinued the AGS.
It's gathered a small stock pile of these for my 460. My current solids load is 500gr at about 2500fps. I've been wondering what these speer african tungsten cores will do at the same.
 
Ive seen the .458" tungsten core bullets pop up on GB from time to time. I usually toss a bid in but they always sell for a small fortune.

Depleted uranium seems a bit ambitious... And possibly unhealthy for the shooter. But i honestly know nothing about it.
 
Depleted Uranium is 40% less radioactive than normal uranium. So, probably not a good idea.
 
Depleted Uranium would only be an option for FMJ bullets, but it has more disadvantages than advantages. It is radioactive, harmful health for the user, contaminates the wound and is pyrophoric, meaning it spontaneously ignites at very high temperatures. That might not happen upon impact on a game body, but it is still a factor. Tungsten is a good alternative to lead and has also been used by Speer. I owned a few of such bullets caliber 458 myself, but I don't understand how they could be sold in countries where the use of armor piercing bullets is strictly prohibited for civilians.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,712
Members
169,832
Latest member
clevarphreakun1980
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top