CZ550 vs Ruger Hawkeye African in 416?

I hear you Ruraldoc,
Others, perhaps even a Gun Wriiter here and there have said the “hog back” shaped rifle stock is not good for handling recoil.
Again, I found the opposite to be true.

So, the answer must be that it all depends on individual differences in each shooter’s physical characteristics, combined with individual shooting style.

On that topic, I have fired only one Weatherby production line made rifle.
It was a Japanese “Mk V”, caliber .300 Wby.
And after one shot, my cheek felt like someone had hit me in the face with a piece of framing lumber.
The fellow who owned that rifle said he never once experienced that discomfort, with hand loads or factory ammunition either one.

Evidently, “one man’s bread” truely “is another man’s poison”.
I only have one hogback style stock on my CZ .375. I don't have it scoped yet, but I kind of like it. The recoil seems to "roll" upward a bit instead of straight back. Maybe when scoped I'll change my opinion but I enjoy shooting it.

The rifle/stock measurement that determines line of sight during cheek weld is the "drop at comb". I think it varies some depending on where on the comb the shooter rests his cheek, the eye relief if using a scope and the geometry and size of the shooter's head.

I'm probably in the minority, as I have a Ruger 416 African and I really like the rifle. It shoots lights out with 400 grain Barnes TSX ammunition from Buffalo Bore. When researching ammo availability for the 416 Ruger, I found 3 other companies beside Hornady that load for it: Buffalo Bore (3 loads), Choice Ammunition (5 loads). and Gunwerks (1 load). And there are other places, like Hendershot's, that can work up a load for you if you don't reload. So there are other options for ammo besides Hornady. And it's a great lower cost option for a DG rifle without spending a fortune. Just saying....

Tokoloshe you mind if I ask an ignorant question? Why no 416's in Zimbabwe? My guy in SA has the 375H&H and 416Rigby, just curious.
Not an ignorant question. I honestly do not know the year exactly, 1970’s I believe the “arms embargo on Zimbabwe was enacted. It is illegal to permanently export firearms and or ammunition into Zimbabwe.

Some ammunition seems to find its way in to zimbabwe. I will leave the hows up to you to figure out. It is illegal to possess ammunition that you do not have a license for. As a result few PHs will have ammunition except for the rifle they shoot. When you specified .375 & .416 I assume you mean Ruger caliber, which is not that popular.

This was more of a hypothetical scenario. I was curious how others thought the Ruger in it's proprietary chambering stacked up against the CZ.

It seems the general consensus here is to go with the tried and true CZ in the 416 Rigby even given it's higher price point.

I'm actively searching for a Sako Brown Bear in 416 Rigby at the moment, if that fails I will be adding a second 550 to the collection.

This was more of a hypothetical scenario. I was curious how others thought the Ruger in it's proprietary chambering stacked up against the CZ.

It seems the general consensus here is to go with the tried and true CZ in the 416 Rigby even given it's higher price point.

I'm actively searching for a Sako Brown Bear in 416 Rigby at the moment, if that fails I will be adding a second 550 to the collection.
Yeah good luck with that one. I've looked for the Brown Bear too but they're def few and far between.

Since I commented on this thread some days ago, I've been thinking (dangerous) about the OP's question. Right NOW, I would still go with the Rigby. Five-ten years from now, I'm not so sure. The AFFORDABLE .416 Rigby chambered rifles formerly manufactured by Ruger (RSM) and CZ are discontinued along with their parts. There's still many of those today available on the market but they are increasingly unaffordable for the average buyer. A factory new CZ Rigby in 2018 could still be had for $1-1.2K. I'm sure the Ruger RSMs were affordably priced in their heyday too. Now, beyond those two brands for a USED rifle in the $2-3.5K, one is looking at least $4K and up for anything USED in .416 Rigby. Still plenty of ammo and brass around though for now. But if I were Ruger, I'd be manufacturing a LOT of their three Hawkeye models in .416 Ruger at a $1250-1350 price point (even SS!) along with plenty of fairly priced ammo and brass from Hornady in an attempt to gain more market share in the .416 market. Sure, the fine Remington .416 cartridge is still out there in quantity, but at what used/new rifle price point? I'm focusing here on the average first time Large Bore and/or DG rifle buyer with a limited firearms budget like I was when buying a few CZs from 2018-2021 and still am now. One can find less expensive push feed rifles in .375 Ruger such as Mossberg or Savage, but the CRF .416 Ruger Hawkeye models' price point are hard to beat for a quality rifle IMHO, especially for a new large bore rifle enthusiast.

If you had the choice today, which would you go with?

I'm looking at both a new Ruger Hawkeye African in 416 Ruger and a used CZ550 in 416 Rigby.

Other than the different cartridges, the CZ is second hand, comes with two stocks (wood and synthetic) and a Luepold VX6 scope. It's a non AHR model.

However it costs over 2x the price of the new Ruger.

Thoughts?
As to the rifles themselves, I would not be surprised or shocked if either needed a bit of smoothing out to feed certain bullets.

I only have one CZ which is in 458 Lott / 458 Winchester with a synthetic stock. The prior owner had sent it to AHR. In its present configuration, I like the rifle quite a bit. But, it has been significantly modified.

I have a couple or so 20" stainless 416 Rugers. I have had a couple others that I gifted. Of these, some I did do some polishing of feed ramp and rails. I am certainly not a gunsmith, but they will feed any of the several types of .416 bullets that I have. The Rugers, as with most other brands, I usually replace the stock to a synthetic to my liking, and adjust or replace the triggers. Pretty much my standard routine with any off the shelf rifle.

I would add DoubleTap to the previously mentioned factory loads for the 416 Ruger.

Ya? Congrats! What did you get?
Went with the tried and true CZ550 Safari Magnum. I bought one that comes with both the original wood stock as well as a synthetic stock, both of the "American" style vs the Hogsback on my 375.

The rifle also came with a Leupold VX-6 scope which I can't complain about.

Went with the tried and true CZ550 Safari Magnum. I bought one that comes with both the original wood stock as well as a synthetic stock, both of the "American" style vs the Hogsback on my 375.

The rifle also came with a Leupold VX-6 scope which I can't complain about.
Sounds like you’re all set up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeroldBonn

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.